Sep 11, 2016, 04:57 AM
Thread OP
Question

Advice UMX P-51 BL or UMX P-47 BL

Hi guys, I have flown the Champ and UMX T-28. The motor in my T-28 stopped working and flying this plane became a little boring. Now it's time for a new plane. I have a hard time with choosing between the UMX P-51 and P-47.

My preferences:

- Belly landings on grass.
- At least twice as fast as UMX T-28.
- Able to slow flight.
- More stable in wind.

Which of the two do you recommend? I think the P-51 would be too fast for me, but at the same time I don't want to get bored with the P-47 too quickly
Last edited by Jesper85; Sep 11, 2016 at 05:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2016, 05:23 AM
ɹǝʎןℲ ǝıssn∀
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper85 View Post
Hi guys, I have flown the Champ and UMX T-28. The motor in my T-28 stopped working and flying this plane became a little boring. Now it's time for a new plane. I have a hard time with choosing between the UMX P-51 and P-47.

My preferences:

- Belly landings on grass.
- At least twice as fast as UMX T-28.
- Able to slow flight.
- More stable in wind.

Which of the two do you recommend? I think the P-51 would be too fast for me, but at the same time I don't want to get bored with the P-47 too quickly
You might have more response in the Micro area!!
Here..........https://www.rcgroups.com/micro-ready-to-fly-420/

LURCH
Latest blog entry: Compulsory Reading!!
Sep 11, 2016, 11:07 AM
The P-51 is better streamlined and has a more powerful motor than the P-47. The P-51 can fly fairly slowly and it flies fast only when you push the throttle up. The AS3X keeps both airplanes stable in wind but the additional power in the P-51 motor allows it to be able to fly in higher wind than the P-47. Hint, get the P-51.
Sep 11, 2016, 02:07 PM
Ya I am in the market for a new UMX and I was wondering the same thing. I was leaning towards the P-51 so good to know its a good flyer.
Sep 11, 2016, 05:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
The AS3X keeps both airplanes stable in wind but the additional power in the P-51 motor allows it to be able to fly in higher wind than the P-47. Hint, get the P-51.
Also read that a lower kv motor, makes the motor stronger, is this true?
Sep 11, 2016, 09:12 PM
looking at the specs, they have the same engine but the P47 weights more and produces more drag with the radial engine
Sep 11, 2016, 09:54 PM
circle flyer
Quote:
Also read that a lower kv motor, makes the motor stronger, is this true?
I think "stronger" is used correctly, more torque is probably a better term. A motor of the same size with more torque can turn a larger or higher pitch prop. These smaller, lighter planes really don't need more torque and a higher RPM motor often is a better choice which gives more top end speed at the expense of less torque.
Sep 17, 2016, 04:10 PM
Thread OP
Which of these two is better in slow flight?
Sep 17, 2016, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulian1819 View Post
looking at the specs, they have the same engine but the P47 weights more and produces more drag with the radial engine
No, the motors are different.
The P-47 has the weaker 2500kv motor also used in the UMX Carbon Cub and the P-51 has the more powerful 3000kV motor also used in the UMX Yak and UMX Pitts.
Sep 18, 2016, 12:44 AM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
You cannot claim the 2500kv is weaker unless you know the actual current limit. All you know is that it can swing a higher diameter/pitch/number of blades prop than the 3000kv, assuming the same weight.
Power = current x voltage. You do not know what the current limits for the two motors are.
Sep 18, 2016, 08:50 AM
circle flyer
Quote:
Which of these two is better in slow flight?

More torque is favored over speed for slow flight, but there is not that much difference between the two motors. Use what you have.
Last edited by slow and low; Sep 18, 2016 at 09:02 AM.
Sep 18, 2016, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow and low View Post
More torque is favored over speed for slow flight, but there is not that much difference between the two motors. Use what you have.
There is a significant difference the 3000kv motor have more speed and more torque with the given props. Flight times may be shorter to the higher power consumption.
Oct 06, 2016, 05:18 AM
The Jug is on sale at hobbyzone.com for just $99.

Personally that is enough to finalize my decision. However I hate P51s so that wasn't an issue anyway.

99 bucks seems like a great deal for a BL plane with the HH track record of great customer service. Just think, it's the same price now as the standard brushed P51.

Buy the jug!!!

https://www.hobbyzone.com/specials/t.../EFLU3250.html
Oct 06, 2016, 04:02 PM
DFS#000178
I remember reading a while back that despite the radial housing the P-47 is less draggy than the P-51. And that's why it performed so well despite being so large.

IMO, of the two, the P-47 is way sexier. It flies great too. Especially on 3S. Flies fast, flies slow.
Oct 06, 2016, 08:08 PM
I always found P51 to be ugly.

The razor back 47 looks so sexy.

plus that silly belly scoop on the 51 could create issues on belly landing

Quick Reply