Sep 12, 2004, 01:11 AM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP

HF Modellbau DG 505 3.6m

I am putting together an HF Modellbau DG505, and I don't have the instruction booklet. Does anyone on this forum know where the CG is located? I can probably guess it at about ~34%MAC for the first flights, but it would be nice to know accurately, before I commit to servo locations, etc.

Also, does anyone have this model sailplane? I'd love to hear a report on how it flies. I'm expecting it will fly a lot like my HF Modellbau 3.1m Duo Discus-- fast and slippery, yet a good climber in moderate lift.

http://www.icare-rc.com/dg505.htm

Thanks,

Don Bailey
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2004, 07:00 PM
Hi Don,

I completed my HF DG-505 (covered wing version) with a Hacker motor and folder prop for self-launch flying. Naturally it came out somewhat heavier than the typcial aerotow version.

I was very disappointed in the way it flew. To keep it on step I had to fly it unrealistically fast. A friend had the DG-1000 version of this plane (same fuse, different wing). He motorized his plane with the same setup I was using and it flew much slower and more realistically. I bite the bullet and bought the DG-1000 version and simply plugged in the 1000 wings into my original fuselage. Dramatic difference in performance, flies much slower, turns tightly in thermals, etc.

Doesn't directly answer your question but it's food for thought.

The HF 505 instructions from Icare call for the CG 65mm behind the leading edge of the wing. I vaguely remember moving mine a bit forward for the 505.

I do think you'll need pretty decent thermal conditions to enjoy this ship.

Regards,

Steve
Sep 13, 2004, 12:04 AM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
Thanks, Steve, this is just the info I was looking for. I'm doing this project for a friend, so I need to stay with the 505 wings and give it my best shot. I am planning on not doing the retract wheel to save weight (5.6oz plus servo), and leaving out the heavy seat tray/instrument binacles (almost 6 oz right there! Yeesh!).

I don't expect the DG505 to be the best thermaller, even if I can keep the weight within reason, but it will be aerotowed exclusively, so at least it will provide some nice, long flights in the glide. But then, I wasn't expecting much from my 98oz 3.1m Duo, either, and I keep getting great thermal flights with it, much to my surprise and delight. We'll see. The worst part is this will be the first high performance scale sailplane my buddy has ever flown. Gadfries! Might take a little getting used to...

65mm back from the LE looks like a good target number.

Thanks, and good lift to you, Steve.

Don Bailey
Sep 13, 2004, 03:03 AM
We come in peace.
Hey Steve,
What up with the L213A?
Ron.
Sep 13, 2004, 06:22 AM
Hi Ron, funny you ask as the L213A Blanik was flying yesterday on aero-tow. Goes up straight as an arrow and is a lot of fun to do aerobatics with. It has truly exceeded my expectations as I bought it to do a little slope soaring. Nicely molded with panel lines and rivet detail, strong, and it doesn't look like a typical glass slipper. And the unique air brakes are pretty cool. Floats nicely in ground effect on landings. Very nice.

Don, I think keeping the 505 light is the way to go. I also skipped the lead lined binacle and retracts on mine. As a first scale ship your friend sure won't be bored. Now I remember the plane tended to snap roll at the recommended CG so you might want to bring extra ballast along for the first few flights as it needs a more forward CG than recommended.

Regards,

Steve
Sep 13, 2004, 10:32 AM

HF Modellbau DG1000

Don, Steve or others....

I am considering the HF DG1000 and would appreciate your comments on general quality in addition to the flying charcteristics already mentioned. I'm in Europe and the price is pretty low....is it good value?

Dave Smith
Sep 13, 2004, 02:55 PM
Dave, I have the DG-505/1000 and the ASW-28 Molded HF models and consider them very good values. They are a fraction of the cost of the top of the line stuff yet are nicely made and fly well.

My fully molded ASW-28 had a very short life due to a bizarre accident that totalled it but it was my hands-down favorite from a looks and flying standpoint. It had split elevators that were a bit goofy (I reworked the linkage and mounted the elevator servo in the fin). I motorized mine and there's another member of our club who has the covered wing version and flies it as a traditional aero-tow model, looks great in the sky and he really enjoys his.

The covered wing models are done very nicely. The models that come with retracts have serviceable mechanisms and are great value for the money. Needless to say, the retract mechanism is not top of the line Swiss or German stuff.

Also, you don't get all the super cockpit detailing but you can always add whatever you want.

I'm been very satisfied with my DG-1000. I'd be happier if it weighed less but that's my fault as I installed motor and batteries.

I think you'd be very happy with the DG-1000.

Good luck,

Steve
Sep 27, 2004, 02:45 PM

Hf Dg505

Hi all,

I have been flying my all moulded (including retract) 505 for about six months now both on aerotow and from the slope. I have to say that the CG point shown on the plan was WAY to far forward and made it ballistic! I took out almost 100grams of lead (that after moving the elevator servo into the fin) and she now flies fine and thermals very well. It is true that you have to keep her flying but she will scratch if you are careful and don't slow the turns up too much - a bit like the real thing actually (which I have also flown).

Hope this helps
Paul

p.s. I'd like to post a photo but can't figure out how to. Help!!!
Last edited by paullittle; Sep 27, 2004 at 02:52 PM.
Oct 05, 2004, 06:39 PM

picture uploaded

Managed to work it out -hope you like it!

Cheers
Paul
Oct 08, 2004, 01:46 PM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
Paul,

Very pretty!

