Help with Slash 4X4 or Losi Baja Rey - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 15, 2016, 11:53 PM
Discussion

Help with Slash 4X4 or Losi Baja Rey

I'm torn between these two and need help. Just looking on opinions to which one is better.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2016, 01:00 AM
...better at what?
Sep 16, 2016, 03:39 AM
Pretty sure the Baja rey will be better in virtually every way but its brand reputation not experience talking .its got an uber cool live rear axle too ,what's not to like.
Sep 16, 2016, 09:26 AM
Did I make the A Main?
This is really comparing apples to oranges, but let me try to help break things down by using the following evaluation index based on my personal opinions:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho....php?p=2309707

4WD Traxxas Slash - $550
1) Price = 1
2) Durability = 3
3) Performance = 3
4) Support = 5
Overall = 3.0

4WD Losi Baja Ray - $450
1) Price = 3
2) Durability = 5
3) Performance = 4
4) Support = 5
Overall = 4.25

A more appropriate comparison would be Slash vs SCTE
or El Rey vs Axial/Vaterra

Note that both Vaterra and Losi are owned by Horizon, Vaterra is known to be a slightly lower quality brand, pretty much on par with Traxxas, while Losi is a higher quality brand with more upgrades and options included.

Any rate, Losi will always be better than an equivalent Traxxas, Axial or Vaterra product in its class.

more info here on the El Ray worth reading:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ey-thread.html

It's kinda funny reading a couple Slash fan boys hate on the ElRay without any experience and then seeing others who have owned both cars explain how the El Ray is worlds apart better than the Slash, ha!
Sep 18, 2016, 11:49 AM
I have driven the Slash and I have the Baja Rey. This is my first car with a live rear axle and for me the only way to describe how the Rey handles is almost like a rear wheel drive car with a limited slip differential. Going into turns, you need to punch through them and drift it. Otherwise it will traction roll, punching it makes it hunker down a bit and hook up the front tires. The front is diff'd so you have this push-pull thing happening.

The Rey does come with AVC, however I turned it off after testing it for about 30 seconds. It takes all the fun out of the Rey. With AVC it handles a lot like a 3 diff car.

I'm running all stock on 3S and running a few seconds behind the SCTs at the track. Last night I ran pack after pack, perhaps over 10 packs, sometimes giving the Rey a rest, most times just putting a new pack and back on the track. So far the motor and electronics are holding up pretty well.

The Rey has some serious parts limitations, first the wheels and tires. The tires are taller than your SCT however I believe they will fit on the axle hexes. I tried putting a Slash wheel on and the axle hex was too small. There aren't any aftermarket wheel/tire set for the Rey so you will have to either settle for buying the stock Rey set or getting a smaller diameter SCT set.

There are no aftermarket parts for the Rey. So why did I buy the Rey? I just love how it looks and I wanted to try out a solid rear axle car. I bought it for running at the park. The body is made up of 4 separate pieces that is attached to a full roll cage (I think space frame is more accurate) so impacts are distributed throughout the chassis, not just on the body. You can order each section separately ($25-ish painted) and not an entire set. Losi does have a clear set for custom paint jobs. So far my hood and one of the rear quarter panels have the most damage but still hanging on.

The Rey's weak spot are the bearings that hold both the front and rear drive pinion shafts in the axle bulkheads. I have broken both front and rear due to impacts at the front bulkhead and the rear pumpkin. They won't fail on their own.

I won't go into the Slash details for they are all very well known and documented. But in my honest opinion, for the same price as a 4x4 Slash there are many other superior offerings from just about all the other major and minor brands. OP ask yourself how you are going to use this "toy" and how important parts support is. As for me, do I like the Rey? I guess so since I bought two of them.
Sep 18, 2016, 07:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. After reading these posts and additional research I've decided on either the SCTE or SCBE. Right now I have a E Revo and it can take a serious beating so I was thinking staying with Traxxas but I think Im going to try out a Losi for my second vehicle. Just got to figure out which one.
Sep 18, 2016, 07:24 PM
Suspended Account
id go with the scbe.. i have a few scte.. it takes about 4 ounces of weight in the servo box to have equal weight on all 4 tires...traction roll needing to drift in corners just wont happen in my case..i do have a 3500 kv on 2 cell with a 12t p/ 45 tooth steel spur..good luck enjoy the new rc..
Sep 18, 2016, 07:40 PM
Thank you
Sep 18, 2016, 07:44 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman79
...I've decided on either the SCTE or SCBE...
wise choice, you can't go wrong with either, just go with what looks more interesting to you.

the SCTE will be a little lighter up top and less likely to traction roll, it will also be easier to self marshal when on it's side, simply turn the front wheels into the ground, blip the throttle to self-right itself.

The SCBE will have less of a tendency to have parachuting issues and will probably take large jumps a little better, plus the roll cage will handle abuse better and the body will stand the test of time significantly longer.

Most SCT bodies get banged up pretty quickly, but I know of many folks who enjoy painting new bodies frequently just to have a fresh new look/design.

Quick Reply