FrSky S6R 6CH Receiver With 3-Axis Stabilization With Smart Port Telemetry - Page 315 - RC Groups
Nov 10, 2017, 12:52 AM
this gives me hope as i had it up to full throttle in both stab and slm modes. with S1 gain gradually increased to 100% while i switched back and forth between modes, the ailerons tilted about 15 degrees when i switched to slm at 100%. this was the only movement
i guess all i can do now is to wait for spring as we got about 8" of snow in the last few days and -15C
i will keep watching this thread to see if any pertinent info comes along.
Thanks guys, you've been a great help
Ken
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 01:26 AM
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
I've found with no correction (default) in the Gains Tab in the Config App that Zero% to 30% Gain on S1 works well for SLM.
For Stab it is around 40% to 70% seems to work best.
Nov 10, 2017, 12:11 PM
after working with it i have found that the default config for the stab does indeed work well at 50% S1, but the SLM config had to be lowered to 35% for both aileron and elevator, and i can leave S1 at 50%. this is because of the control surfaces having max deflection like a 3d plane. i don't plan to use that much deflection right away, and i will have dual rates of 50% for normal sport flight. so as it works now, if i tilt the fuse 45deg tail up and activate SLM, i get about 15 degrees (1") up ele. which should be plenty
Nov 10, 2017, 12:40 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Question: Do flaperons and spoilerons work with SLM mode? I know there is provision for dual ailerons, what I'm wanted to know is if these modes will work with self-level being active?

Does anybody have video where they're using either of these modes in flight?
Nov 10, 2017, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom
Question: Do flaperons and spoilerons work with SLM mode?
What do you mean by "work". Not trying to be a smart arse, just looking for some clarification. I do have dual aileron setups, with differential, and it seems to work fine. As far as I can tell, the self level and the stability get mixed into whatever commands are going to the plane. So if you kick in flaperons, and the stability kicks in, it should just give you flaperons with different positions, which seems like it should work. You should be able to tell with a bench test if it's going to work. But I think it would.
Nov 10, 2017, 05:55 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl360
What do you mean by "work". Not trying to be a smart arse, just looking for some clarification. I do have dual aileron setups, with differential, and it seems to work fine. As far as I can tell, the self level and the stability get mixed into whatever commands are going to the plane. So if you kick in flaperons, and the stability kicks in, it should just give you flaperons with different positions, which seems like it should work. You should be able to tell with a bench test if it's going to work. But I think it would.
That helps, thanks. Last time I tried on another brand I found they were not supported to work in SLM. I'd use them in stability/rate mode, but would like no ill affects if left on in SLM. Ideally, I'd like to have them add some lift as flaperons at low speed and scrub some speed as spoilerons without causing the plane to continually dive or climb.
Nov 11, 2017, 01:27 AM
I can't give you a video. I have used one of Mike Shellim's F5J setups modified to work with the S8R. This has many mixes and compensating functions and all of these work fine in both stabilise and SLM. The setup instructions and downloads are here if you are interested. The template does not contain the mixes for channels 9-10-11.

http://www.rc-soar.com/opentx/setups/variants/index.htm

I have used the template from these, after making my own modifications to add Ch 9-10-11, successfully, many flights over 4 flying days now, and see no issues with it.
Nov 11, 2017, 09:49 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01

I have used the template from these, after making my own modifications to add Ch 9-10-11, successfully, many flights over 4 flying days now, and see no issues with it.
Thanks. Guess I'll order an S6R, or maybe two under the TMT theory of 1 should work and if 2 don't it's not the RX.

Is there a version for S6R that you can point me to? Or might it be better if I started with your mods?
Nov 11, 2017, 06:28 PM
The version mentioned is designed to be used with a model that has a motor and two aileron and two flap channels as well as elevator and rudder, so 7 channels. This would need a S8R.

If you let me know what type of model you are planning to use it with I might be able to advise where to get a template or help you to make one.

The big advantage when using Mike's templates is the calibration flight mode - which makes the often complex process of setting up a model with 6 control surfaces a whole lot easier.
Nov 11, 2017, 08:37 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Been thinking of getting an Acrocub. No separate flap channels, just 2 servo ailerons.

Could install on my 3D profile plane with 2 ailerons and 1 elevator.

May try on a Delta with 2 servo elevons, too.
Nov 11, 2017, 09:16 PM
Buy a couple of each, they never go to waste
Nov 11, 2017, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
Buy a couple of each, they never go to waste
Yes, always purchase one more than you need so you can say,,,,,,
"But Honey I had this one extra part and needed to just get the other parts to use it so it would not go to waste".

Mark
Latest blog entry: INAV Bixler build
Nov 12, 2017, 11:22 AM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
Self Level re-branded, Urgent Mode or Panic Mode (Fluffy Slippers Mode).
Take your pick, next month it may be something different again
Same as the Mode "Name" Convenient, Simple or Quick Mode.
"Safe Space" mode.
"Hillary was elected" mode
"I am the only person in the world who is right" mode

Or for the rest of us:
"I screwed, rescue me!" mode.
Nov 12, 2017, 02:59 PM
:"Fake Level Mode"

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just annoying to the original users and experienced users
as it just adds another way of doing the same Function but using completely different switch ordering.
The competition has a "Panic Button" so from a marketing point of view to the newbies it has some appeal.
And another parameter for us in here to try to explain how to use correctly.
Last edited by Too Many Toys; Nov 12, 2017 at 03:21 PM.
Nov 12, 2017, 04:18 PM
I have an old Bixler-V2, it flies like a dog of a thing, all over the shop, half the flight it want's to go one way then the
other half it want's to do something else. I was forever trimming it only to have it do something else a few minutes later.
It is warped, twisted, the glue is cracked everywhere, it sat partly in the sun for nearly 12 months, it rattles like crazy under power.
It's never been crashed really although it was hit mid-air and spun around 180 by my mate in his old Bix-V1 once.
Anyway it was a "sometimes Plane" for when I was bored or other stuff was in the shop for repairs.

I dragged it out the other week and replaced the X6R with a spare S6R I had and set it all up and wow !
It's almost a pleasure to fly now, I did fix some split seams, re-glued and when my mate from Melb (AU) turned up
recently we had a few great sessions of Bixler Combat. No planes were harmed in the exercise

So if you have an old dog of a thing in the garage you never fly give it a new lease of life with an S6R, S8R