Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 21, 2016, 05:19 AM

Flying Wings on Saturday

There were a couple of different flying wings on Saturday. I wish I took a picture to show what I am talking about. I am not talking about the wings Tower Hobbies were showing designed by Gary Wright; even though they are awesome flyers. Nice job Gary!

The ones I am talking about are the ones that looked very similar to the Zagi and the MS Composite Swift/Swift II. They looked like a flat wing with no winglets but they actually had very small winglets. I did not get a chance to ask the flyers what kit or even what plane it was. Does anyone have a name of these wings? No they were not the Outlaw Deltas. They looked like Swift II on steroids.

The F-27Q, Haydon, and Carbon Z Scimitar are all out of production and when I saw these fly I got excited about a new wing that is possibly out there besides Tower Hobbies new one, which I also want.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2016, 06:36 AM

Wings at NEAT

Hey Zagi, My group had 4 different wings from "Crash Test Hobbies" painted orange and green , pretty fast - ??? We were down at the south end at the beginning of the week tearing it up. Anyway, they are tough when built according to instructions,, Great Flyers , Fun Stuff !
Sep 21, 2016, 07:05 AM
215.0 MPH
We were flying Tuffwings. 100mph foam wings. 2X-3X the performance of most any EPP wings currently available. Very tough, good for combat, pylon, soaring, whatever you want. Bummer is he stopped making them a few months back.

http://www.tuffwing.com/products/tuffwing_32.html
Last edited by markusvt; Sep 21, 2016 at 02:18 PM.
Sep 21, 2016, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvt
We were flying Tuffwings. 100mph foam wings. 2X-3X the performance of most any EPP wings currently available. Very tough, good for combat, pylon, soaring, whatever you want. Bummer is he stopped making them a few months back.

http://www.tuffwing.com/products/tuffwing_32.html
I think these were the wings I saw. Wouldn't you know when I find a replacement to my F-27 they stop making them. You cannot even get the Swift II in the US any more.

I will have to check out Crash Test Hobbies and see what they look like. I saw a couple of wings including Outlaw. The CrazE Wing by Gary Wright is cool also.
Sep 21, 2016, 06:43 PM
215.0 MPH
We have plenty of the Crash Test Hobbies wings in the club also, no comparison.
Sep 21, 2016, 07:55 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...&cPath=112_675

Swift 2
Sep 21, 2016, 08:38 PM
Now that's a low pass !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoderf
Hey Zagi, My group had 4 different wings from "Crash Test Hobbies" painted orange and green , pretty fast - ??? We were down at the south end at the beginning of the week tearing it up. Anyway, they are tough when built according to instructions,, Great Flyers , Fun Stuff !
Freddy,

What are the names of the wings you and Kevin were night flying? I see a bunch of different wings on Crash Test Hobbies web site.

Bill.
Sep 23, 2016, 09:03 AM
Probably Assasins.... Those are the most popular. Peety (Meanbaby) and Jason (BEF) both have a couple of these. The are well recommended by the AOA guys as well. I did see a Titan as well.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhillag1
Freddy,

What are the names of the wings you and Kevin were night flying? I see a bunch of different wings on Crash Test Hobbies web site.

Bill.
Last edited by sawatt; Sep 23, 2016 at 09:18 AM.
Apr 05, 2017, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvt
We have plenty of the Crash Test Hobbies wings in the club also, no comparison.
I went to Crash Test Hobbies the other and purchased an Assassin. I may actually go back and buy another. The first, I want it to be a Plain Jane with some Graphics. I am curious about how to add graphics. Do you use an Airbrush then use the supplied laminate over the EPP? When I did my Zagi 400 I used the Poly Tape for the covering. It did not look very good. If you use an airbrush, what type and what brand?

The second Assassin will be a Night Flying Wing as soon as I figure out how connect the lights to my battery. All the videos I have seen show soldering wire to the LED strip but they never show what connector they use for the battery or if they use a different battery than the battery for the motors. I do not want to use a separate battery because of weight concerns so how does one connect to the existing battery? If you splice into the main battery, how is it done? I have connected wire to my LEDs but I have no idea how it gets power from the battery.

I watched YouTube videos but so far nothing shows it being connected to power in the plane.

-Scott
Apr 05, 2017, 12:49 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
I'm one of the guys sawatt was referring to.

I have 3 assassins, 2 of them night flyers. And roughly 12-15 night flyers total, roughly half of them wings.

