Large foam cores - RC Groups
Feb 06, 2002, 07:48 PM

Large foam cores

Anyone know of a supplier who can cut large foam wing cores, 8 to 10 foot panels, preferably CNC-cut?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2002, 02:36 AM
Pacific Models

Lenght of panels

I can cut a 4 foot panels making a 8 foot wing or multiples ok. I don't think that anybody can cut more than 4 feet CNC.
What kind of wing are you looking for?
John
Feb 07, 2002, 03:00 AM
My requirements might make things tough, insofar as foam cores go. I'm looking to scratch-build a Paul-Bunyan-size flying-wing glider: 16 to 20 foot span, tapered planform, possible transitional airfoil and / or washout, need spar slots (parallel to span and off-angle) plus other cutouts, wing may be partially sheeted. Could probably live with joining 4-foot foam sections, although I haven't given that point much thought yet.
Feb 07, 2002, 02:37 PM
you could try http://www.flyingfoam.com
Feb 07, 2002, 08:12 PM
Flys with Thumbs
Dig up anyone who's built a Long-EZ, Vari-EZ, Quickie, Q2, Q200, or other all foam, full scale, person carrying, experimental aircraft. They build 16 to 30 foot wings from 4 foot long hotwired cores. There is a standard technique for joining that results in a strong light joint.

The brief description is:

1. A good butt joint of the foam, flat surfaces, no more than 1/16" gap anywhere.

2. A medium to dry slurry of microballons and epoxy in the joint, carefully portioned and applied so that it fills the joint but does not slop out any "edges".

There is a tiny bit more to it than described above, but that's the basics. Any set of plans and/or builders guide for a full scale "moldless composite" (i.e. Rutan style) aircraft will have all the details on how to join cores.