Why only threads on Action Cams in this forum? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 11, 2016, 11:38 PM
Discussion

Why only threads on Action Cams in this forum?

I am following this forum for many years. Frankly speaking I am into AP/AV due to this forum only. I have found many life long helping friends from around the world. Thanks to all those helping hands.

I can see that majority of recent threads are related to Action Cams only. I personally do not use action cams. I believe in high resolution & going on higher cams. My interest is moving towards 4K colors & cinema cams. But I can find only discussion on Sony A6300 only. It will be better if advanced users post information about cams like GH4, 5D MKII, Red Epic etc.

Majority of users may be using action cams due to their popularity but a fraction of us are into higher cams & their experience will enhance knowledge of the community.

Just my thoughts.

MRG
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2016, 12:59 AM
it's funny i see this right at this moment. I joined this forum recently and clicked on this going down through the list and I thought I was going to see stuff on AV stuff like you are mentioning, higher end stuff.
I personally own a GH4,shoot in V-Log and trying to shoot a horror short film. I am getting into this hobby for one thing and that is to get a setup to get shots for films I want to release.
my first build which I'm working on now is a Xugong v2. I'm getting it setup and tested as proof of concept with my GoPro 4 Black before I sink 3-5k on a setup for my GH4.
Sep 12, 2016, 02:21 AM
It seems you aren't a real photographer, given you nickname here...
That could explain you have the luxury to dream about unreal resolutions that can exist in studio controlled conditions only, on tripod, never even handheld... using airborne no way !
When people worry so much about gear, this usually means lack of artistic inspiration
"Wow... what picture I missed because I didn't had THAT camera ..." sounds familiar ?
Meanwhile we start to see pictures more interesting taken with phone cels than with kilograms dinosaurs in extinction.
Sep 12, 2016, 03:45 AM
J'ai remis la purée
Quote:
Originally Posted by multirotorguy1
I am following this forum for many cinema cams. But I can find only discussion on Sony A6300 only. It will be better if advanced users post information about cams like GH4, 5D MKII, Red Epic etc.

Majority of users may be using action cams due to their popularity but a fraction of us are into higher cams & their experience will enhance knowledge of the community.

Just my thoughts.

MRG

No not just popularity, also costs are a factor. Only a fraction of pros can dream about getting a red into the air.
It is obviously a hobby based forum, there bound to be some pros around here but the majority is hobby.
Maybe the more dedicated pro video forum will have some multicopter sections because getting a red or even a gh4 in the air requires a big frame with even bigger costs.
Just think about it, only a year and a half ago dji launched the inspire that now with the m4/3 cam can do things we could only dream about two years ago. It is still a young area, hope you find what you're looking for.

Menno
Sep 12, 2016, 10:40 AM
Regurgitation Utensil.
one main factor in the increase in action cams over real photography equipment discussed here, has to be the rules and regs concerning weight and liability (and public fear) of larger RC craft.

Not too mention RCgroups is owned by HobbyKing, not B&H photo.
Sep 12, 2016, 11:58 AM
If the action cams shot 10bit 4:2:2 with around 14 to 16 stops of dynamic range at 4K resolution then the big guys would have a terrible mess on their hands. Until then, well, you get footage that is too compressed and cannot be graded worth anything to get a style applied to the footage so you can tell the story the way you intended. That's all it amounts to with high end cameras. I really would like a Red. They have a awesome flat picture profile. But it's way too expensive. Especially since most of the footage is going to be seen on sets that only support Rec.709 or DCI P3 at best in 99% of the cases.
Anyways I hope the action cam industry drives down that costs of the big guys
Sep 12, 2016, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonoved
If the action cams shot 10bit 4:2:2 with around 14 to 16 stops of dynamic range at 4K resolution...
The Gitup Git2 will give you 12bit 4:4:4 at 4K resolution for photos and of course you can also use that to create timelapse video.

Not so good for video, yes it is only Rec.709 and 4:2:0 but they are getting there and should be considered as serious photography equipment. Currently you can get good quality, you just need to get everything close to correct during recording instead of being able to make big changes later, the same situation as with professional cameras a few years ago!

If you want to record onboard footage from your racing quad then your 5D MKII is simply not feasible, an action cam is and the right action camera can do a decent job.

