Sep 13, 2016, 02:58 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Red5 Footy Class 3D Printed

Mark Dicks and I have been working on this project for few months now and finally the outcome is awesome.
I've managed to remodel the file given by Mark, into solid printable hull.

This is a 3 modular footy class hull which has everything inside, keel box, mast box, rudder post, even the lid can be printed.

The first prototype was printed with PLA Plus by ESUN and surprisingly it was tough and strong. I should rework the thickness of the hull and keel box to have more weight reduction on the whole boat.

Keel and rudder can be printed as well but I have not printed them yet.
Total printing hours is 30 hours. Support clean up takes about 30mins.
Now it's a matter of gluing the 3 pieces with epoxy, prep the surface for painting and put in the electronics

Man, i'm so lazy
Next project RG65 or IOM ?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2016, 09:38 AM
Lucas
Could you could make the hull super thin and add tiny stiffeners like a real ship is built? I'm not sure it would be overall lighter, but would be really neat.
Sep 14, 2016, 09:46 AM
Thomas Armstrong
AWESOME!!!! First time I see a 3D print working
Question - how much did it weight?
I think the major problem with printed hulls is weight - Footy should be 500gr max overall weight...
Sep 14, 2016, 10:30 AM
More importantly, will the files be available ....?

I'm actually more interested in the keel and rudder than the hull itself.
Sep 14, 2016, 11:02 AM
W Kuhns
So cool my son is in 6th grade and has been 3d printing. Amazing stuff there. Lol the only computer I had when I was his age was None!! We had just been for the first time been introduced to small calculators. Casio. Not things are just stuff we thought about and immagine that have come true. Good luck with that footy. Will be following this thread.
Sep 14, 2016, 11:25 AM
I had thought about using the printer to make my plug as the plastics are quite heavy. Also I would suspect that the cheap machines have a hard time printing really fine details., i.e. Thin wall sections. Having used Dlp and Sla machines in a production environment there are still some issues with platforming and how some geometry builds.
Getting the files is easy to do since I design in 3D cad, just a simple output to a stl file. I am sure as more patents expire our options as hobbyists will become better. Both in machine capabilities and material selection.
Sep 14, 2016, 01:50 PM
This is really impressive and thank you for sharing.
Right now I'm on the same path as gio06226, thinking that 3D printing individual components, such as a fin box, is the way to go. A rudder horn was my first attempt in this field and early impressions are that it will work well. Weight is only a couple of grams but, more importantly for holding the rudder shaft secure, cutting a thread in the PLA material to accept a grub screw worked OK and it has not stripped despite of a few rudder removals and re-tightens.
I did try a rudder blade in PLA but it was far too flexible. Like slotracer577, my reaction was to think about printing the negative form for a mould instead.
Sep 15, 2016, 05:59 AM
this was just a test model to see if it was feasible to print a complete boat. the second version has had the print thickness reduced to get the weight down. the next step would be to design a hull that is narrower in the beam which will reduce the weight further.

at the moment the design is not available to the "Public Domain". later version will be available
Sep 18, 2016, 09:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmstro
I think the major problem with printed hulls is weight - Footy should be 500gr max overall weight...
Well for the first test print without thinking of the weight the whole thing is just 210g , but with the second version in my computer with thinner shell and extra opening , the estimated material weight is only 115g, with PLA Plus filament.
Sep 18, 2016, 09:26 PM
Thread OP
I will try to run the Proto Pasta or the ColorFabb carbon filament to see if we can use on the keel and rudder when I've got sometime.
The keel and rudder will be having some 1.5-1.8mm slot to slot some carbon rods in for reinforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 42
Right now I'm on the same path as gio06226, thinking that 3D printing individual components, such as a fin box, is the way to go. A rudder horn was my first attempt in this field and early impressions are that it will work well. Weight is only a couple of grams but, more importantly for holding the rudder shaft secure, cutting a thread in the PLA material to accept a grub screw worked OK and it has not stripped despite of a few rudder removals and re-tightens.
I did try a rudder blade in PLA but it was far too flexible. Like slotracer577, my reaction was to think about printing the negative form for a mould instead.
Sep 18, 2016, 09:28 PM
Thread OP
Slimmer hull sounds tempting Mark !
Let's do it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark dicks
this was just a test model to see if it was feasible to print a complete boat. the second version has had the print thickness reduced to get the weight down. the next step would be to design a hull that is narrower in the beam which will reduce the weight further.

at the moment the design is not available to the "Public Domain". later version will be available
Oct 05, 2016, 08:58 PM
Thread OP
My first print with no weight consideration in mind was 220g for the hull.
The V2 not printed but with thinner shell and more access holes, calculated in the slicer, material consumption estimated at 120g.
I'm trying to match the Breithorn Footy specification hehehe ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmstro
Oct 05, 2016, 09:01 PM
Thread OP
Mark and I have discuss on this and it will be available for download once i clean up and rectify the design for printing. Rudder and keel has been modelled for printing.
The keel has been tested for printing and i'm still finding time for the keel cause my print bed is only 240x 210x 200. The keel is pretty tricky to print and i'm finding the best orientation to reduce plastic waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio06226
More importantly, will the files be available ....?

I'm actually more interested in the keel and rudder than the hull itself.
Oct 05, 2016, 09:05 PM
Thread OP
Well, i'm using only filaments ... DLP and SLA are way to expensive for hobbyists like us.
I'm testing several brand and it seems the ESUN PLA + gives a better strength but the problem is , it will be soft at 55 celsius.
I'm also testing the ColorFabb amphora filaments NGEN, XT series as well as the carbon fibre filament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577
I had thought about using the printer to make my plug as the plastics are quite heavy. Also I would suspect that the cheap machines have a hard time printing really fine details., i.e. Thin wall sections. Having used Dlp and Sla machines in a production environment there are still some issues with platforming and how some geometry builds.
Getting the files is easy to do since I design in 3D cad, just a simple output to a stl file. I am sure as more patents expire our options as hobbyists will become better. Both in machine capabilities and material selection.
Oct 05, 2016, 09:19 PM
Thread OP
I'm trying to model out the keel and rudder with some slots to slot in some carbon rods or tube to give some reinforcement to the rudder and keel.
Please wait for my updates and i'll be posting the file soon. As soon as i've tested out the V2, printed and sail it, it will be available for download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 42

Quick Reply