Oct 02, 2016, 12:27 AM
Thread OP
I made my decision based on parts availability, and never checked if it was still in production.
However, I don't feel this is a negative, because eBay has hundreds of listings for parts/complete trucks... Anyone who builds this will have no problem finding the parts needed.

I recently rebuilt a "Streetforce GP2", I machined a set of engine mounts to fit a 3.3 TRX nitro engine on it.
The car has been out of production for over 10 years... but you can still buy all of the parts for it.
So I don't see this as a real big deal.

What 1/18 scale truck would you suggest?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2016, 12:11 PM
head designer at TEAM-D DESIGN
Have you ever thought of printing your own gears? I've printed gears down to 48p, with good success . They don't last very long in pla, but in nylon or something like that they would be way stronger. Just a suggestion
Oct 02, 2016, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
3d printed Differentials don't last long... I've tried.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:612634
Oct 02, 2016, 10:03 PM
Suspended Account
time to redesign.. and use specs you can find other parts for and not use discontinued rcs that parts will be not available..poor design concept..rework..
Last edited by rcdog69; Oct 03, 2016 at 05:41 PM.
Oct 03, 2016, 04:47 PM
Thread OP
Alright, what 1/16 scale R/C cars would everyone recommend?
Oct 03, 2016, 05:04 PM
Thread OP
The car needs to be cheap... less then $100.
It also needs to have a rear mounted motor like the original RC-10.
1/24 scale will also work.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Oct 03, 2016, 05:42 PM
Suspended Account
whatever you think that is not solving your mistake thats on you..
Oct 03, 2016, 06:44 PM
I don't think that using discontinued parts is that big of a deal to have to go and redesign the whole thing. That is if you give direct links to the place/places that you can buy parts from.
Oct 03, 2016, 06:46 PM
I see that ebay and amazon have some of the parts.
Oct 03, 2016, 10:02 PM
Thread OP
And that's my plan, to supply direct links to ALL parts needed to finish this kit.

I just received the first two sets of Dogbones in the mail today... Unfortunately they don't fit.
I'm still waiting for the "Kyosho Mini Z" CV joints.
If I can't make them work, then Plan "B" is to shorten the stock Dogbones to 27mm.
I don't want to go that rout because it involves cutting and soldering... most people shy away from that kind of work.

For now, I'm going to concentrate on the front end, and the wheels until the CV joints arrive.
The tires will be printed off on a 3D systems "ProJet MJP 2500" that I have Access too.
I MAY offer the tires for-sale... depending on my negotiating skills with my boss... LOL.
If not, then I will list other other ways to get the tires printed... or you can try to print them yourself.

My main goal is to make it as easy as possible for anyone, and everyone, to make this car.
Oct 03, 2016, 10:37 PM
Suspended Account
parts that you can not find or anyone else is no way easy..
Oct 04, 2016, 02:05 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdog69
time to redesign.. and use specs you can find other parts for and not use discontinued rcs that parts will be not available..poor design concept..rework..
Quote:
whatever you think that is not solving your mistake thats on you..
Quote:
parts that you can not find or anyone else is no way easy..

Maybe it's me, but this seems more like pushing someone in a certain direction, than giving advice or suggestions. "Poor design concept" and "your mistake" doesn't really sound like constructive criticism... Maybe a drawback of typed words vs direct conversation, I don't know...

Anyway, it's impossible to design for eternity as each car model runs the risk of being discontinued, and parts supply eventually fading away, except maybe some Traxxas models, some using the same parts since the stone age, so it almost seems.

If a car is discontinued, but parts are still widely available at prices that are not inflated due to inbalance between supply and demand, I don't see any compelling reason to do a massive re-design, and maybe gain a few years in "life expectancy" for your design. In a few years it may be more cost effective to print your own CVT axles, the technology moves forward in a pace we can hardly imagine.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Oct 04, 2016 at 02:17 AM.
Oct 04, 2016, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloprofan
maybe it's me, but this seems more like pushing someone in a certain direction, than giving advice or suggestions. "poor design concept" and "your mistake" doesn't really sound like constructive criticism... Maybe a drawback of typed words vs direct conversation, i don't know...

Anyway, it's impossible to design for eternity as each car model runs the risk of being discontinued, and parts supply eventually fading away, except maybe some traxxas models, some using the same parts since the stone age, so it almost seems.

If a car is discontinued, but parts are still widely available at prices that are not inflated due to inbalance between supply and demand, i don't see any compelling reason to do a massive re-design, and maybe gain a few years in "life expectancy" for your design. In a few years it may be more cost effective to print your own cvt axles, the technology moves forward in a pace we can hardly imagine.
Totally! 1+
Oct 04, 2016, 09:33 PM
Thread OP
"parts that you can not find or anyone else is no way easy.. "

when I find the parts that fit, I will list the brand, part#, and a link... Then it will be easy.

The front end is almost done, and looks nice.
It's getting late for me, but I will post images tomorrow.

Have a goodnight!

Quick Reply