Sep 16, 2016, 08:52 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

1/2A Mosquito w built-up wing, profile fuselage

Hi all,
I'm doing some research on a C/L profile Mosquito. This one is a little smaller than the BHM slab wing/profile kit on the table. I scrounged the plans from a guy in England, but can't find any details on the 'net.

It looks like it will be easy enough to build, but just wanted to know more history before committing my boys to it.

Anyone seen or know anything of it?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by 944_jim; Apr 22, 2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Convert to build log
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2016, 05:54 PM
BWA
BWA
Nice design. About the only thing I would change, is to make the wing symmetrical, rather than flat bottomed.....
Sep 17, 2016, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 944_jim
Hi all,
I'm doing some research on a C/L profile Mosquito. This one is a little smaller than the BHM slab wing/profile kit on the table. I scrounged the plans from a guy in England, but can't find any details on the 'net.

It looks like it will be easy enough to build, but just wanted to know more history before committing my boys to it.

Anyone seen or know anything of it?

Thanks in advance!
Looks like it's from a US magazine. The British Company FROG did a very nice profile twin kit for 09 to 15 size engines in the early 1960's. The plans are available on Outerzone.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5303
Last edited by locktite401; Sep 17, 2016 at 08:43 PM.
Sep 17, 2016, 10:40 PM
Thread OP
I picked up a BHM Mossie back in the spring. The BHM one is slated to be built around a pair of Norvel .074 Big Migs. Originally I planned on a pair of Babe Bees, but the instructions recommended at least .061s.

Then I got tunnel vision concerning the Mosquito, so I kept looking around.
I downloaded the Frog Mosquito. However, everywhere I looked I found the plan lacked the wing ribs.
The complete plan can be purchased from a British publisher. I understand the publisher owns the copyright. Also, at 36", the Frog Mossie is more than a little larger than this one.

This one is only a few inches narrower than the BHM version. So, based on a little OCD/ADD looking, I started trying to find a better wing to graft onto the BHM slabby...and that's how I bumped into this true 1/2A version. To make it worse, I scored a Guillow's Mossie a few weeks ago.

I tossed the attached plan over to a guy that laser cuts kits. He really likes it for his catalogue, but won't kit it without permission from the designer.
Which brings me to here....where I hope I can get enough info to contact the "owner" of the plan. I did a Google search on the name listed, and contacted a man by that name from up north...but he isn't the same guy. I checked the AMA catalogue, but didn't find it there.

Clearly I have a problem with twins, and especially this plane...and I haven't even mentioned the AMA plan for a 1/2A B-25, nor the Guillow's B-25 Mitchell in the closet, nor the BHM Electra next to the BHM Mossie.

Still looking for info...but I'm about to start the BHM one just to get a bird built.
Thanks, guys!
Sep 18, 2016, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 944_jim
I picked up a BHM Mossie back in the spring. The BHM one is slated to be built around a pair of Norvel .074 Big Migs. Originally I planned on a pair of Babe Bees, but the instructions recommended at least .061s.

Then I got tunnel vision concerning the Mosquito, so I kept looking around.
I downloaded the Frog Mosquito. However, everywhere I looked I found the plan lacked the wing ribs.
The complete plan can be purchased from a British publisher. I understand the publisher owns the copyright. Also, at 36", the Frog Mossie is more than a little larger than this one.

This one is only a few inches narrower than the BHM version. So, based on a little OCD/ADD looking, I started trying to find a better wing to graft onto the BHM slabby...and that's how I bumped into this true 1/2A version. To make it worse, I scored a Guillow's Mossie a few weeks ago.

I tossed the attached plan over to a guy that laser cuts kits. He really likes it for his catalogue, but won't kit it without permission from the designer.
Which brings me to here....where I hope I can get enough info to contact the "owner" of the plan. I did a Google search on the name listed, and contacted a man by that name from up north...but he isn't the same guy. I checked the AMA catalogue, but didn't find it there.

Clearly I have a problem with twins, and especially this plane...and I haven't even mentioned the AMA plan for a 1/2A B-25, nor the Guillow's B-25 Mitchell in the closet, nor the BHM Electra next to the BHM Mossie.

Still looking for info...but I'm about to start the BHM one just to get a bird built.
Thanks, guys!
For what it's worth, the Frog Mosquito plan doesn't have the printwood wing rib profiles included either. The recently published magazine copy is I believe, an exact photocopy of the Frog plan. Therefore the Copyright is still dubious, and the weight of evidence would suggest that it's extinguished.

