Horus Config - Range Gathering Information - RC Groups
Sep 21, 2016, 12:58 PM
Discussion

Horus Config - Range Gathering Information

Hi All,

From many discussions, it seems like there are many that are experiencing great range and performance out of their Horus and some are not.

This thread is to collect data from both camps so we can come up to a determination of what the potential issues maybe.

Here is the information that we need, please:

1) Firmware on your Horus, Please go to your info screen to determine which OS Version that you're using. If you are on OPenTX then please list the last FRTX flash you have on the unit prior to changing to Open TX.

2) What receiver are you using?

3) Please provide a photo of the Antenna Setup in your plane and attach it to this thread.

4) Is your Radio, Production or Beta 1( First Release) or Beta 2 (Released in March ish)

Description of where you're experiencing the range issue:
Orientation of the Horus TX
The position of the Model in relation to the TX
Altitude of the model
Did you get an RSSI Critical or did you just lose control?

Let's nip this in the bud, please, no rants, just data.

Thank You
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2016, 01:27 PM

Horus Config - Range Gathering Information

What rssi warning levels are to be used? I'm at 45 and 42
No warnings as of yet, gasser plane=whisker antenna
Electric fpv plane= whisker antenna
Nitro plane= paddle antennas

All running the x8r rx.

Production Horus flashed to open tx immediately so it has the original tx module firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sep 21, 2016, 01:30 PM
No Range Problems, very good range, little directional issue

Originally posted on "New beginnings, asked to post here instead.

First batch of production Horus, 1st nightly build I think 9/4 if that makes sense(can't find version), internal antenna, Immersion Mini Quad with VTX, D4R-II RX

I did a STATIC full range check wherein I placed my armed mini quad with 350mW VTR active on my 2nd story wood deck on some plastic hot tub stairs, and walked down to the END of my narrow field, still in LOS (field is sloped so I was a total of 70' below the quad.) The total distance on the ground was a 1050 feet according to Goggle Earth. The field is narrow, about 100 feet wide and tree lined.

RSSI with TX level facing aircraft was 67 -70
RSSI with TX level and facing 90 degrees to either side was 59 to 62
RSSI with TX level and facing 180 degrees was around 52 to 56

At least in a static test the internal antenna was not all that directional. BTW it did not seem all that directional in my range test either. Clearly I could have walked a lot further and still have had good RF had my field been longer.

Tilting the TX so the screen was perpendicular to my face typically increased RSSI by 2 dB
Tilting it down decreased it by a little.

Even with aircraft stationary RSSI bounced around by 3 or 4 or more dB. Numbers shown represent typical range. I repeated the orientations several times. This is a very rural area but there is a rural road parallel to my field and car traffic could account for RSSI bouncing. I know with FPV it does sometimes make a little interference.

Obviously there were no motors on the the quad was stationary. Just reporting my observations.

BTW this is the exact same distance and altitude that my buddy with his top end JR and the exact same quad with Jr satellite totally lost RF a couple days ago and went in. Go figure.

BTW, by locating antennas to 90 degree horizontal as shown from an initial twin vertical slight "V" I increased the range check distance from 75' to about 130'.
Last edited by u2builder; Sep 21, 2016 at 03:51 PM.
Sep 21, 2016, 02:29 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
No range problems, very good range and very little antenna directional issue

1. Pre-beta March, production August.

2. FrTX 1.2.14 and OpenTX v356 (have tested most releases from the first available in April). Have never had range problems with any of the FrTX or OpenTX builds.

3. Flying with internal X12S antenna.

4. Whisker antennas X4R, X6R, X8R and S6R receivers.

5. Balsa built airframes with glow engines.

6. 300' of range in low power range check mode with free standing receiver (same as my Taranis).

7. Fly LOS within 1000' radius of TX. Don't fly out to 1000' very often, mostly end of flight setup for landing approach and turn to final.

8. X12S RSSI logs in general do not have the high and low extreme spikes seen in my Taranis logs with the same aircraft/receiver.

9. Fly at a club field where Spektrum users have problems with lost RF links in certain areas of our field at certain times of the day. Might be related to some nearby microwave activity.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Sep 24, 2016 at 09:02 AM.
Sep 21, 2016, 02:46 PM
Aalesund, Norway
Firmware: OTX 2.2 Rc358
Receiver: X4R
Standard Alien antenna setup:

Production radio

I tested just now static:
Set the quad up about a meter above the ground. Antennas on the quad against me for best reception.
The internal antenna is horrible. Got RSSI warning after less than 10m. Lost contact after approx 15m. A little better if the radio is held up in the air with the sticks facing me.
Tried a 2.4ghz antenna RP-SMA rubber duck type as well. No idea where it came from.
A little better than the internal. About 25m before failsafe.
Then very interesting: Tried the external antenna on full power. Failsafe/very low RSSI after 237meters (but in a area with many houses and slightly downhill).
I then used the internal antenna and had to walk 130m before getting contact..

