Sep 18, 2016, 11:11 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Thread OP
I will add pics later but I have now done a few mods to the Rainbow .

I moved the servos further out on the wings.
I fitted much larger horns
I fitted E-Max metal Gear Servos

Now the Elevons move like they should. The Rainbow should be much more responsive.
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Oct 15, 2016 at 05:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2016, 12:18 AM
How are the slow flight capabilities....and was that a tip stall in your video?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Sep 19, 2016, 02:01 AM
Thread OP
It flies slow real nice.
No tip stall. That was a roll at low level that didn't quite make it. LOL
The Elevons had no 'down ' with the original design.

It will roll nice and crisp now with the mods I have done.
Sep 19, 2016, 12:59 PM
Hi I am Mark & I am an addict
Great review and explanation of the build. Mine is still in transit, not much for me to say about it yet.

Fantastic idea on the servos and horns, how far over did you move the servos?

Mark
Sep 19, 2016, 03:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas
Great review and explanation of the build. Mine is still in transit, not much for me to say about it yet.

Fantastic idea on the servos and horns, how far over did you move the servos?

Mark
Hi Mark.
I will add pics today and some measurements. I may get to fly it again today. We have had a lot of wind and rain the last couple of days.
Sep 19, 2016, 05:34 PM
Thread OP
Here are the promised pics showing the new Servo positions and Elevon horns.
The servos are out as far as they can go without having to add extension leads to them.
I tried larger horns closer to the original ones and they were not successful so I 'bit the bullet' and did it properly.
I aligned the servos more with the angle of the elevon hinge rather than aligning them with the pod.

New Servo position

Showing the old horn position and the new one.

My favourite Servos, the E-Max ES08MA II Metal gears. (why would you use HXT900s at the price?)

New Receiver position and 10 Amp Turnigy Plush ESC on the side of the pod.

Last edited by Grantham Kid; Sep 19, 2016 at 05:55 PM.
Sep 19, 2016, 07:37 PM
Thread OP
I have now had a couple of flights since the mods and can report that it is now very responsive to the controls. Rolls are very crisp and axial whereas before they were slow and barrelly. (as seen in the video)
Loops are much the same as there was little difference in 'up' elevator.

I had noticed some elevon flutter when diving at speed previously. There is now no sign of flutter at all. This was due to the original servo/ horn position that had very little authority over the elevon.
Overall the mods have been 100% successful and well worth doing.

Servo and horn positioning seems to be the weak link with several Dancing Wings designs, not just this Wing. I expect better.
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Sep 19, 2016 at 07:45 PM.
Sep 19, 2016, 10:42 PM
John 3:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG Tobey
Hey guys,
Here is the product link:
http://bit.lc/4T9U

If you have any questions,
please contact me.
Yes, can i buy the pusher prop mount sheet?

I got the edf version but want to install a normal motor instead.
Sep 20, 2016, 01:13 AM
Thread OP
I took the Rainbow out for a session this afternoon.
It does nice crisp rolls and will actually fly upside down now which it wouldn't do before due to lack of down elevon.
I let my buddy have a fly and he liked it too.
I guess that ends my review of the Rainbow but I will monitor the thread as long as needed.

GK
Sep 20, 2016, 12:42 PM
DW have another flying wing called the "Lighting" with a reverse wing and tractor prop....I think they may have wanted to name it "Lightning"....!

What is the difference between the EMax ES 08MA and 08MA-II?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Sep 20, 2016, 02:56 PM
Thread OP
08MA and 08MA-II? I have no Idea. I read once that there were counterfeits being sold. I have never come across them. My first ones were the MA-II and they were great so I stuck with them.
Sep 21, 2016, 04:55 PM
Hi Grantham,

I've decided this will be my first ever wing build (first ever plane build to be honest, all multirotors till now) and I plan on following your mods from the get go. Going with that what size horns did you go to?

You also mentioned modifying the pod to move the battery forward, did you end of doing this, or any other changes?

I'm going to be trying to make this an FPV wing so hopefully I don't mess it up!

Thanks

Kye
Sep 21, 2016, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=Harlequin80;35780727]Hi Grantham,

I've decided this will be my first ever wing build (first ever plane build to be honest, all multirotors till now)/QUOTE]

Good to see someone moving from the Dark Side to fixed wing, usually happens the other way round!
Sep 21, 2016, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1auriec

Good to see someone moving from the Dark Side to fixed wing, usually happens the other way round!
Lol. Well this all started because I had a huge amount of fun chasing RC planes with my quad!
Sep 21, 2016, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin80
Hi Grantham,

I've decided this will be my first ever wing build (first ever plane build to be honest, all multirotors till now) and I plan on following your mods from the get go. Going with that what size horns did you go to?

You also mentioned modifying the pod to move the battery forward, did you end of doing this, or any other changes?

I'm going to be trying to make this an FPV wing so hopefully I don't mess it up!

Thanks

Kye
I've considered this wing too. I'm a multirotor guy also. Also considering the FT mini arrow.

Quick Reply