Sep 21, 2016, 03:31 PM
Build Log

Another Ivan Pettigrew plane - Beaufighter

Hi guys.

Thought I had better start the build thread of my new IP machine.

So far I have built his Chipmunk, Mosquito and MiniCat, as well as my own "spirit of Ivan" Fairey Gordon.

This is obviously my 4th IP plane, one of his older machines which I can't find any build threads of.

I am modifying it a little, so it will have a 2 piece wing the same as my Mosquito has which will allow it to be transported easier. The plan shows flaps which I may or may not fit - to be decided. I am also not going to do the NACA droop on the outer panels, I did the same with the Mosquito and that has no nasty habits even when slowed right down.

So I better get cracking......
Last edited by pentaxman; Sep 25, 2016 at 04:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2016, 03:42 PM
So far this is as far as I have got.

Sorry for the poor photography but it was taken in the dark on my mobile, hopefully the rest of the pictures will be better.

I have put the whole wing spar together as it builds in 3 pieces which I will split in the middle once I get the centre section semi constructed.

The other section in the picture is the centre section lower trailing edge and lower centre section, still a small piece to add to the centre section to make it the correct length.
The 2 pieces will then be joined and ribs fitted.

After the front ribs are fitted I will be adding some webs at the front of the spar between the ribs to provide a pocket for the 1/8" ply wing joiner to slide into, the same as I did with my Mosquito.
Sep 21, 2016, 09:01 PM
Arrowhead
I'll take a wild guess: Lancaster?
Sep 22, 2016, 01:45 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
This is going to the Beaufighter, isn't it? I think you will be the third builder after Ivan and another in Canada (which didn't fly well because it was far too heavy).

Have fun Andy.
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Sep 22, 2016 at 02:21 PM.
Sep 22, 2016, 02:03 PM
Mike is right, it is the start of the Beaufighter.
I do have the Lancaster plan which I am hoping to build after this.

Got the 2 parts in the picture glued together last night and 2 of the rear ribs fitted to give the sheeting some support.
Sep 23, 2016, 11:39 AM
More pictures....

now with a few more ribs added.

My Optic Tx is there for scale
Sep 24, 2016, 11:28 AM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxman
Mike is right, it is the start of the Beaufighter.
I do have the Lancaster plan which I am hoping to build after this.

Got the 2 parts in the picture glued together last night and 2 of the rear ribs fitted to give the sheeting some support.
You might want to modify your first post to include "Beaufighter" in the title. Might get more hits and interest.

Tom
Sep 25, 2016, 10:10 AM
Did a bit more over the weekend.

The last of the rear ribs for the centre section fitted (after fitting the rear alignment pin in the middle ribs) and upper TE sheet added.
All the front ribs for the centre section added together with the false LE - it still needs the top edge sanding to size and shape.

Webs for the ply brace in the spar all fitted and sanded down.
Sep 25, 2016, 10:15 AM
Oh no, not again!
Watching with interest. Love the old Beau.

Regards,
Jeff
Sep 25, 2016, 10:33 AM
If this flies anywhere close to how well the IP Mosquito flies then I shall be a very happy person.
Oct 01, 2016, 09:40 AM
Moved on a little more with this machine.

It now has the lower trailing edge on the outboard panels, a false leading edge and the tips added - all in rough mind.

A few ribs are also fitted for positioning of leading and trailing edges.

I have decided not to fit flaps but I am going to try to make fully sheeted frise alierons for it, which is what the sheeting is that can be seen attached to the outboard trailing edges.
I have added the outer ribs to the ailerons, the pegs are to hold the sheeting to the ribs while the glue sets.

I have tried to capture a picture of the dihedral and sweepback too.

Lots of sanding and tidying up to do but not until more building has been done.

Current weight is 229g or 8oz including the pins but not the pegs.
Last edited by pentaxman; Oct 01, 2016 at 09:47 AM.
Oct 01, 2016, 09:55 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Lovely job!

Oct 02, 2016, 02:31 AM
build like there is no 2moz
Looking good Andy
Oct 06, 2016, 05:04 PM
Moved on a little more.

The wing now has its full compliment of ribs, and I have added the upper leading edge sheeting to one of the outer panels.
Oct 09, 2016, 10:37 AM
Bought some motor wire today so I can skin the inner panel leading edges to stiffen up the wing.

Added the positive (green) and the negative (black) wires.
Also added the control wire for the speed control, all of which can be seen in the picture without the sheeting added.

Also sorted the start of the motor mounts and the undercarriage mount as can be seen.