Sep 22, 2016, 01:31 AM
Thread OP
Can anyone tell me what these slots in the wing are for? Dont want to glass over them if they are important. I was thinking this area for the servo with an aileron horn the length and shape of the aileron. Hinged using 3 robart hinges
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2016, 08:49 AM
EDF all the way!
Slots are for wing tank mounts.
Bob
Sep 22, 2016, 04:42 PM
Thread OP
That's what I'd thought but mine didn't come with wing tanks. Suppose I could make some but theyd add drag.

Thaanks Bob. That was quick
Sep 26, 2016, 05:24 AM
Thread OP
The ailerons have been glassed with 25gm cloth and Zap finishing resin. It's not as tough as west systems epoxy but I don't think I need these too durable. I decided to put a servo in each wing. There's a huge gap between the wing and the aileron so I filled this with G10 horn cut on the CNC machine. Fits perfectly.
Sep 26, 2016, 06:04 PM
Classic jets rule
great idea ...kill two birds with one stone
Sep 27, 2016, 02:25 PM
Thread OP
I had rather thought so too. Thanks. It works real well keeping it simple. I had weighed the brass rod with all the connectors and the aileron. 35 gms doing it my way with the servo in the wing se save 10 gms. It's ten grams but 20 if doubled and hey a savings is a savings. I'm also finishing up the glassing of the wing. I should have weighed them before I started but we shall see what they come out to. So that's 45gm per sqr mtr on the bottom of the wing and 25gm per sqr mtr on top. I've decided to stick with the zpoxy. It's not as tough as west systems epoxy but it is lighter.
Sep 28, 2016, 12:31 PM
Thread OP
Correct me if this isn't going to work. Using my 4 inch Hotwire knife and a cloths peg to measure depth, I've cut an exact pocket to fit the servo. Pulled that out and routed a 5mm deep channel to seat the servo lead. Plan on wrapping the servo in masking tape and epoxy img into the pocket. This saves weight and seats the servo flush but... Do you think it'll be strong enough?
Sep 28, 2016, 01:23 PM
With planes of this size, I think it is better to have a real servo mount and hatch and have it where it is serviceable. Likewise, I would have a servo wire tunnel so that if you need to replace the servo you can.
If you have to belly land this plane, it is very possible to snag the aileron horn or servo arm in the grass and strip the gears. Sometimes saving every gram can be detrimental in the long run.
Just my opinion of course.
Sep 28, 2016, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
I see what you are saying Jhaywood and I agree with you but... can yiu see those hard wood block in the wing? The wheel/ retract hub is mounted to those. It sits roughly 5cm high and is in sch close proximity to the ailerone servo that I don't think the horn would touch much on a belly landing. The servo will be wrapped in masking tape the epoxied into the pocket. Any need to remove the servo should be to simply cut open the tape and extract the servo. The lead is tightly wedged into the channel which would only require one to snip the end and pull it through. Replacing will require removalof the wheel hub though.

I'm no expert and I really do appreciate all opinions and afvice.

cheers
Sep 28, 2016, 06:52 PM
If you are landing in the grass, gear up, thr wheel pods will go down to the dirt leaving the horns dragging through the greenery.
Also, Murphy's law says that if you glue something in permanently, it will fail and need replacing
One last thing and this is strictly opinion...
The Byron's A-4 is a fairly rare plane, even more so in the modern EDF era. I would wabt to make it as pretty possible. Servos mounted like that make it seem like a giant foamy, even though are putting HOURS and HOURS and of good work into it.
Again...just my thoughts. My Byron A-4 will have the aileron servos laid flat in a hatch, and the flap servos will be hidden in the wheel pod.
Good luck and have fun no matter which way you do it.
Sep 28, 2016, 09:44 PM
I would suggest that you build some servo mounts and epoxy them into the cores. Recess them so you can build covers that will sit flush with wing surface, screw them in place for easy access. The small amount of weight would be worth it.

I attached a link to the servo mounts I built for my Byron F16 build.

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...5-P1010947.jpg
Oct 02, 2016, 07:42 AM
Thread OP
You guys argue a good point. I'll make the lightest servo box/hatch possible. Been following LT' F16 build and changes a couple things on my wings. 5mm TE to accept the Roart hinges better. As you can see in the pics bellow, there's quite a gap between the wing and aileron. I'm considering making a slot in the wing for a 1cm piece of G10 to cover this. Ive also started on a new test stand for the Byron Fan and the SK3 T700 560kv motor. The helli guys are going 12s so I may give it a try myself see what my numbers are like. Wish me luck.
Oct 02, 2016, 01:09 PM
Still Screamin'!
Nice!
Oct 03, 2016, 01:49 AM
Thread OP
I thought I'd post these incase anyone needs them. My tablets not allowing me to post both.
Oct 03, 2016, 01:57 AM
Thread OP
The other one.

Quick Reply