My findings: The internal antenna is very very bad ! Highly directional, and I do not belive FrSky's claim that it has 80-90% of a normal full range antenna (like Taranis).
The external is better. Mine was a no brand type I think from a router. Will have to check again when I get the FrSky one.
I do not think the position on the external antenna is any good either. I will probably use an RP-SMA pigtail/extention and a bracket on the edge of the radio just above the screen.
Sep 21, 2016, 03:05 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggad
I tested just now static:
Set the quad up about a meter above the ground. Antennas on the quad against me for best reception.
The internal antenna is horrible. Got RSSI warning after less than 10m. Lost contact after approx 15m.
It would be highly recommended to check to your system with a free stranding known good receiver and dedicated battery. You have something very wrong with the receiver, receiver installation or X12S. If you continue to have range problems with a known good free standing receiver contact your FrSky dealer where you purchased the X12S for warranty repair.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Sep 21, 2016 at 03:14 PM.
Sep 21, 2016, 03:13 PM
Adam
daggad, Are your antennas taped to plastic rods/tubes? It is not obvious what material they are made out of.
Sep 21, 2016, 04:55 PM
Aalesund, Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa
daggad, Are your antennas taped to plastic rods/tubes? It is not obvious what material they are made out of.
Yes they are taped to strips. But the picture is just to show how I have it. This is not my quad.
Sep 21, 2016, 04:57 PM
Aalesund, Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
It would be highly recommended to check to your system with a free stranding known good receiver and dedicated battery. You have something very wrong with the receiver, receiver installation or X12S. If you continue to have range problems with a known good free standing receiver contact your FrSky dealer where you purchased the X12S for warranty repair.

Mike
Thanks Mike will check with more receivers.
U2builder: How to avoid your antennas being eaten by the propellers when you have it like that ?
Sep 21, 2016, 06:01 PM
I changed them from a vertical V to horizontal because my initial range test was a bit low. The change was to get them out of the plane of and below the VTX because I have read the VTX can cause interference and to keep the antenna as far away as possible, I put them at 90 degrees apart and as straight as possible because I saw something saying to do that on Frsky website.

On my quad the frame is about 3/4 inch below the props and the polyethylene throttle tubes are stiff enough that the don't seem to deflect much. I have a piece of nylon thread at the end of the V to kind of keep them between rather than under the props, Maybe the 90 degree is just a tad less than 90. I bent one tube into a "V", tie wrapped it on, and made little holes in the sides for the antennas to enter.

I was really surprise when I did the range test and increased my distance by a factor of 1.75. This was with a 350mW VTX operating in low power idle mode.
Sep 21, 2016, 07:04 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
It's been mentioned in other threads, but some plastic tubes attenuate 2.4ghz. The easy way to tell is to put a piece of the tubing in a micro wave and turn it on for a few seconds. If it gets hot, don't use it.
Sep 21, 2016, 09:18 PM
Really? range problems? That is the last thing I want to hear. I was going to fly my IMAC plane with the Horus.
Last edited by tele1974; Sep 21, 2016 at 09:29 PM.
Sep 21, 2016, 09:24 PM
Tele1974,

Not all Horuses are getting range problems. We want to identify a common denominator. In order to narrow it down, we need the information that's posted above in my original post.

Some are getting fantastic range, greater than 1.5 Miles, while others have issues. So now it's time to put things to bed and identify what firmware versions are out there.

You will not have an issue flying IMAC with the horus. Most of the issues so far are at a low altitude and bhind trees, etc.
Sep 21, 2016, 09:45 PM
FrSky announced that they're going to send everyone 2DB dipole antennas and include them with new horuses. This doesn't figure to be a firmware problem.
Sep 21, 2016, 11:40 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck

Initial Range concerns (no lockouts ) Then blissful range

I have been testing both Beta and production for weeks.

I am flying OTX from nightly 353 onward -

I have flown X6/8R and D6Fr/D8R XP's and ended up with the best configs on a D8R XP and replacement RX antenna's (600 mm dipole) I flew this to 1.5 KM last weekend (likely more) and 400 meters altitude. Link was flawless and my RSSI checks at distance were still in the mid to high 50's.

My alarms are 38/35 RSSI - I find that in low power range checks I am getting 130+ meters before I hit 27 DB and the link starts to drop.

I did initially run into some rang eissues but I fully beleive this was a bad RX as I was getting Telemetry lost/Regained during certain aircraft positions. When I changed RX's I could no longer replicate the issue -

Also - be advised that Frsky RX antennae will transmit on ONE antennae (the strongest RSSIon boot up) so if you have one of your antennae compromised and it happens to get a lucky shot on boot up - you are asking for issues. Make sure your antennae are 90 degrees and away from RF absorbing or reflecting materials like batteries - Carbon fiber and reflective metals (servos). I have mine oriented with one straight out of the canopy or fuse and one tot he left because of how I launch the glider - When I boot the model up I actually obscure the antennae tot he side with some hollow core lead fishing weight to force the coms on the best orientation antennae.

Quick Reply