Sep 11, 2004, 09:11 PM
in pursuit of low wing loading
Thread OP

NEAT Indoor Night & Micro Seminars: Details

I probably should have created this thread before. But, anyway, here it is. As many will already know, NEAT is the largest all-electric RC meet in the US. It's held at a campground in the Catskill mountains of upstate New York and is a very nice location. It takes place over three days, Friday through Sunday (this year September 17 to 19). More information and directions can be found at the NEAT web site.

Sergio Zigras (of Z-Tron infared fame) is the president of the Bergen County Silent Flyers club in New Jersy. This year for the fourth time at NEAT the BCSF is hosting the Micro-Technology Seminar in their tent at NEAT. The previous link gives this year's program and speaker bios.

For the second year at NEAT the Boston Micronauts, a club I belong to, is hosting an invitational Indoor Night at the nearby Walton high school gym. The primary purpose of the Indoor is to allow speakers at the Micro-Technology Seminar to showcase their planes. A limited number of flyers who are not presenting can be accomidated. But, the number of hours we rent the gym for does not allow a great number of flyers. At this time, the Indoor Night is closed and completely full up with flyers.

This year we have a number of international micro luminaries traveling to NEAT (some for the second time) for the Micro Seminar and the Indoor night: Mark Denham (Aeronutz), Jean-Daniel Nicoud (Didel), Jean-Marie Piednoir (JMP receivers), Rick Ruijsink (MicroMag), and Petter Murren (Proxflyer). Within the US luminaries from as far away as the West Coast (Matt Keennon and Dave Burley) will be coming, and too many others to list from less far away.

Directions and details for the Indoor Night in MS Word form can be obtained here and in less well formatted html form here. At the indoor night we have a "half-time show" beginning at 7:30pm. This year we have a half-time program so spectators can follow along with the planes that are flying (printed copies thanks to Allan Wright). You can download the program in MS Word form here. It's large, about 1.7megs. It has thumbnail pictures of almost all the 25 or so planes in the half-time show, and details of the planes. Some planes have already been seen here on RCGroups, others are new.

We also have a raffle at the Indoor Night, with prizes donated by many of the micro vendors. The proceeds benefit the Walton high school aeronautics class. Last year we raised over $800 for them. The micro prizes are terrific. The drawing takes place at the end of the Half-Time show.

SKS Videocomes out with a DVD of the NEAT Fair each year. Last year they didn't find out about the Indoor Night till it was underway. But, my clubmate Chris Murphy gave them a bunch of video he shot. So, the indoor night was on the DVD. Matt Keennon's micro P38 flying outdoors is also on the video, and a Punkin Bipe made from Dave Robelen RCMF plans was also on it. This year we are trying to coordinate with SKS to get even better coverage. So, sometime in the couple of months after NEAT a lot of it will be able to be purchased on DVD. If we get the time, we will try and post some videos on our Boston Micronauts site.

Like last year I will start a thread with pictures from the Indoor Night sometime in the week or two following NEAT.

If you live in the Northeast and can make it, admission to the Indoor Night is free. Come on out and have a good time watching some of the best micro RC flying and planes around.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Sep 13, 2004 at 07:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2004, 02:41 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
That is quite a lineup. I hope the P-38 does get kitted. There are a few others in the lineup that I remember were supposed to be kitted "soon", but have yet to appear.
Sep 12, 2004, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
It would seem kitting takes time, unfortunately. BTW, QJ kits will be for sale at NEAT.

Gordon
Sep 12, 2004, 07:47 PM
Fanfold abuser

Thanks for all the work

Gordon,

Thanks for all the work you have put into this both years. You and the fellow micronauts deserve a round of applause.

John
Sep 13, 2004, 08:11 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Even if the weather is marginal at NEAT, it will be perfect for indoor flying, so come on down to Walton Saturday night and watch the festivities. There's so much to see it's a great night's entertainment. I was too busy last year to fly, but never even noticed there was so much going on.
The venue is a larger multi-court gymnasium with PLENTY of room for spectators, plane display and still leaves a very generous space for flying.

There are so many great people there, it's like a who's who of indor and micro RC. Everyone there is really great too, so you can ask questions and see their planes 'up close and personal'.

The raffle has great prizes, and goes to a fantastic cause.

Stop by and meet a ton of the people you've been chatting with here on the E-zone!
Sep 15, 2004, 09:49 AM
Thread OP
Just bumping this thread to the first page to be near the thread of which people are coming to NEAT, since the details are here.

Gordon
Sep 19, 2004, 01:02 PM
Fly, Crash, Build, Fly!!!
Gordan, we didnt see you at the school. Besides the flooding the indoor event was fun. I got my first indoor plane and I am now looking for a used rffs100 board.

Quick Reply