Mar 13, 2017, 07:13 AM
@Tomas

Mail was sent out ;-)

CU

Thomas
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2017, 07:14 PM

Possible Print Failures

You may encounter print failures due to lack of internal supports when spanning wider gaps as shown in the larger box section (middle section first image), when the upper surface is created.
Mar 16, 2017, 05:00 AM

Kodo electronics

Hi all
My attempt to print this beautiful bird get well
Now electronics.
I got this combo and don't know which propeller size to choose
Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards
Karol
Mar 19, 2017, 04:01 PM
Retired CAD guy
I remember Cedar Point. Is it still there /
Mar 23, 2017, 04:36 AM
FPV only!
Any plans for FPV compartments?
Last edited by YureZzZ; Mar 23, 2017 at 06:31 AM.
Mar 27, 2017, 08:11 AM
www.3DprintedRCplanes.com
Planning to design a dedicated FPV plane later this year. Targeting October most probably.
Mar 30, 2017, 06:55 AM

Finished

Printed, glued, covered, assembled - ready to go! Ok, ok, it already took 2 month to finish
I first printed test parts in PLA and tried to cover them with HK covering film and then Oracover, both with no luck. Nowhere near to!
Then I decided to print it in ABS, because of the better heat resistance while ironing and also in sun. Meantime I ordered some Solarfilm, which finaly worked perfect for me.

Great design, thank you KRAGA!

Not flown yet...

Regards,
Aerosol
Mar 30, 2017, 02:42 PM
Hi Aerosol2,

I am very interested in what you have done. You found that ABS worked much better than PLA because it can handle higher temperature. How did you go about in ironing on the Solarfilm? Did you have to prepare the surface of the plane ABS parts in anyway to get it to stretch the Solarfilm evenly over the wings.? Was there any temptation for the ABS to melt during the heating process?

I have just started printing 4 segments of the wing with PLA and the covering test I have done all failed .

Johan510
Mar 30, 2017, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric-2000
With the proper settings Kraga's Kodo printed very well on my printer. I used clear PLA at 205 degrees with a heated bed of 55 degrees. Here is the way I covered the Kodo. I used 1/2" Kapton tape and wrapped the ends of the prints. This gave support and was not affected by the heat of the iron. I looked at other options but with this being a glider I did not want to add any more weight than necessary. After I taped all of the open ends I sprayed the airframe with a dusting of 3M77 then ironed on the film. I used the recommended SolarFilm with great success. The weather has been pretty crazy and have not got a window to fly the Kodo yet.
Hi Electric -2000,

I see you were successful using PLA. Can you please elaborate what your settings were and at what temperature you ironed the cover on to the plane wing.
Did the 3M77 have a big role to play and did you have to smooth the wing sections at all before applying the film to cover it.

Johan510
Last edited by Johan510; Mar 30, 2017 at 03:31 PM.
Mar 30, 2017, 05:42 PM
Hi Johan510,

No, I didn't prepare the ABS before ironing in any way. Just covered the wings like wooden wings (I guess, because this was my first covering job).
And no, there was no tendency for the ABS to melt. I was not VERY careful. Quite easy with Solarfilm Lite, using 100C to stick and 125-130C to shrink.

I also tried to cover ABS with Oracover 3M77 sprayed before. Didn't work, ABS melted - fail!
Changing over from HK film or Oracover to Solarfilm Lite did the trick. Solarfilm Lite is so much softer, thinner, smoother, whatever.

Maybe PLA also worked for me, if I started with Solarfilm Lite.

Aerosol
Last edited by Aerosol2; Mar 31, 2017 at 01:36 PM. Reason: changed "Solarfilm" to "Solarfilm Lite" to avoid misunderstanding
Mar 30, 2017, 07:09 PM
DWFoamies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan510
Hi Electric -2000,
I see you were successful using PLA. Can you please elaborate what your settings were and at what temperature you ironed the cover on to the plane wing.
Did the 3M77 have a big role to play and did you have to smooth the wing sections at all before applying the film to cover it.
Johan510
I used a very light mist of 3M77 over the PLA, this was to hold the covering in place while I ironed the edges. I learned way back about covering large surfaces, you only iron the edges and shrink the remaining tight. That said, I basically created an envelope around the wing by sealing the leading and trailing edges to the underside film, then shrank it tight. Then I went back and hit the leading & trailing edges with a bit more heat from the iron to get it to adhere to the PLA, doing it this way allowed me to control the heat much better.
Mar 31, 2017, 02:27 AM
Electric 2000,

Thank you for this valuable information. Very much appreciated. What was the temperature setting on your Iron?
Mar 31, 2017, 02:53 AM
Aerosul2,

Your input is very much appreciated. Looks like the answer to the problem is Solarfilm Lite. Will retry with PLA first before moving on to ABS.
Last edited by Johan510; Mar 31, 2017 at 03:51 AM.
Mar 31, 2017, 01:49 PM

Maiden successful

Maidend mine today. Wow, this bird is amazing!! And it survived
Fantastic airplane performance, this was far more than expected.

Perfect day

Aerosol
Mar 31, 2017, 06:34 PM
Retired CAD guy
I might have to try this one later this spring-summer.