Thread Tools
Sep 12, 2016, 11:58 AM
An old Irascible Curmudgeon
sheriffjohn's Avatar
Thread OP
Help!

VQ 46 size SBD dauntless Dive Bomber


I bought this ARF thinking that it would be a good platform for my OS .95 engine.

I like HP and i have seen a VQ FW 190 with a OS .91 and it flew great. But the dauntless is more "draggy" than the 190

Is this engine too big for this airframe?

I've seen a couple of VQ advertisements. One said up to .71 and another said up to a .91. Since the OS .95 is a upgraded .91, i thought it would be OK.

Opinions?

Thanks

SJ
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2016, 06:07 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm's Avatar
I went eletric and larger to a 60 size epower ve 45 because it's needs nose weight.
I would check the weight of each engine before you decide.
It's a great flyer , I would scrap the brakes as designed and either use two servos over wing for flaps/breaks and or just one big flap.
Sep 12, 2016, 10:48 PM
An old Irascible Curmudgeon
sheriffjohn's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
I went eletric and larger to a 60 size epower ve 45 because it's needs nose weight.
I would check the weight of each engine before you decide.
It's a great flyer , I would scrap the brakes as designed and either use two servos over wing for flaps/breaks and or just one big flap.
Thanks! Good to know that it's a good flyer. It looks great and it looks as though it's built pretty rugged. But I noticed the plywood is pretty dried out. While working on those dive brakes, one of the servo brackets snapped off and was surprised to see the plywood layers splintered. So I glued on a thin piece of maple plywood firm it up.

I first thought that the dive brakes assy was going to be easy to assemble, but what a pain! I first broke off the flap tabs because they hit the wing frame before the flap did. Had to notch that rectangular hole to accommodate the tabs. The rods flex too much and I burned out some medium sized servos! I put std sized servos and did some tweeking and all is good.

I originally wanted to make the flaps/dive brakes operate per scale, but I figure no one would ever see the dive brakes operational. Then I noticed that the retracts are backward. The struts are on the wrong side. So I've decided not to go too crazy on scale looks on this bird. Just slap on that big .95 4 stroke and have some fun. That 4 stroke should help with the nose weight issue.

SJ
Sep 15, 2016, 05:28 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm's Avatar
Just like you I scrapped the dive brakes for one full flap idea.
SO I glued the top brake on , filled the gap and painted to match from Lowes home stores.
Then I had one great operational cool flap.
The wood is typical VQ, nice enginering but Vietnam ply and Balsa that has some pitfalls in quality and overall durability.
I also left the retracts alone but will make a scale mod on the larger version that I also own.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools