This thread is privately moderated by mike_kelly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 11, 2016, 10:47 AM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Discussion

Sony QX10 camera cybershot DSC-QX10 for AP

In the search for the lightest-highest quality camera for aerial video and stills I have searched high and low. One of the more interesting candidates was the Sony QX10. It is under 100grams and has a Sony "G" series lens. (This is compared to a Sony Nex5N which is 400grams with a fixed 16mm lens. ) It is a 18 megapixel camera that is essentially a Sony Nex without the extra weight and with a fixed zoom lens. So that makes it pretty attractive for AP. It is high quality and light weight. It has a nice remote smartphone app designed to be an add-on for a smartphone to improve it's camera capabilities. So it connects to the smart phone via wifi.

This is fine if it is attached to the smartphone but not so good if you are 1000ft away. This problem pretty much made the QX10 unusable.

But I have found a couple of solutions. The first is a product from VP systems of Sweden. It is a wifi interface for the Sony QX10, and other cameras, that connects via wifi and then translates that into signals you can control via your RC transmitter switches via PWM. It is called the Camremote V3 and it includes their Camremote trigger product and the wifi interface in the same small module. Here finally is a way to remotely control the Sony QX10. Unfortunately it does not get you live video out. It just controls the camera but you would have to use a tiny fpv camera to "see" what the QX10 sees for framing.

I just discovered another solution. The Xiaomi Mi wifi range extender. It is a wifi repeater but it unlike most it is very small and light weight. It is powered via a usb plug. You use a Xiaomi smartphone app to configure it to act as a repeater for the weak wifi signal of the Sony QX10. The repeater would go on the aircraft with the camera. Then instead of connecting to the Sony QX10, with the remote control Sony playmemories app on your smart phone, you connect instead to the Xiaomi repeater. With the Sony QX10 alone I can only connect 10ft away but with the repeater I quickly tested and was able to control the camera from over a 100ft away. I don't know yet what the maximum range will be but it will probably never be as far as typical 500w fpv using the Camremote solution but it is high res hd video for dirt cheap. It is worth testing further.

*** Since writing this article I have found a number of alternatives to the Xiaomi repeater some of which are lighter. ***

Last edited by mike_kelly; Nov 27, 2016 at 10:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2016, 08:05 AM
Another solution is here just for triggering it : http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...age=4#comments

You could also use python with a raspberry pi or aduino to control it like they do on QX1. https://github.com/Escadrone/Solo-Mapper
Feb 18, 2017, 05:40 PM
Can you list the repeaters that you have found. I have tried a couple and I can't get my phone or tablet to hook up.
Feb 18, 2017, 09:28 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Be aware that some repeaters only work with or without advanced security. So if you don't get the security protocol right it won't work. Also you have to be aware of the freq band your phone is using, if it is a dual band phone. All of those planets must align.
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test
Mar 19, 2017, 04:15 PM

Tried wifi+, but no success

Dear Mike,

I've tried a USB wifi repeater which I thought was more or less the same as the Xiaomi: "USB Power Supply WIFI Repeater Wi-fi Large Range 2.4G Extend Signal Amplifier FE". That connects to the QX-10, but the smartphone then gets no IP address when connecting to the camera via the WIFI+ extender.

Did you do anything special to configure the Xiaomi?

Thanks,
Peter
Mar 19, 2017, 09:52 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHolzwarth
Dear Mike,

I've tried a USB wifi repeater which I thought was more or less the same as the Xiaomi: "USB Power Supply WIFI Repeater Wi-fi Large Range 2.4G Extend Signal Amplifier FE". That connects to the QX-10, but the smartphone then gets no IP address when connecting to the camera via the WIFI+ extender.

Did you do anything special to configure the Xiaomi?

Thanks,
Peter
Well the QX10 does not use IP. It is a direct connection device and therefore only uses MAC address so it does not need an IP because there will never be any routing. So are you saying that the smartphone app for the Sony works and connects to the QX10 through the WIFI extender but you can't also connect to the internet? Yes that is normal. If you are not connected to an access point with a router then you can only see the one device you are connected to. A wifi repeater is not an access point. It just repeats.
Apr 01, 2017, 05:06 AM

Xiaomi Mi and TP-Link TL-WA901ND work for me

I now got my Xiaomi Mi, and despite the scaring rights it requires to run the smartphone app, I installed and configured it. Works like a charm.

A second option I found is the TP-Link TL-WA901ND router. That is much larger, but it accepts 12V, and can be placed somewhere on the ground, with a 3S battery attached. The TP-Link works in both the "Bridge with AP" and the "WDS Repeater" modes, but the live video feed stutters, while it's smooth with the Xiaomi.

I tried a few other devices from TP-Link, D-Link, Netgear, HooToo, Tenda, but to no success.

Which other devices did you find working?

Thanks
Peter
Apr 01, 2017, 10:35 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
I have a number of different devices but I have never played with them because the Xiaomi works fine for me.

Quick Reply