ME262 30mm EDF flight video - RC Groups
Sep 16, 2016, 08:33 PM
Discussion

ME262 30mm EDF flight video

Had this thing for almost 10 years, finally took some video. This is the second flight of this model. The single Castle TBird 6 ESC sometimes required a few start attempts to get both motors running, but once running there are no problems, as long as throttle is not reduced to zero. The throttle was reduced partway through the video, with the setup having plenty of power for the model. More details are in the video description.
ME262 EDF30 rc (1 min 46 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2016, 12:28 PM
That's great. Seems to fly well too.
How much power in those 30's? Could they run a larger model?
Asking as they, like too many 262 models seem to have a bit oversized nacelles.. for true scale.
262's Jumo inlets are /were 18 " diameter.
Zooo a 1:12 scale model would have 40mm inlets.
Meaning a 40 to 50mm fan could be fitted for a scale rendition.
Leading me to think that I could retrofit such to my 1:12 ...262.
Just what I need .... 'nother project.
Sep 17, 2016, 01:04 PM
Me 262, my all time favorite !

NICE model !
Sep 17, 2016, 05:19 PM
For Sale-everything over 250 g
Nice!
Sep 17, 2016, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the comments all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
That's great. Seems to fly well too.
How much power in those 30's? Could they run a larger model?
Asking as they, like too many 262 models seem to have a bit oversized nacelles.. for true scale.
262's Jumo inlets are /were 18 " diameter.
Zooo a 1:12 scale model would have 40mm inlets.
Meaning a 40 to 50mm fan could be fitted for a scale rendition.
Leading me to think that I could retrofit such to my 1:12 ...262.
Just what I need .... 'nother project.
Thanks.
I wouldn't imagine anyone would want to remotor fans for 12mm Feiagos these days, but the thrust is doubtfully any better than the higher kv 2s 10mm inrunner fans like the GP and Eflite. I used the highest KV Feigao that they made toward the end of their popularity run in a HE162, with marginally better results for the added current consumption, while batteries were lucky to really be a true 10C.

Peter Ilife has done one with the scale inlet reduction, that is reported to fly well. Had I known the power level, I would have tapered the inlets a bit, and accepted a bit of power loss, as this model flies well at part throttle.

It's actually very easy to fly. The inner wing uses a foam section that BSD Micro sold, where the outer uses FlyZone Mosquito undercamber sections, grafted on. On these smaller models, the undercambers are worth the sacrifice in looks and aerobatics (which aren't exactly 262 proper anyway). No need for AS3X, and this model is not light either, while the wing carries the weight surprisingly well. I could weigh it, but I'm remembering in the 6-7oz range, which is encouraging for someone wanting to build one with a bit of inlet reduction. At the time it was built, a TP3s-480 was fitted and was about the smallest battery that would power the setup without abuse. Something a bit smaller could be used today.
Sep 26, 2016, 02:43 PM
What wingspan is it and which plans did you use? I can see them but can't figure out which ones.

Attached a 1/72 one I airbrushed once. I like your faded longitudinal line on the fuselage better
Sep 26, 2016, 09:45 PM
Thanks. Nice little model. I still have a little Corgi model sitting around, that I bought as an "eyeball" reference for building 262s. I used the Phillip Noel plan, modified a bit. I think he had it posted back when he was building his LC balsa 262 design here. The scheme is supposed to look like the flying replica built by the Stormbirds a few years ago. I liked the colors on that version

edit: Forgot the span. A bit over 20" off top of head.
Last edited by AntiArf; Sep 27, 2016 at 11:18 AM.
Jan 27, 2017, 08:05 PM
My name is Naga
Great plane!

I am very interested in building one of these.

I just checked the Philip Noel plans and it seems to be 50" wingspan with 70mm ducted fans.

Did you reduce the scale or what?
Jan 27, 2017, 11:33 PM
Thanks. Being a scratch build, the PND plan was more of a reference point than anything else. It had scale shaped fuse formers, so it was reduced to build a micro version, with a few fuse formers omitted if I remember correctly. I posted more photos below, showing some details. I use a single Castle ESC to run 2 inrunners to save weight, as the 12mm Feigao motors are heavier than the 10mm motors available today. Takes a few starts occasionally to get both motors going, which you hear in the video, but once both are running they run fine, unless the throttle is reduced to zero in flight. Setting a bit of trim for idle, after startup, takes care of that.
Feb 27, 2017, 07:39 PM
Excellent. Want one.
Feb 27, 2017, 08:36 PM
My name is Naga
Yeh, I do too.

The Me 262 is one of my favourite planes.

With the Eflite A-10 Warthog, we already have the tech for this. Maybe Eflite will wow us and bring one out next. We should be so lucky!

I recently picked up a crashed A-10 for the two 28 mm EDFs, board with AS3X and the four servos for 31 off eBay. The nose was shattered but all the pieces were there so it could probably be put back together and flown in fact. Kinda put me off buying one of those since the nose is very long and fragile, it isn't going to take much of a bashing.

However, I do now have all the electronics etc to put together a Me 262 if I can develop my scratch building skills. After seeing what ARF can do, I am humbled and realise I have a long way to go and a lot to learn about building.
Mar 01, 2017, 07:56 AM
If you build one, the 1/32" sheeted/Microlite covered balsa fuselage is worth the effort. Very strong for the weight, and will tolerate most anything but a complete nose in landing. The slight undercambered wing sections also help. The model companies seem to make a more scale like section, which while more capable of aerobatics and inverted flight, can't haul around weight as well as the thin undercambered wing. I've had no need for stabilization on any of these small jets. 1/32" sheet balsa with Microlite makes good tail feathers also. Ample strength, and nearly unbreakable as it's quite springy and distributes stress well. Run a strip of sheet at the base and tip, with the grain running in the opposite direction, to prevent warpage and twisting. I'll use these versus foam now, as they're probably no heavier than foam, once CF sparring is glued to the foam to keep it from breaking. The wing section below was sold as a wire cut foam section by BSD Micro, which is used for the inner wing panels. The outer sections are pirated from a FlyZone model.
Oct 13, 2017, 01:11 PM
I Hate Orange Props
I found the build log here (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-A10-Fly/page2), for those looking for more information or considering their own Me-262 builds.
Last edited by MicroPlane6; Oct 17, 2017 at 06:34 PM.
Oct 13, 2017, 02:17 PM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s#post38446764

FWIW, problems it the past came from how I dealt with certain things.
On the topic of linking my builds, I'd like to take the liberty to link a few myself:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3#post37400881

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...scale%29/page7
Last edited by AntiArf; Oct 13, 2017 at 02:37 PM.
Oct 13, 2017, 07:23 PM
I Hate Orange Props
Last edited by MicroPlane6; Oct 17, 2017 at 06:33 PM.