Sep 10, 2004, 09:17 AM
Thread OP

Any DL50 build threads?

i am somewhat hooked on this dlg aspect of modeling. i am contemplating the next dlg. does anyone have any comments on the build so far? i am particularly interested in the varying techniques used to glass the wing.

thanks,
neal
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2004, 09:51 AM

DL50 build thread

Neal, I'm just waiting for my DL50 v2 kit to arrive so I can post a build thread. This will be my second DL50 so it might be difficult to build it completely stock

On the first DL I used the supplied FG and Minwax Polycrylic which is light and very easy to apply. I'm going to order several wing kits so I can see how a bagged epoxy/FG compares in weight and durability.
Sep 10, 2004, 10:01 AM
If you do bag one I think you should consider experimenting with the tapered unicarbon spar aproach instead of rods. Mr drella thinks This is more durable due to increase in gluable wetted area. I thinlk you could fill the existing spar slots with some filler (baloons whatever) and then sand in the shallow spar slots like on the supergee wing. plus the tapered carbon spar caps look cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Petersen
Neal, I'm just waiting for my DL50 v2 kit to arrive so I can post a build thread. This will be my second DL50 so it might be difficult to build it completely stock

On the first DL I used the supplied FG and Minwax Polycrylic which is light and very easy to apply. I'm going to order several wing kits so I can see how a bagged epoxy/FG compares in weight and durability.
Sep 10, 2004, 10:17 AM
I think that's a good idea. I have been reading the SuperGee II documentation for a quick education in composite techniques.

Now that we can buy wing cores we can experiment to our hearts content with various lay up schedules.

What I think is most important is that builders share information, weights, techniques, etc, so that we can compare results without duplication of work. Doug and Matthew seem open to improving the kit as we discover things which improve the species.
Sep 10, 2004, 11:30 AM
Yeah I think It was really great of the MM guys to make this stuff available. Another neat ide would be to take a set of cores, cut of the leading edge to use as a plug for molding a carbon d-tube and or try one of those hybrid foam balsa wings
Last edited by windsox; Sep 10, 2004 at 11:33 AM.
Mar 09, 2005, 12:58 AM
so whatever happened to the thread? i was looking for one and stumbled across this.
Mar 09, 2005, 08:13 AM
Here are the two big DL50 threads I know of. Lot's of mini-builds in those threads:

Part 1
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255979

Part 2
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324250

~Dan
Mar 09, 2005, 09:23 PM
wow......BIG
Mar 09, 2005, 11:16 PM
The Evil Twin
I just saw that someone else is useing dual carbon spars to make the wing strong. I'm experimenting with the use of both the two spars and CF tape on the DL 60. The prototype is ready and if this flu gives me a reprieve I'll test fly this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes and maybe even give you some pictures. I'm so sick of not fiying cause I've been so sick... is there a country song in there somewhere?
Matthew

PS, should I charge admission for the pictures?

I need to go back to bed now
Mar 09, 2005, 11:18 PM
lol,

YOU MUST BUY A PLANE FROM MM TO SEE THE PICTURES OF THE DL60....or give matt a nice fat "donation"
Mar 09, 2005, 11:41 PM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
When is the DL60 due out?
Mar 10, 2005, 03:23 AM
Blew out my flip flop
Neal,

I did a review of the DL-50 here...builds and flies GREAT:

https://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4542

Hope you are better Matt...is the 60 gonna be in prod by SEFF, and are you guys coming again?

Later,
David
Mar 10, 2005, 09:22 AM
The Evil Twin
It would be great if we can release the DL60 by SEFF, which we will be attending. I assume that I'll be better by then... why do I see two keyboards I front of me? I better get back into bed. ( As delirium sets in ) oh look, we've just doubled our stock... cool.
Matthew
Mar 10, 2005, 10:56 AM
Blew out my flip flop
MattMatt,

II thinkthink youyou needneed toto getget somesome restrest. II amam thinkingthinking ofof sellingselling mymy beatbeat upup oldold xp-3xp-3 toto getget aa 6060, cancan youyou talktalk aboutabout priceprice yetyet, oror emailemail somesome picspics toto meme atat gofli@aol.comgofli@aol.com? WeWe cancan taketake thatthat discussiondiscussion offlineoffline ifif youyou wantwant

LaterLater,
DavidDavid

PS:PS: FeelFeel betterbetter yetyet??
Mar 10, 2005, 12:22 PM
That had to be a nightmare to type! Amazingly easy to read though. Do you think that would mean I can tell my boss I must not be well and need to go home.

Doug

Quick Reply