Sep 22, 2016, 10:42 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

1.9 4WD Barrage Brushed RTR

I saw this in an email and was curious about the thing and saw there were no threads about it. It seems like a good entry level "scale" crawler I just don't like the battery, you guys think it will run on a lipo?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/19-4wd-b...ator4_09222016

-MM
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2016, 01:12 AM
scratched but still going
At first view it looks very much like the rgt racing rock cruiser. Both look like 1/18th based cars with some modifications to make a 1/10th body fit.
Oct 02, 2016, 02:17 PM
For the money I think there are better crawlers out there...
Oct 02, 2016, 04:57 PM
scratched but still going
Amain lists it as a 1/12
Nov 15, 2016, 02:20 PM
Headed down the far side.
Hey folks,

I have a bunch of RC airplanes, but I know nothing about RC vehicles except I do not like all those strange looking buggy types and monster trucks. "Real" looking vehicles appeal to me, and this Barrage looks great to me when compared to the "strange" vehicles which I suspect are the most favored for most folks.

I ordered a Barrage from Horizon Hobby yesterday at the $179 sticker price less a $25 coupon for a net price of $155 shipping included. Yep, I bought what I hope is a crawler truck based primarily on price and its appeal to my eye. I did view some videos of this thing crawling over what seemed like very formidable rocks.

After reading about several more expensive crawler types including the Traxxis Telluride, it appeared some folks said they were made of steel and other folks said they were crap and always breaking. I liked the Telluride, but at $300 with no discounts I could find, and with just as many bad comments about parts breaking and seemingly poor customer service by Traxxis, I had given up on the idea of buying any RC vehicle and figured I would stick to airplanes.

Then I saw this Barrage for a much better price, and it looked rather nice to me. I also knew I had a $25 coupon to use with Horizon, so that also made it more attractive to me. No, the pinkish color does not appeal to me, but it does not have all the crazy graphics on it like so many others, and I think I might be able to paint the body (maybe a metallic blue) if I ever get to feeling ambitious.

I am an old guy living in a townhouse with a bit of a hill for my back yard. I plan to sit on my back porch and drive it around the back yard without climbing rocks and going through mud and water. I am hoping my rather gentle use of this crawler will allow me to avoid a whole lot of repairs. I may even go out to sit on my front porch and run it around the cul-de-sac since traffic is not a problem.

I know this is not a top of the line vehicle, but I am hoping it will meet my less than strenuous requirements. I feel somewhat ashamed to admit I am anxiously awaiting its arrival like a little kid.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Nov 15, 2016, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot_MM
I saw this in an email and was curious about the thing and saw there were no threads about it. It seems like a good entry level "scale" crawler I just don't like the battery, you guys think it will run on a lipo?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/19-4wd-b...ator4_09222016

-MM
Yes - lipo compatible esc.
Nov 15, 2016, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch_ed
At first view it looks very much like the rgt racing rock cruiser. Both look like 1/18th based cars with some modifications to make a 1/10th body fit.
It's the same rig pretty much. Electronics, tires and wheels, and body only make it different.

Great first scale rig at least from my rgt point of view. I love mine and fun to tinker with. Axle parts from the losi mini crawler / vaterra slickrock fit with little to no modifications. Which opens up to making it perform better if you want to.

Check out the rgt rock cruiser thread on here for some ideas.
Nov 16, 2016, 12:34 PM
Looks the same as the new FTX outback too?

They seem to be ok from the opinions I've seen so far, only a small 370 motor but apparently they still have plenty of power. I think the only negative I read about was the articulation wasn't class leading, maybe because it's a relatively small chassis wearing big wheels...
Nov 16, 2016, 05:19 PM

This is the reason it doesn't flex well. Trim them down and it does better. Or swap to vaterra slickrock aluminum adjustable shocks which I will be after I get some hardware.

Also the chassis is full size the inside measurement is 70mm same as scx10. Really the only 1/18-1/16 on it are the axles, tans and motor, shocks. You could swap a scx10 skid and axles and have a short wheel base scx10 with some work.
Last edited by hillbillyrc; Nov 16, 2016 at 05:27 PM.
Nov 16, 2016, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowinaminute
Looks the same as the new FTX outback too?

They seem to be ok from the opinions I've seen so far, only a small 370 motor but apparently they still have plenty of power. I think the only negative I read about was the articulation wasn't class leading, maybe because it's a relatively small chassis wearing big wheels...
The ftx outback, ecx Barrage, rgt rock cruiser are all the same.