I do have a copy of the printwood ribs somewhere, that and my paper plan predates the magazine issue. It's not important, proper wing ribs can be made using the "sandwich" method off the old plan.
Last edited by locktite401; Sep 18, 2016 at 08:23 PM.
Sep 26, 2016, 12:10 AM
amargaritan
Hi Jim,
You and I have been on parallel paths with the Norvel 0.074s and a Mosquito. I've purchased two RC versions, converted to c/l versions and bought Turbo plug adapters since the 0.074 glow buttons are tough to come by. Thanks for the lead on the Brown version of the Mossi.

Looking at the Frog plans, you're right, there are just some angled view of the ribs. With the plans though, we have the length of each and could guestimate the shape from the angled views and the fuselage opening.

There is also 37" version from Paul Palanek (Flying Models - July 63) but that one is a built up fuselage and calls for 0.15 to 0.29s. I'd like to see the article itself to determine if that's a pair of 15s or a single 29. Right now, that's more plane than I'm looking to scratch build and I'm not sure the Norvels would be the right engine.

Another 0.074 twin I've considered is a P-38 found on the Outerzone. Below are some additional references for you.
Cheers,
Andy

http://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=95960
http://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=82851
http://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=80740
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/search/re...yword=mosquito
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2461
Sep 27, 2016, 06:10 PM
Thread OP
Hi Andy,

I've downloaded this in the past. The Palenek plans are nice. Those planes are all a bit bigger than the space I can allocate to them...hence the desire to stay at 2.5 feet or less. AMA Plans service also shows a 1/2A B-25 Mitchell (plan 507 or 508...can't remember off hand). The Mitchell is based on two Babe Bees. The Mitchell is about the same size and construction as the thread's featured Mosquito.

I'd love to see your Mossie...please show pics!
How do the Norvel .074s run with the conversion heads?
Thanks!
Oct 01, 2016, 12:25 AM
amargaritan
Hi Jim,
I don't have a Mosquito built, just plans for a scratch build. But, I have bought the engines, turbo head adapters and turbo plugs. Below is a message I got from Dmitry with NV with a link with great info on the Turbo Heads for the 0.074. I haven't put them on the test stand yet.
Cheers, Andy

Subject: Re: NV Engines: 0.074 questions, etc
Hi Andy,

The main reason we offer a turbo plug set is that stock glow plugs are not sold separately. You have a choice to use either standard glow plugs, for which you buy an adaptor, or use turbo glow plugs.

Turbo glow plugs tend to last longer and offer better idling. Please read this forum:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-...urbo-head.html
Oct 01, 2016, 10:39 AM
Thread OP
Hi Andy,
You and I are in a horse race! I've got about 5 or 6 hours bench time on one of my Big Mig .074s. It starts fairly easily now. The first few times it was a bear! Break-in by hand is so difficult I haven't started the second one...but I need to! My first start break-in prop is a MAS 6x3. Once lightly freed up I switched to a Cox 5x3 3 blade. I need to tach both props. Maybe I'll have rpms numbers for each prop before the weekend ends.

Wear a glove, use a chicken stick, or go electric. If I had mo'bigga engines I would have bought a Sullivan Hornet. However, I have about 10 Cox .049s, and 1 AP .061 besides these two Norvels. I won't subject the Coxes to a starter.
Last edited by 944_jim; Oct 01, 2016 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Add pics
Oct 02, 2016, 01:09 AM
amargaritan
Hi Jim,
This is going to be somewhat off topic from the Mosquito, but I scored a Consolidated Twin Terror earlier this year and have two NIB OS FP 15s for it and worked with Lee's machine shop for some right angle exhaust adapters for tongue mufflers I also bought. Should be a fun ship. Life has been too busy for me to build, but I have project's lined up for retirement! Keep me in the loop on your 0.074 break ins and your Mossi project! Pictures please! Cheers, Andy
Jan 27, 2017, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
Well, I found out where the plan comes from.
Model Airplane News, August 1968.
Is MAN still being printed?
I found the additional info here:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/12-a-buil...with-pictures/
Feb 04, 2017, 04:00 PM
Found the plans for the Mosquito: Model Airplane News August 1968.

Brian
Feb 04, 2017, 04:41 PM
Thread OP
Hi Brian,

Thanks a bunch! I just pulled it down and read it. Funny how reading g the article causes me to want to dive in with both feet.

I'll print this and put it with the plans. Time to clear some work bench space and run up a couple of old Babe Bees!

Pics will be posted under a build thread.
Feb 11, 2017, 09:17 AM
I'm enjoying your thread Jim and looking forward to your build.

"Clearly I have a problem with twins." It's a catching virus Jim.

Bob

Still don't know which way I want the struts facing, in or out. Nothing is glued up so my options are open.
Feb 11, 2017, 02:11 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
The actual Mosquito had dual strut "frame" so either way would work. You might devise either a dual leg set-up or maybe a dummy leg for the other side.

Mike

Quick Reply