Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by Prof100, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 14, 2016, 01:16 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

Castle Talon 90 fixed end point calibration


WARNING or CAVEAT -- With a AR635 this procedure with prevent the stabilization function from initiating.

I spoke to Thomas at Castle tech support. Auto Calibrate of the throttle is the default and theoretically each time you connect the battery you have to go through a calibration. Truth being better than fiction the 2 second wide open throttle calibration is scarey with 2 hp. electric motor spinning a 16 inch prop. So, in practical terms, all you have to do is position throttle at mid point, connect battery, pull to idle to arm the ESC. idle out and then go full throttle for 2 seconds for takeoff. Top end is recalibrated. Don't like using the Autocalibrate default? Keep reading.

You can easily program the Fixed endpoint throttle using the Castle programming card.

This is written from my perspective as a user of a Spektrum DX8 first generation. This is a three part process. Step 1 is to setup the ESC to use fixed endpoints and Step 2 is to adjust the throttle end points in the servo setup Travel throttle setting interface. Step 3 is to bind the receiver again because you need to reset the fail safe.

STEP 1 -- Switching from auto calibrating the throttle to Fixed
First is to connect the card to the throttle lead from the ESC and pressing the lower right button to Throttle (bottom left) and deselecting auto calibrate and selecting FIXED.

STEP 2 -- Adjust throttle end points.
Once Step 1 is completed you then power up the plane normally and adjust the radio setting by selecting Servo setup and adjusting throttle travel. Set both to 40% so they are not outside the range of fixed end points. Power up the plane (PROP REMOVED) and go to SERVO SETUP and adjust the idle and throttle range slowly until you get the beep then go two more percentage points for temperature variation. Repeat for the other position. Moving you throttle from idle should engage the throttle and the motor should speed up. My throttle end point on my Carbon Z Cub is 45% on idle and 86% on wide open throttle. These settings may work for your system or they may not. I can only tell you it works for me.

STEP 3 -- Rebind receiver because your fail safe positions have changed.

Done.

Need tech support? Call the gentleman I spoke to in Castle Tech Support. His name is "Thomas" and his phone number is 913-390-6939 x125. He will take you through it step by step. He assisted me on my Carbon Z with a Power 60 and a Talon 90 and also a Eflite Splendor with a stock motor and a Talon 90.

Save this for future reference.
Last edited by Prof100; Jul 21, 2017 at 07:55 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2017, 12:27 PM
All aboard Flight 666
grant22's Avatar
Prof100,

I'm considering doing this to my CZC today since I'm tired of the calibration song and dance.

Once FEP's are calibrated, what is the new power on procedure, if any?

Thx,
Grant
Jun 01, 2017, 12:26 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22
Prof100,

I'm considering doing this to my CZC today since I'm tired of the calibration song and dance.

Once FEP's are calibrated, what is the new power on procedure, if any?

Thx,
Grant

Just like any other ESC. Or you can put it mid range to act as a safety.
Jun 01, 2017, 01:46 PM
All aboard Flight 666
grant22's Avatar
Thx Prof.

I tried it, and have since gone back to the normal Auto Cal

Only reason is because Fixed End Point on mine wouldn't allow the AS3X to initiate. There's probably a way around that, but I don't have time to figure that out currently.

Yes, I do value AS3X on this plane
Jun 07, 2017, 04:12 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22
Thx Prof.

I tried it, and have since gone back to the normal Auto Cal

Only reason is because Fixed End Point on mine wouldn't allow the AS3X to initiate. There's probably a way around that, but I don't have time to figure that out currently.

Yes, I do value AS3X on this plane
Hmmm. AS3X still works on mine.
Jul 21, 2017, 07:53 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Thread OP
Grant,


I was flying in the wind and notice my CZCUB wasn't doing as well handling it. I checked the boot up sequence and the AS3X, as you posted, was not arming. I will amend the first post in this thread with a warning. My plane has the AR635 which can only be stick programmed and I would rather have a root canal with no novacaine than stick program a AS3X AR635 receiver.


Bill
Last edited by Prof100; Nov 25, 2017 at 10:42 PM.
Dec 20, 2017, 06:29 PM
Registered User
Pattern_is_fun's Avatar
Per the HELP file for CC talon90...

Fixed-Endpoints
Fixed-Endpoints will set zero-throttle and full-throttle points to fixed values so that the ESC does not have to learn from your transmitter. If you are using this mode, you will most likely want to change the EPA settings on your transmitter to allow full throttle resolution with the throttle stick. To do this, turn on your TX and set normal mode in the transmitter for a linear throttle curve (0,25,50,75,100). Bring your high side and low side endpoints on your throttle channel down to 25%, plug in the battery pack with the throttle stick at full (it won't start up), then bring your high endpoint back out towards (and sometimes past) 100% until you hear a single tone. Next, bring your throttle stick down to the bottom position and bring the endpoint out from 25% out towards (and possibly past) 100% until you hear the ESC arm. Unplug the battery pack, wait a few seconds, then plug back in and verify that the throttle is working properly.
Dec 20, 2017, 09:15 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattern_is_fun
Per the HELP file for CC talon90...

Fixed-Endpoints
Fixed-Endpoints will set zero-throttle and full-throttle points to fixed values so that the ESC does not have to learn from your transmitter. If you are using this mode, you will most likely want to change the EPA settings on your transmitter to allow full throttle resolution with the throttle stick. To do this, turn on your TX and set normal mode in the transmitter for a linear throttle curve (0,25,50,75,100). Bring your high side and low side endpoints on your throttle channel down to 25%, plug in the battery pack with the throttle stick at full (it won't start up), then bring your high endpoint back out towards (and sometimes past) 100% until you hear a single tone. Next, bring your throttle stick down to the bottom position and bring the endpoint out from 25% out towards (and possibly past) 100% until you hear the ESC arm. Unplug the battery pack, wait a few seconds, then plug back in and verify that the throttle is working properly.
Thanks


Quick Reply
Message:
Thread Tools