Oct 07, 2016, 08:59 PM
My 3 wings all ready to go.
The Rainbow ended up a 'porky' 240g. and feels a little nose heavy, but given the constant wind here, is probably well suited to heavier conditions.
The larger Red eagle came in at 345g and also feels a little nose heavy, but is my 'speed machine', and set up for windier days.
The Red Eagle in the middle at 300g is a little more tail heavy and will glide twice as far as the other two, given the same throw. It's for calmer days.
Both 'RE's' use the same 3S 1000mAh battery.
The heavier one has a little more reinforcing, and is notably stiffer than the other two wings, It's running a 2600KV EMAX which is way overkill, but fast and draws over 25A.
The middle wing has a cheap 2204 2300KV and flew nicely on 2S, I've not tried it on 3S yet, but it has ample thrust with an 18A draw.
The Rainbow with the 1407 3600KV on 2S also feels adequate with an 11A draw.
I was going to put the FPV on the middle wing, but decided I wanted to keep it light and simple as my 'Hack', and as the Rainbow needed nose weight and it didn't the Rainbow was the obvious choice. And they stack better this way, lol.
Next wing build will likely be another rainbow, but try and get it as light as possible as a slope soarer.
It's still blowing a gale here, so I've been giving the planes a miss and took my 210 quad for a spin yesterday arvo instead, and to test out the new FPV receiver. Until I drifted backwards into a tree and got hung up in rainforest vines. When I decided best to let the wind die down for that too, lol. So, I went back to indoor laps with my trusty V911...
Last edited by Rockracer; Oct 07, 2016 at 09:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2016, 09:14 PM
Hi friends, has anyone tried the PNP kit? I bought one and I think it is too underpowered.

I could fly it today but with 100% throttle all the time.

Does anyone have the manual for that esc. I'm no sure I'm callibrating it correctly.
Oct 08, 2016, 09:27 PM
I'm sorry, but I have no experience with the PNP kit, what motor does it have?
Oct 08, 2016, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockracer View Post
I'm sorry, but I have no experience with the PNP kit, what motor does it have?
Hi friend, it says:
MOTOR 1404 2900kv
ESC 5A
GW 5030 PROP
1000mah 2s battery
Oct 08, 2016, 09:44 PM
I would be guessing that motor would be already pushing the limits of a 5A ESC, by 1404, is that the actual dia (as most plane style motors are labled) or is that stator dia (my 1407 is actually 18mm total dia...)?
Oct 08, 2016, 09:54 PM
I'm guessing it's a C10? which is the same dia as my 1407 but 1/2 the length and weight. I had considered trying a C10 on another Rainbow, but, only as a slope sourer, I suggest if you want a faster wing, you will need to replace both the ESC and the motor, I can recommend my set up, it easily pushes the 5x3, however, a C10 would be right at it's limits with a 5x3 prop, as would the 5A ESC, this is typical of PNP gear...
Oct 09, 2016, 01:12 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Thread OP
If it is the C10 I am thinking of they are rubbish. The shaft is just pressed into the bell/ rotor and doesn't even have grub screws locking it.
We had 2 and neither lasted more than a few flights before the shafts came loose.
There has been enough info re motors and ESCs posted here so it is just a simple matter of reading the posts and seeing what we are using. A 5 Amp ESC is pathetic. 10 amp minimum required.
Oct 09, 2016, 03:23 AM
Looks like they have just released a new version. 1000mm.
Oct 10, 2016, 02:57 AM
Thread OP
The Dancing Wings Rainbow Wing Version 2 was supplied by BangGood

I received the V2 Version today and have started the build but this time I chose the Ducted Fan Version.

I guess V2 just means it is a different colour and the V2 kit does not contain any Foam Glue... ??
Oversight? Cost cutting?

So you will need to buy your own UHU Por glue to build the V2 or just use Hot Glue.

I chose the DF model as I had a 30mm Fan from a previous project and I already have 2 pusher prop models. I know the 30mm Fan is not over-endowed with power so I am building this one light and just using smaller plastic geared servos. (6 grams)

I have cut open the pod so that the RX and ESC can sit inside unobtrusively.