Ftx and rgt look to have same 2 in 1 esc/rx as the ecx it has a esc and rx separate. Only difference is have seen .
Nov 17, 2016, 09:49 PM
Hey folks,

It is getting too cold for me to be getting up early to catch the morning calm for flying my RC airplanes, and I thought it might be a little warmer driving an RC vehicle in the afternoons since I would not have to worry about the regular afternoon breezes. Having absolutely no experience with RC vehicles, I looked them up online and found most of them were rather strange looking things that did not look like any truck I ever owned.

Then I stumbled across the ECX Barrage. It looked pretty much like a real vehicle, and the price seemed pretty good. Being a fairly new product, there is not a whole lot written about it on the two vehicle forums I found. Some of the posts written about the Barrage were rather negative, but it seemed the negative posts were made by folks who were serious users who required only the best competition type vehicles. My intended use would not be very demanding, and I figured the Barrage just might fit the bill for me; I ordered one Tuesday from Horizon Hobby, and I received my Barrage today.

Seriously folks, what do you all do with these things that would make some of you write such negative comments? From the pictures online, the Barrage looked a bit pink to me, and pink is not exactly my color. Upon opening the box, however, the color is actually a tan rather than pink, and that is a big relief for me. This thing really looks great to me.

Getting this thing running was a lot easier than the airplanes I have been flying. After plugging the battery in the Barrage, I touched the bind plug, the receiver started flashing, I turned the transmitter on, and it was bound just as simple as that. I have some airplanes with GPS that really get you to jump through hoops to get them bound and ready for flight. This was a piece of cake.

With its wheels supported off the ground, the drive and steering worked properly, so I put it on the floor and gave it a try. Getting the feel of the "trigger" throttle and steering wheel was quick and easy, so I took it outside to run around my rock garden even though it was quite dark. Daylight would have been better, but the lights in front are really bright allowed me to navigate fairly well.

Back in the house, I pulled the NIMH battery to charge it with the stock charger provided. I have a ThunderPower charger I use for my airplane LiPo batteries, and it will also charge the NIMH batteries, but I do not know how to do it - hence my charging it on the stock charger. After measuring battery compartment, I ordered four 2200 MAH (2S) LiPo batteries which will be a lot easier for me to charge. Yep, I should be able to change my charger from LiPo to NIMH, but I am old, and everyone knows about old dogs and new tricks.

Looking at the construction of this vehicle with metal frame and a lot of other metal parts, this seems like a well made product to me. I will not be using it in mud or crossing creeks, but I might run it in the snow if I am not too cold. Otherwise, I will probably spend most of my time running it on the grass hill behind my townhouse. I suppose I could set up some obstacles, but I certainly will not be doing the things you see the Barrage doing in the three or four videos out there.

Like most Ready To Fly airplanes, the transmitter which comes stock seems to be a no-frills one with only two channels. I would not use RTF transmitters for airplanes, but this cheap two-channel transmitter seems like it will work alright for my needs. With airplanes, the cheap RTF transmitters do not have much signal strength, and the planes can lose the signal and disappear. That should not be a problem for me in my backyard.

What modifications do I plan? Not much - no ambition. I will likely be satisfied to sit in my rocking chair and watch it work. If I ever do get a jolt of ambition, I might like to put some working headlights and taillights in the body, and it might not be too difficult to add a few decorative things to the body just for show.

Again, I really cannot imagine a nicer truck at that price for crawling around. To me it is a mechanical marvel. Two stock pics are attached, and this thing actually looks like a truck - with some big wheels.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Last edited by David Wile; Apr 15, 2017 at 11:28 AM.
Nov 18, 2016, 11:56 AM
I enjoy mine rgt. I got it to tinker with also which is a good platform and cheap to do so.
Nov 18, 2016, 03:29 PM
Hey Hill,

I checked out the RGT thread on this forum, and it seems some things are different between the Barrage and the RGT. Please tell me if I am wrong, but all the RGT bodies I saw look a lot more finished than the Barrage. They all seem to have things like door handles, windshield wipers, and it looks like the bodies have headlights in them. Do they really have headlights in the bodies as well as the face bar?

From what was said on that thread, the RGT has a 280 motor while the Barrage has a 370 motor. Is the difference in motors a big deal? It would also appear to me the tires on the Barrage are bigger than the RGT. It seems you have noted other differences, but I do not know enough to understand them. I like the big tires and somewhat scale look of the Barrage, but the bodies I saw on the RGT really looked a lot nicer than my Barrage. I am not unhappy with the body on my Barrage, but I do appreciate the good looks of the RGT bodies I saw.

