Sep 22, 2016, 01:00 PM
Just getting into the hobby
Thread OP
Discussion

Tamiya M-06 chassis with M-05 MX-5 body

Okay so here is the story

I bought the Alfa Romeo Guilia kit, comes with ESC. I need Radio/Receiver, battery, and steering servo. Not sure which radio/receiver to get or steering servo.

I also bought the new M-05 MX-5 RTR. However, since it is front wheel drive, I am moving the MX-5 body over to the M-06 chassis since it is rear wheel drive. I was considering just removing the receiver and servo from the M-05 and installing them on the M-06 considering that was the reason I bought both in the first place but I'm wondering as far as affordability goes what I could get as far as radio, receiver, and steering servo. Could I possibly get a receiver that would allow me to share the radio from the other car? Or do I have to buy a separate system?

Vehicles I own. (just decided to sell off helicopters and start doing RC cars.)

Traxxas Slash 2WD Ford F-150 Raptor
Kyosho Fazer VE-X Subaru WRX
Tamiya XV-01 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Tamiya M-05 MX-5
Tamiya M-06 Guilia chassis (MX-5 RWD conversion project)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2016, 08:33 PM
You could get another receiver to match the one you already have, or you could get a budget radio/receiver so you can run with a friend.

Any standard size servo is sufficient for steering, I'd get a budget one from hobby king (or similar). You should be able to get a radio/receiver and servo for like $30 + shipping.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...io_System.html

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...13sec_58g.html
Sep 22, 2016, 08:54 PM
you can buy 4x MG digital servo's from bang good for 30 bucks delivered and i use them on 90% of my vehicles and not one has failed.. mind you, I've had mine for 4-5 years now... Also what transmitter are you using, If you're using spektrum get the Orange GR300 there like 15 bucks a pop. Well worth it.

Most important thing for these cars are the setup. I run both and love it. my M05 I've raced in Australia around the clubs. Try not to go lower then a 13/13.5t brushless motor This is pretty much the grip limit. Get teh TRF shocks.

On the m05 front softs and hard rears and on the m06 soft rears and medium to hard fronts with about 40v oil in the shocks.

The standard tires rubbish get some 35r and some 60D for both cars. Running the grippy ones on the rear for the m06 and fronts for the m05.

Enjoy.
Sep 23, 2016, 08:27 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJayhawk2015
I need Radio/Receiver, battery, and steering servo. Not sure which radio/receiver to get or steering servo.
I think your RTR came with the Finespec TRU-08 and I can't seem to find any Rx's sold separately.

Pretty good list of radios to consider here:
Which surface radio system is the best?

Since you're driving 2WD cars, I would encourage you to consider a radio system that includes an integrated gyro build into the Rx, this will significantly improve your driving experience to make the car more controllable... those Mini's can be a handful to drive without a gyro.

There are many gyro based systems to choose, but for the price, I am fond of the Radiolink system which is currently on sale for $40 + $10 for each additional RX... more info here:
RadioLink RC3S

Here's my current favorite budget servo for the minis:
JX Servo PDI-4409MG

Batteries selection is more a matter of preference. Do you already have a LiPo charger or are you limited to NiMh packs?

When it comes to Mini's I prefer sub shorty packs to keep weight to a minimum and ensure the best possible performance, something like this pack here:
GNB 110C-3500mAh Sub Shorty

If performance isn't important and you just want to get the cheapest thing you can find, then consider something like this pack here:
Value Hobby 25S-5000mAh

The second pack will give you a longer run time, but it won't accelerate or drive nearly as fast as the first pack I listed.

Quick Reply