Sep 22, 2016, 03:40 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Thread OP
LOL well guys. I have gone through the multirotor phase too and I know which is more fun.
Say no more...

I have just built my second one and my lad has claimed it.
Finished it and flew it today. It flies beautifully and he is rapt.
He is a learner and has no problems with this wing whatsoever.
We left the pod standard so both our Rainbows are identical except for the radios.
It would be very easy to make a wider longer pod for the Rainbow.
On both planes I had to add about 21 grams of weight to the nose to get the CofG right and that is with a 800 mAh 2S battery. ( It weighs 44.4 grams)
I have noticed that it is fairly forgiving and if the CofG is back a bit from 110mm it still flies nice. Likewise if it is nose heavy it still flies well but flares a bit slower when landing of course.

FPV.... Yes, well, I would rather FPV a Tek Sumo because they are a little bigger and have a lot more wing area. The wings on the Rainbow are narrower than some so wing loading could be a problem especially if you want to use larger batteries.
Could be done, but I would opt for a different wing myself.

The servos and horns have been set up exactly as the first modded build as that works perfectly.
Rolls are very snappy and with the original set-up they were awful.
Flying upside down is easy now and the original set-up really struggled with that as the elevons just didn't work properly at all.
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Sep 22, 2016 at 03:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2016, 03:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin80
Hi Grantham,

I've decided this will be my first ever wing build (first ever plane build to be honest, all multirotors till now) and I plan on following your mods from the get go. Going with that what size horns did you go to?

You also mentioned modifying the pod to move the battery forward, did you end of doing this, or any other changes?

I'm going to be trying to make this an FPV wing so hopefully I don't mess it up!

Thanks

Kye
I will have to measure those horns for you tomorrow Kye and take some close ups of the ones I used on the second build as they are a bit different. They are available at Hobby King. I will find a link for you.
Here is a LINK to the pin horns I used on the second build. I couldn't find the other ones anywhere. I chopped off the top 2 holes and drilled a new 0.8 mm hole just under where the lower hole was.

GK
Sep 22, 2016, 04:14 AM
Thread OP
This is the only place I can find the motor now. I used to be able to get it locally but now only the International Warehouse and they are on backorder.
Only the lower kV ones are available locally.
Sep 22, 2016, 06:55 AM
Thanks GK,

I'm going to be using the stuff I have around here. So it will be running Emax 2205 2300kv motors, 20amp esc, and a 3s 450mah battery (45g). I know I won't have the same duration of flight but I'm ok with that. I'll start there and if I want more I can swap to a larger 2S later. After all I'm used to about 3 minutes flight time on a 4S 1500mah battery....

FPV kit that I want to add will add about 22g total. So I guess I was thinking about moving that as far forward as possible instead of the nose weights.
Sep 22, 2016, 07:17 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks GK,

After all I'm used to about 3 minutes flight time on a 4S 1500mah battery....
That is one of the reasons I gave up quads.. Forever charging batteries and short flights. LOL

Those pin horns can be got on amazon and ebay too.
I like E-Max motors. I have some but they do seem heavier on batteries than others I have.
I guess you get the trade off in power for less fly time.
Sep 22, 2016, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
That is one of the reasons I gave up quads.. Forever charging batteries and short flights. LOL

Those pin horns can be got on amazon and ebay too.
I like E-Max motors. I have some but they do seem heavier on batteries than others I have.
I guess you get the trade off in power for less fly time.
The Emax are a bit of a power pig, but they are fast. So it goes around. They are also a little heavy.

I've picked up some of those horn, thanks. Everything is now on it's way!

This is a video of the day that made me decide a wanted a plane :P -
Chasing Planes (2 min 32 sec)
Sep 22, 2016, 09:33 AM
Quote:
This is a video of the day that made me decide a wanted a plane :P - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpY2jWM9jt8
Not available in the US
Sep 22, 2016, 10:47 AM
Suspended Account
Great job on the review and good move on the servo location and horns . like the size and for the price you can't beat it
Sep 22, 2016, 03:32 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Mikey.
I also added washers under the top of the engine mount on the second build to add a little downthrust. (back of motor points down)
This prevents the plane from climbing under full throttle because of the reflex.

If you don't have enough reflex it won't glide well when the motor cuts so you need to use the downthrust to prevent climbing under power.

Am I clear in my explanation?
Sep 22, 2016, 04:44 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
Thanks Mikey.
I also added washers under the top of the engine mount on the second build to add a little downthrust. (back of motor points down)
This prevents the plane from climbing under full throttle because of the reflex.

If you don't have enough reflex it won't glide well when the motor cuts so you need to use the downthrust to prevent climbing under power.

Am I clear in my explanation?
Makes million % sense
Sep 22, 2016, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis
Not available in the US
Vimeo version - Youtube blocked based on the song.

(2 min 31 sec)
Sep 22, 2016, 09:40 PM
Would this wing be ok for a complete beginner?
Sep 22, 2016, 10:04 PM
Got mine today. Motor is a 1407 3600KV, should be more than adequate on 2S, and weighs in at 17g with prop nut.
ESC is a Simon K 12A, I think the inbuilt BEC on these must be only 0.5A as I've had trouble getting it to drive two 9g servos before, see how we go...
I'm a Flysky Guy, so I'm going to run a 3Ch 'car' receiver.
I've got a couple of 8/9g servos which I plan to mount on their side, and move outwards from the original position.
Not sure I'll use the ply frame, as I had plans to set it up similar to my Red eagle with a cutout for the electrics.
The supplied 6mm carbon strip is likely to be moved forward, and the original position will get a longer 4mm carbon tube.
For the battery, I'm hoping a 950mAh 2S will give required COG without any extra weight?
All this is looking to give me an AUW of just under 200g.
Last edited by Rockracer; Sep 22, 2016 at 10:21 PM.
Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockracer
Got mine today. Motor is a 1407 3600KV, should be more than adequate on 2S, and weighs in at 17g with prop nut.
ESC is a Simon K 12A, I think the inbuilt BEC on these must be only 0.5A as I've had trouble getting it to drive two 9g servos before, see how we go...
I'm a Flysky Guy, so I'm going to run a 3Ch 'car' receiver.
I've got a couple of 8/9g servos which I plan to mount on their side, and move outwards from the original position.
Not sure I'll use the ply frame, as I had plans to set it up similar to my Red eagle with a cutout for the electrics.
The supplied 6mm carbon strip is likely to be moved forward, and the original position will get a longer 4mm carbon tube.
For the battery, I'm hoping a 950mAh 2S will give required COG without any extra weight?
All this is looking to give me an AUW of just under 200g.
Let me know how that car receiver works, Not sure how thats going to work
Sep 22, 2016, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 68
Let me know how that car receiver works, Not sure how thats going to work
I use one on my Red eagle wing with i10 TX, just a mater of using a Mix on the TX to copy channel 5 to channel 2.
Was also using one on my EPP Eagle until I gave it Ailerons.
I have had no problems.

Quick Reply