Quote:
...I got it to tinker with...
I read on the other thread what all you have done to your RGT - you call that tinkering? Get serious. You are an RC version of a motorhead. I understand some of the modifications you did, but there is a lot I do not know. EK2000 seems to have burned his motor up, and I was reading what you said about the different gear ratios contributing to the problem, but it really was over my head. If and when I toast my motor, I will have to get on the thread and ask where to go from there.

You also said about it being cheap to "tinker" with the RGT platform. Really? Reading what you have done and even the parts you bought that do not fit or work sounds very expensive to me. Perhaps that is because I am a retired old man, and I really am not interested in wading in creeks and mud or flying over whatever those things are that folks go racing over and get airborne. That has to break parts, and I would rather avoid that.

This morning I really ran my Barrage for the first time, and I will post about that experience in a separate post.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Nov 18, 2016, 04:50 PM
Hey folks,

Yesterday I came home just before dusk and found my new Barrage had been delivered. The battery had enough of a charge for me to bind the transmitter and receiver, and by that time it was dark, but I did take it out to my rock garden to give it a try with its lights showing the way. In just ten or fifteen minutes I was able to get a feel for the Barrage and knew it would be even more fun to run it in the daylight.

After charging the NiMH battery overnight, I went out this morning to start running the Barrage. The sales literature says it is supposed to be able to run for 30 minutes or more with the 900 MaH stock battery, but sales talk is usually less than accurate. In this case, however, it really did run more than 30 minutes. Actually, I was out in the cold for nearly three hours having a ball running the Barrage. Most of my running was very slow crawling over the rocks and things in my rock garden, and I suspect that type of use was more battery friendly than running around a track at high speeds, but I am not sure about that.

This Barrage is absolutely great fun. It is hard to believe how well this truck goes over the rocks in my garden. I also ran it around the hill in my back yard while I watched from the warmer environment inside my house. The transmitter had no problem sending its signal from inside my house to my back yard. While in front of my house, I also ran the Barrage down the street to the end of the cul-de-sac without any loss of signal. I do not know how far that was, but it was far enough away that it was difficult for me to see it well.

Afterward, I finally figured out how to charge the NiMH battery on my ThunderPower charger. I charged the 900 MaH battery at 1/2 C (.45 Amps). Two hours thirty minutes later, my charger said it was finished with the battery at 8.93 volts and holding 1125 MaH. Much better than charging 9 hours overnight on the stock trickle charger.

Well, I may not be a serious rock crawler user, but one does not have to be all that serious to appreciate the fun of the Barrage.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Nov 18, 2016, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wile
Hey Hill,

I checked out the RGT thread on this forum, and it seems some things are different between the Barrage and the RGT. Please tell me if I am wrong, but all the RGT bodies I saw look a lot more finished than the Barrage. They all seem to have things like door handles, windshield wipers, and it looks like the bodies have headlights in them. Do they really have headlights in the bodies as well as the face bar?

From what was said on that thread, the RGT has a 280 motor while the Barrage has a 370 motor. Is the difference in motors a big deal? It would also appear to me the tires on the Barrage are bigger than the RGT. It seems you have noted other differences, but I do not know enough to understand them. I like the big tires and somewhat scale look of the Barrage, but the bodies I saw on the RGT really looked a lot nicer than my Barrage. I am not unhappy with the body on my Barrage, but I do appreciate the good looks of the RGT bodies I saw.

I read on the other thread what all you have done to your RGT - you call that tinkering? Get serious. You are an RC version of a motorhead. I understand some of the modifications you did, but there is a lot I do not know. EK2000 seems to have burned his motor up, and I was reading what you said about the different gear ratios contributing to the problem, but it really was over my head. If and when I toast my motor, I will have to get on the thread and ask where to go from there.

You also said about it being cheap to "tinker" with the RGT platform. Really? Reading what you have done and even the parts you bought that do not fit or work sounds very expensive to me. Perhaps that is because I am a retired old man, and I really am not interested in wading in creeks and mud or flying over whatever those things are that folks go racing over and get airborne. That has to break parts, and I would rather avoid that.

This morning I really ran my Barrage for the first time, and I will post about that experience in a separate post.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
First your right I'm a car guy at heart and can't leave things stock for long lol.

The the details are decals. At least the bronco body (which I have) there are some shapeways 3d printed parts can be found. I bought a tamiya bronco grill parts tree so I can move the leds from the bumper to headlights and same for the rear.

The motor isn't much difference at least from my knowledge which isn't much to be honest. I do alot of research.

Yeah I've but some money in to it but it's a hobby and seems like all my hobbies have some sort of cash being spent.

Quick Reply