I think the motor on the fan is around 10,000 kV

Here I have marked the positions of the locating pegs on the pod, Cut them out with a exacto or scalpel fill with glue and smear some glue on the pod pegs so good adhesion takes place and then sit the pod in position and leave to dry.

I think Dancing Wings might need a new Laser as the one they use for this has some pretty bad wobbles in places that required cleaning up with a knife before the parts would fit properly.

To be continued...
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Oct 10, 2016 at 03:19 AM.
Oct 10, 2016, 06:21 AM
I thought the V2 was also meant to contain an additional carbon spar?
Oct 10, 2016, 09:48 AM
Harlequin80, where you find the Rainbow 1000mm? Thank you
Oct 10, 2016, 10:32 AM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Well now that I'm in the correct thread, hello from the States.

I ordered 5 of these wings from BG and man is it taking forever for them to get here. Ordered 2 then 1 then two of the V2 and after 3 weeks only the first two have shown up so far.

My first build was a test bed with an aluminum motor mount and carbon fiber tray. Honestly I think the motor mounts that come with the kit are rubbish and planned to custom build my own mounts anyway. ESC will also go on top in future builds.

Picked up several 1806 2280KV RacerStar motors from Bangood and a few boxes of their King Kong 5040 props in different colors. Ten pairs for less than $6 is hard to beat and they're decent props. Fairly stiff and close to APC in shape. I wasn't expecting much from the $7 RacerStar motors but the one I've installed so far, aside from developing slight shaft play and bearing noise, is actually still performing very well after several flights running on 3S. Unlimited vertical is no problem.

Some people have mentioned activating the brake on the ESC but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Every time I've throttled off to glide the prop has stopped spinning completely, unless you're diving. Plus on landing the prop will generally rotate horizontal after catching some grass. With the brake on you run more of a risk of the blade digging in and causing damage.

A few of the next builds, when they finally show up, will get better quality Cobra motors and I've ordered a couple SK3 motors from Hobbyking just because I want to see if the quality of that particular motor from HK is as good as some say it is. It has the prop saver built in which isn't necessary for such a small prop but I'll give it a try since it's the only one I will ever have. Have to try everything once.

As pretty much everyone else has figured out by now, mods need to include moving the servos and control horns farther out, using better quality control horns and add additional sparring (I mismeasured the location of the one of the control horns on the test plane and it still needs to be moved over 10mm).

A "mild" nose in snapped the nose off my test plane and ripped a chunk off the winglet. All subsequent builds will get coroplast winglets and they'll probably be symmetrical and a little longer. My rainbow wobbles all over the place settling after quick maneuvers.

With the 1300mah 3S mine weighed in at 265g as I recall. The other builds will get 800mah 2S batteries which will immediately drop the weight to around 200g. Those will be used to let less experienced pilots I'm training practice with something fairly easy to fly and to gain some solo skills before going to the bigger (read much more expensive) stuff.

And for fun I picked up a couple of Exceed Helium 1906 3500KV 150 watt motors that will make something go really really fast. Just not sure what yet.
Oct 10, 2016, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Welcome to the thread XionUAV

Interesting that you say yours has exhibited wobble tendencies as neither of mine show any sign of that at all.
I can't find any difference in the CF rods to the first release model.
I will add my own long rod underneath as I did in the other ones.
I am hoping to mount the servos and horns today but I have spent the last 2 days mainly sleeping so I guess it depends on how I feel later on.
I got the Pod mounted yesterday before I went to bed so it should be well and truly cured by now.
Pictures later.

There is very little left to do and I like these as they are a very quick build.
I guess I will be able to put up a video of the DF version in the next few days all going well.

GK
Oct 10, 2016, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin80 View Post
I thought the V2 was also meant to contain an additional carbon spar?
If you are up this way mate you can have a fly with it or bring yours and we will have a session.
Oct 10, 2016, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStorm View Post
Harlequin80, where you find the Rainbow 1000mm? Thank you
Here is the link to the 1000mm version:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...347283486.html

Don't know what else is different though.

Quick Reply