Sep 26, 2016, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarchitect
The silver one is an Alias.

Here is a pic of a Rodent.

John Higgins is the designer and has the molds. You would have to get one from him or find someone willing to part with one.

Adam
Does he still make planes?
His stuff is popular.
Last edited by Sand_; Sep 27, 2016 at 03:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2016, 11:30 PM
On the Go Fly List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandd
Does he still make planes?
His stuff is popular.
Sometimes. Occasionally he posts short kits for sale. Some folks have been known to get planes from him by request.

Here is a pic of aN R10. A thicker fuse than the Rodent. Similar wing and tail.
Sep 27, 2016, 03:24 AM
Jeez,

If these PNF things hit ya they'll go right thru ya

I'd say his planes are some of the scariest, nastiest, coolest looking planes I've seen

IMHO

That's a sweet looking Rodent you have there.
Last edited by Sand_; Sep 27, 2016 at 03:32 AM.
Sep 27, 2016, 05:26 AM
by ZIPPER
Here is some info that someone had posted some time ago:

Here’s how I understand it:

The Higgins line goes back quite a few years and it all started with a plane with no name. It was:

Pointy, like a Rodent- canopy, low wing, no wing fillet, v-tail. This is the plane John tried all the different airfoils on until he came up with the one he uses now. Some where, down in the poison oak of my slope one sits, just waiting for me to find it...or maybe buy it off of someone who doesnt break out as bad from poison oak.

Alias, like the "no-name", but has a low wing with a huge fillet around the wing like a Nova Racer. V-tail, canopy. I have one that's about 15 years old and while it's long in the tooth, it's amazing on a good day.

Rodent: High wing, glued-on v-tail, canopy.

Rodent: High wing, glue-on "wedge tail" with fully flying elevator, canopy. John had dropped the v-tail since people had a hard time getting the decalage right on the glued-on v-tail.

Rodent: High wing, molded in "wedge-tail" with fully flying elevator, slip-on nose cone

R-2- early: High wing, molded in wedge tail with elevator stab, and swoopier lines on the wedge tail. Nose cone parting line is at an oblique angle. A guy I know has a purple one that I want.

R-2 later: High wing, molded wedge tail, regular non-oblique cut on nose cone, either fully-flying or elevatored stab (your choice). This is pretty much the standard modern Rodent.

R-3: Same wing and tails, with a slightly larger diameter fuse with a canopy. I kinda like it, as the fuse is easier to get a grip on. Mine is has an uber-heavy layup. John will usually provide a fully-flying elevator or an elevatored stab at customers request.

In the end, it really doesnt matter. They're all fast and fun. If you just say "Rodent" everyone knows what youre talking about.

Then... you can cover the F-20 lineage:

F-20: Wing glued on from the bottom of the fuse with a glued on cover. This is the one you see in "Lift Ticket"

T-38: F-20 wing with a T-38 fuse.

F-20 late: Wing is installed through the fuse. New mold.

California Sloper: This is an F-20 wing/tail with a new fuse mold.

I don't really know enough about the Intruder and the Avenger, but they were stubby looking, with the usual Rodent wings and tails. You can usually ID them by the huge over-wing cover.
Sep 27, 2016, 05:43 AM
by ZIPPER
Here's a pic of my Rodent.
And the Higgins planes I have are:
R1 still to make
R3
R10 still to make
Rat still to make
F20
Mole still to make
California Sloper still to make
and I think I have an Avenger still to make.
Sep 27, 2016, 06:57 AM
sleep hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPER
Here's a pic of my Rodent.
And the Higgins planes I have are:
R1 still to make
R3
R10 still to make
Rat still to make
F20
Mole still to make
California Sloper still to make
and I think I have an Avenger still to make.
That's an impressive list Zipper!
Sep 27, 2016, 09:43 AM
It's not going to build itself
Sweet looking planes guys!!
Sep 27, 2016, 12:55 PM
High Lift Coefficient

Alias

I flew with John for many years back in the day, either near his old house in Benicia, Tick point or Goat Rock. He gave me (for very little cost) the first production Alias after his own prototype for evaluation. Not a kit, but it was completely built, servos installed (one for ailerons and one for elevator) and painted all white. Back then, the RnR Nova was the hot ticket in town and he wanted a simplified, inexpensive mini Nova, initially for his own enjoyment, that's why the similarities with the Nova. I think he only built just a few of these, that's why they're not well known like the other designs. The plane was a blast to fly in high wind coastal conditions, but a handful in other scenarios. Landing speed was high and I think this plane was responsible for clearing a lot of the landing area at Tick Point! I actually took it to one of first Soar Utah events and did manage to fly it at Francis Peak near 10K feet. When I moved I sold it to Slopemeno at Tick and he may still have it.
Sep 27, 2016, 01:34 PM
On the Go Fly List
Tony still has it, although I have never seen it fly. He flies his F20 and Rodent occasionally and they are impressive to see.

Hope to have another Alias in the air soon

Adam
Sep 27, 2016, 04:52 PM
auto-tune remix
I was conducting "scientific research" (read: screwing around) to see how fast I could potentially fly in a constant 20 mph wind with no dive to enter- and the answer was 79 mph. Of course, I was flying really low and hit a bush at speed, so I'm repairing a big bashed in area on the leading edge.

While I was repairing the wing I thought I'd go through the fuse and repair the plywood wing mounts, and install a new servo for the elevator, so it's getting a 200,000 mile rebuild, but it will fly again. I also found that the E-600 I had used to mount a servo in the wing had eaten a significant part of the center section core, so I flooded that area with Tap Super-Hard 4-into-1 epoxy to backfill.
Sep 27, 2016, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
I was conducting "scientific research" (read: screwing around) to see how fast I could potentially fly in a constant 20 mph wind with no dive to enter- and the answer was 79 mph. Of course, I was flying really low and hit a bush at speed, so I'm repairing a big bashed in area on the leading edge.

While I was repairing the wing I thought I'd go through the fuse and repair the plywood wing mounts, and install a new servo for the elevator, so it's getting a 200,000 mile rebuild, but it will fly again. I also found that the E-600 I had used to mount a servo in the wing had eaten a significant part of the center section core, so I flooded that area with Tap Super-Hard 4-into-1 epoxy to backfill.
Pic please for God's sakes!
Sep 27, 2016, 06:37 PM
On the Go Fly List
I see that Sandd is addicted and needs his pic fix. I will upload a pic of a Rat soon...that ought to keep him going for a day or two
Sep 27, 2016, 07:05 PM
auto-tune remix
Not too much to tell. It was easier than you'd think to sand that basswood piece to match- 60 grit really cuts. The piece still needs to be glassed in.

Sanding off all the paint, on the other hand was not fun.
Last edited by slopemeno; Sep 27, 2016 at 07:15 PM.
Sep 27, 2016, 07:18 PM
auto-tune remix
How did I cut that piece out, you ask? Dremel cutoff wheel.
Last edited by slopemeno; Sep 27, 2016 at 07:24 PM.
Sep 27, 2016, 10:20 PM
taste the high speed dirt
Thread OP
Hey slopemeno....are those the true original tails per Mr higgins design??....adams alias needs tails and I need a starting point

Quick Reply