Quote:
I can see that majority of recent threads are related to Action Cams only. I personally do not use action cams. I believe in high resolution & going on higher cams. My interest is moving towards 4K colors & cinema cams. But I can find only discussion on Sony A6300 only. It will be better if advanced users post information about cams like GH4, 5D MKII, Red Epic etc.
Start a thread or two, you may be surprised at who turns up, but you may have to give them some time to find us in a google search.
Sep 12, 2016, 01:08 PM
I hope the new GH5 can shoot internal 10-bit 4:2:2 4K when it's released. I had to purchase a Atomos external recorder for my GH4. If they can accomplish that then they have a sale. It would be worth 1800-2200 for me not to have to deal with the extra equipment, weight. It seems no one knows yet exactly what's in it yet. With 8 bit 4:2:0 the greens and oranges are just too squishy.

theright action camera can do a decent job.

Yea I love my Hero 4 Black. It's an amazing camera provided you have the light.
Sep 17, 2016, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by multirotorguy1
Most multirotors and planes can easily carry an action cam. Even a 180 miniquad will have no problems. Large and heavy cameras are not as easy to deal with.

Action cams are cheap so it isn't that painful to lose one in a crash. A good consumer grade DSLR cost a few $k and professional gear is many times that range. The same is true for purpose built video cameras in the consumer and professional space.

None of my multirotors could carry my DSLR and I wouldn't willing to risk it anyway. I will stick to cheap action cams for my RC gear.
Sep 17, 2016, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_AU
Action cams are cheap so it isn't that painful to lose one in a crash.
Also, an action camera is so lightweight that it is quite likely to just bounce in the crash and not get seriously damaged while in the same crash a DSLR will destroyed beyond repair and its weight will cause serious extra damage to the aircraft.

Of course if you are flying purely for photography reasons then you shouldn't have to worry much about crashes, but I think for most people here photography comes 2nd to the enjoyment of flying.
Sep 17, 2016, 03:10 AM
Nobody wrote here about DSLRs, these are indeed dinosaurs even in terrestrial photography, and on the extinction course.
We are talking here about bigger than 1" sensor cameras, without any mechanical movement parts, in the smallest possible form factor.
Z-cam is the most obvious example, a mft sensor in a gopro case.
Nobody can go smaller with an IL system because the lens mount impose a minimal body size.
Sep 17, 2016, 03:57 PM
Been there done that, left it right there. For me there is no room left for lifting a 5dmk3/4, I even got asked by a guy to lift a DSLR with zoom lens. Cmon that's just plain stupid to lift a fullframe with heavy glasses for video.... I give you photo is a whole different dimension but I would say a rx100mk4 can do close to all at a fraction of weight thus costs. Even big octos are imho end of product life and just a risk to people and property. Dji systems are evolving too fast to justify time and cost in spending to build and tune a big rig when you can just fly a small copter much more convenient and cheaper. Z cam e1 was promising but failed hard at firmware and integration into a airborne workflow. For me there are only 2 sections left with custom multicolors. Endurance and miniaturisation, last time I flew my Sony alpha was 6 months ago and won't happen in the near future. To clarify the z cam fail, they did not team up with a gimbal company and did not offer a all in one solution with ssd raw recorder (x5r from dji but sht on inspire...). I like the modified gopro and it is amazing what you can tweak out of such a setup. This is a hobby forum, please treat it as a hobby forum.
Sep 17, 2016, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommal
This is a hobby forum, please treat it as a hobby forum.
I think their is room for both hobby and pro.

Currently action cams just dont give the detail people are requesting professionally.

Also some people are just more serious about their hobby ap. I think his comment is valid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Last edited by cbrk; Sep 17, 2016 at 09:57 PM.
Sep 17, 2016, 11:47 PM
I really like the weight of mirror-less mft cameras like the gh4 and some BM products or just mirror-less in general. DSLRs, I think are fast becoming old technology. FF mirror-less like the Sony a7s and a7s II are crazy good and really good for low light and the other has a large MP count. They are both amazing at what they do.
Sep 18, 2016, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrk
I think their is room for both hobby and pro.

Currently action cams just dont give the detail people are requesting professionally.

Also some people are just more serious about their hobby ap. I think his comment is valid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As stated I come from the pro side. I flew big copters with heavy cams (2 heavy lifter 5-10 kg auw) but I stopped right there as where I live the regulations got stricter due a surge in the wannabe pro sector. Irresponsible careless flying above ppl with big copters in and close cities is just stupid but done by so many pros. Just yesterday I saw a inspire1 in Dubrovnik old town and it was a very busy sat.... Also overloading systems and pushing it beyond the safe zone is the daily business. This destroys the hobby and there will be no joy left with over regulation which pushes the diy further away. Last I want are even more pros smacking together a big rig which is actually quiet simple with the right components, even with hardly any knowledge. Most of the things can be done with lighter smaller systems and minimal risk compared to the big rigs and even most ppl can't identify which video was shot with a gh4(imho best video system) and a Samsung s7 edge....

Quick Reply