My daytime assassin uses the vanilla stock powertrain and flies on 3s1300.

Pics of it here. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=12472

We did the paint with rattle can and then we laminated it over the paint. If I had to do it again I might use 3m77 or 3m90 before or after paint, but it's been bulletproof. You can do similar. You can put colored packing tape on top of the laminate. You can do all kinds of things, give it a shot. Buy a 3 pack with your buddy and get crazy.

Also have two assassins set up for night flight, rattle can paint on the foam then laminated. 3s2200, power up zoom 400, apc 6x4 and a plush 40.

There's lots of ways to power or control lights. The simplest is through the balance tap of your flight pack.

Get a 3s JST-XH extension, you'll use the female end of it, cut the wire wherever you need. Here is one example. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/jst-xh-3...10pcs-bag.html here's another that's faster but higher cost and usually out of stock. I buy the HK ones by the bag.

Use the outside two connectors to your positive and negative pads on your LEDs. Cut off the two internal leads and insulate them, I use liquid electrical tape usually. When you fly plug the balance tap of your battery into the extension and your lights should come on. Pay attention to polarity.

Oh and Tuffwings I've never flown one, heard good things. But the undisputed performance king for EPP wings is, was and remains Ritewing. Their current primary is the Hardcore 44 racing wing, a refresh of their classic IYF. I'm building one now and have fears it may relegate at least 6 night wings to the duty corner.
Apr 05, 2017, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool

I have 3 assassins, 2 of them night flyers. And roughly 12-15 night flyers total, roughly half of them wings.

We did the paint with rattle can and then we laminated it over the paint. If I had to do it again I might use 3m77 or 3m90 before or after paint, but it's been bulletproof. You can do similar. You can put colored packing tape on top of the laminate. You can do all kinds of things, give it a shot. Buy a 3 pack with your buddy and get crazy.

Also have two assassins set up for night flight, rattle can paint on the foam then laminated. 3s2200, power up zoom 400, apc 6x4 and a plush 40.

There's lots of ways to power or control lights. The simplest is through the balance tap of your flight pack.

Get a 3s JST-XH extension, you'll use the female end of it, cut the wire wherever you need. Here is one example. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/jst-xh-3...10pcs-bag.html here's another that's faster but higher cost and usually out of stock. I buy the HK ones by the bag.

Use the outside two connectors to your positive and negative pads on your LEDs. Cut off the two internal leads and insulate them, I use liquid electrical tape usually. When you fly plug the balance tap of your battery into the extension and your lights should come on. Pay attention to polarity.

Oh and Tuffwings I've never flown one, heard good things. But the undisputed performance king for EPP wings is, was and remains Ritewing. Their current primary is the Hardcore 44 racing wing, a refresh of their classic IYF. I'm building one now and have fears it may relegate at least 6 night wings to the duty corner.
Thanks for the info and suggestions. Let's see how things come out using rattle can. Now to think of a design.
Apr 05, 2017, 06:09 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
My top was painters tape the bottom post it notes
Apr 07, 2017, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool

When putting the wing together, did you stick to using the hot glue gun (low temp glue) method? When I built my Zagi, many years ago, I used the 3M Super 77 spray adhesive for the EPP foam and never had a problem with the glue joint. A YouTube video showed using hot glue melt for joining the wing halves.

I talked to Krylon about their rattle can of Fusion Paint for Plastics. It is enamel based meaning oil paint. Oil usually does not mix very well. I might stop at a hardware store and pick some up. I will probably use my airbrush to actually spray it on. I can control the amount better.

Did you mean that after painting your pattern you would have given it a coat of 3M 77? I am assuming that would help adhere the laminate. I am wondering if the 3M 77 would help the laminate stick better, may be instead of using Krylon Fusion for Plastic that you could use a n acrylic water based hobby paint. Lee from Crash Test Hobbies said if you use acrylic paint that the laminate would not stick.

Well, let's get a little crazy and see what happens.

-Scott
Apr 07, 2017, 05:42 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
I used either testors small rattle cans or krylon short cuts, from hobby lobby or michaels . Adding a light spray coat of 3m77 or similar will promote greater adhesion when you use an iron to activate and shrink the lam onto the plane. I didn't use it on mine.

Krylon I would only use the short cuts cans the other types are a risk to eat the foam.

For assembly I use foam tac. You're not going to beat it. Hot glue can soften in hot climates and its heavy. Foam tac off gasses more than 50% of its weight as it dries.