So, where's your CG set at now? What's your AUW?

Thanks,

Don.
Oct 08, 2004, 03:01 PM
Don,

CG on mine is at 2 3/4" behind the leading edge (at the root obviously)
AUW - I hadn't weighed it until 5 minutes ago - 9 1/4 pounds - sheesh no wonder I am panting like a dog when I get to the top of the hill I fly from! I recon I'll be having a heart attack when I carry up my 14 1/2 pound 19 1/2 foot ASW 22!!

You could save nearly a pound if you substitute the steel wing joiner for a carbon fibre one. A friend of mine has done this with his so I recon I'll do the same now, it should improve it's light air performance. I have flown mine in almost zero wind from my local slope when it was good and thermic but my heart was pounding pretty much until I had hooked a good 'un and then she went up like a rocket and was "specked out" in a couple of minutes

Let me know how you get on.

Paul

p.s. Don't ditch the cockpit insert - really 6 oz aint gonna make that much difference and you'll only have to replace it with lead anyhow! I have some instrument panel photograhs from JDN you can paste straight on to the binnacles if you want.

p.p.s. the full size JDN flies just like the model (or is it the other way around?) loops are great but rolls are a bit scary!
Last edited by paullittle; Oct 08, 2004 at 03:04 PM.
Oct 15, 2004, 08:59 AM
bie
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Hi,

flew the HF-DG505 for two seasons and was very pleased, how she was doing especially in light thermals. I had (she’s gone now) the covered version with a retractable and had her going by aerotow as well as on the slope.

Found, she’s a good Allrounder, easy to handle, with a not to high flying speed - so i think, it’s not the worst ship to be a first semi-large-scale.

Aerobatics is not the strength of the DG505, but that’s not, what she’s built for.

On the slope i had the chance to compare it directly with the DG1000 and found out, that the DG1000 can - not: must be - flown faster than the DG505, which didn’t build up speed as much from the same flight level to hotrodding the slope as the DG1000. So it seems, that the DG1000 has a broader spectrum, which doesn’t make the DG505 a bad choice.

Andy
Oct 15, 2004, 02:46 PM
Interesing, I have flown my DG 1000 for a number of years now and have experienced just the opposite. Taking a look at both planes side by side, you will be quick to notice that the Dg 505 has a tapered trailing edge and slightly tapered leading edge with quite a bit less wing area than the Dg 1000. The Dg 1000 also has a poly wing tip,adding to the stability ,explaining the tenderness I experienced with the Dg 505. The Dg 505 rolled with authority and would be a better aerobatic choice than the Dg 1000 ,which is a pussicat by comparison. If I was looking for a fun aerobatic ship I would go with the Dg 505. BWY to get the DG1000 to fly on step, (prior to electrifying) some extra weight was needed at the cg, henceforth making this model a great candidate for electric power.

I have to add that both models were electrified which added approx 6.5oz to the final weight of mine ,though my friends came to about 12oz more. Less wing area and 12oz more madethe 505 a quick machine, also bought the balance point forward of where it called for. Not having brought the cg forward at first, made for some very challenging( with a snap in every attempted turn,) and interesting first flights.

My two cents,
Richard B
Mar 21, 2005, 09:53 AM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP

DG505 ready for paint and trim

Well, I resumed work on this project a couple of weeks ago, and she's almost done. Pretty painless work, really. I used a full fin-height bellcrank with center pivot inside the fin, braided cable pushrod from the elevator servo down the boom to the bottom of the bellcrank, and a short pushrod on the top of the bellcrank out to the elevator. The rudder servo is up front, too, and I placed everything else as far forward as it would go for better CG. As a result, I needed only 9 oz. of lead in the nose to CG the thing. I'm at 65mm back from the leading edge for starters.

I left out the retract wheel (belly landings for now, may install retract later), and the heavy instrument/seat tray, but I'm going to go ahead and use the kit-supplied 11oz steel joiner rod. HS81s in the wings, standard JR servos for R/E, 100oz-in GWS servo for release, 1200mah NimH pack for juice.

Here's the pleasant surprise. With everything pushed forward, and leaving out the heavy bits, my AUW is... 7 lbs on the dot!! NOT BAD!! She's all ready for paint and decals now.

I'm fully expecting this bird to thermal like a TD contest ship. Any doubters? Let's roll!

Don.
Mar 21, 2005, 10:25 AM

DG-1000 by Comparison

Don,

I am just slightly behind your progress with my DG-1000. As noted elsewhere in the thread, it has the same fuse, but I will be heavier than you because I have decided to at least leave in the cockpit tray. I'll probably replace the binnacles with balsa ones, but the inclusion of the tray means that my rudder servo (pull-pull) sits just behind the cockpit and not up front as yours does. Also, I used an HS-125 in the fin to drive the elevator. Leaving the cockpit in place also means that I may have some interesting geometry for the aerotow release, which I haven't sorted out yet. I was hoping to use one of the Multiplex releases, but the lack of space between it and the cockpit might mean that I end up with a hole in the fuse bottom for the release.

Did you use the supplied pushrods for the ailerons? They seem a little flimsy to me, but the length is so short that perhaps that isn't an issue.

I will be at Mission with mine so we can compare notes. The Cherokee is a little big to box up and fly with, so the DG wins this time, plus my Grunau Baby that was left behind on the west coast.

Dave Smith

Quick Reply