Sep 21, 2016, 01:34 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Micro Sagitta XC

Well i decided to do another micro after i built reds micro wanderer and settled on doing a micro Sagitta XC. i scaled it down to 26% it gives me a 17" long fuse and a 47" wing span with a 3 1/2" root. With the ribs being so small i opted for the cracked-rib method of building this should also help reduce some weight. here is a pic of the wing model hopefully i will have my plans by the weekend so i can actually start building it.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2016, 01:01 PM
Flying High
Looks interesting!

Dave
Sep 22, 2016, 03:24 PM
SagittaXC

Sagitta XC

Really looking forward to this.....Jack T.
Sep 22, 2016, 05:06 PM
Love this! But what's the cracked rib method?
Sep 22, 2016, 05:14 PM
Thread OP
the cracked rib wing building method in which a balsa stick is cracked at the spar and the ends glued to the leading and trailing edges to form the upper surface of a rib. A turbulator spar is then glued about half way between the leading edge and the spar. The three straight lines approximate a curve. There was a p-30 free flight rubber design called the Hot Box that was built this way. it gets used a lot in rubber free flight and it will save a ton of time and weight over cutting out individual ribs if my solid-works model is correct it should weight about 8 grams less than a full rib build. i will photo it and share this building technique for micro light builds.
Sep 22, 2016, 11:01 PM
Sorry, wrong thread!
Sep 23, 2016, 03:39 PM
Thread OP
here is a couple of shots of the fuse and wing together should be starting on the wing this weekend and finishing up the fuse model next week.
Sep 23, 2016, 07:49 PM
Would a micro Sagitta xc just be a Sagitta 600?
Sep 23, 2016, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltcitytattoo
the cracked rib wing building method in which a balsa stick is cracked at the spar and the ends glued to the leading and trailing edges to form the upper surface of a rib. A turbulator spar is then glued about half way between the leading edge and the spar. The three straight lines approximate a curve. There was a p-30 free flight rubber design called the Hot Box that was built this way. it gets used a lot in rubber free flight and it will save a ton of time and weight over cutting out individual ribs if my solid-works model is correct it should weight about 8 grams less than a full rib build. i will photo it and share this building technique for micro light builds.

Thanks! Will be watching the build with interest.
Sep 23, 2016, 09:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratter
Would a micro Sagitta xc just be a Sagitta 600?
Well if a 40 oz sagitta 600 is your idea of micro then ok this would be a sub micro my goal is to be in the 2 to 2.5 oz range
Sep 23, 2016, 09:29 PM
Thread OP
Well my new to me set of wil-kro razor planer showed up today made very quick work of the trailing edge.
Last edited by saltcitytattoo; Sep 23, 2016 at 11:44 PM.
Sep 24, 2016, 12:34 AM
Thread OP
Spar glued and base of wing glued now wait for glue to dry
Sep 24, 2016, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltcitytattoo
Well if a 40 oz sagitta 600 is your idea of micro then ok this would be a sub micro my goal is to be in the 2 to 2.5 oz range
Ah got you now. I saw the "XC" and being old school that means Cross Country to me thus 16 plus feet of wing and to big to fit in my truck.
Sep 24, 2016, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratter
Ah got you now. I saw the "XC" and being old school that means Cross Country to me thus 16 plus feet of wing and to big to fit in my truck.
Ya true maybe I should call it sagitta XF ( cross field ) instead
Sep 24, 2016, 09:17 PM
XS: extra small

Quick Reply