Sep 10, 2016, 04:55 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Lazy Ace by Chuck Cunningham

The result after two weeks building... the 76inch Lazy Ace... I did have 3 in the past all powered with an OS 120 Surpass but decided on the Saito 100 TI this time...was going to use this Fiberglass Specialties cowling but I wanted the engine well visible upright and that would not work out well with that cowl besides avoiding all the fuss of the engine beeing upside down... after all this is a non scale sunday flyer... I do make my own adaptions here and there... today I will build the tail...
Last edited by Reginald; Sep 10, 2016 at 12:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2016, 09:28 AM
Excellent work Reggy!

Bill
Sep 11, 2016, 01:42 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Bill... always did regret selling my last Lazy Ace many years ago... extremely pleasant to fly... the last one was painted in the Great Waldo Pepper style Curtiss Jenny look-alike. Not done much today apart from copying and cutting those rear stab ribs. But I am still hesitating about using that Ti100 or the larger Ti200...have both... that is 18cc versus 33cc but then weight of the 100 is 1,100kg and the 200 has a weight of 1,500kg both with alu engine mount... mounting was done for the 100 but that 200 does fit easily into the compartment albeit sticking out a bit more up front. I did read here and there on sites about the power of the 100 compared with other engines...still I have the feeling that this 33cc would be overkill, on the other hand the construction of the Cunningham plan is not really lightweight with all that hardwood, the empty fuse has a weight of 800 gram including all the fuelproofing etc, this biplane is a sturdy design but I guess this was Chuck's intention after all. I did have some corresponding with him and a picture of my last LAce was published in his RCM column...would have to look up the year..... what engine would you use when having the choice between the 100 and the 200 ?
Finish will be like this picture of a peanut kit that I found on the net...
Last edited by Reginald; Apr 23, 2018 at 01:37 AM.
Sep 11, 2016, 04:19 PM
I really don't feel that either of those engines are correct for that airframe Reg. Kind of long and they just won't sound correct.

Those engines are tough to get now as well.

Bill
Sep 11, 2016, 06:50 PM
I would think the 100 would be best. With that much weight up front you could mount the rudder plus elevator servo, receiver and battery pack in the tail. Then just motor and aileron servo extensions needed. Should sound great with the twin four stroke I would think. Jack
Sep 11, 2016, 08:28 PM
They have a fantastic sound but more suited for a Spit, Stang or Hurricane.

Hangar 9 P51 150 With Saito 200 Inline Twin Maiden Flight (3 min 22 sec)

Bill
Sep 11, 2016, 08:50 PM
I had a lazy ace done up like the jenny in waldo pepper, it flew great with a 91 thunder tiger fs, had plenty of power, but due to engine problems it sealed its fate, I'd really like another, but I would power it with a 20 cc gas
Sep 12, 2016, 01:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHiner
I would think the 100 would be best. With that much weight up front you could mount the rudder plus elevator servo, receiver and battery pack in the tail. Then just motor and aileron servo extensions needed. Should sound great with the twin four stroke I would think. Jack
Yes those were my toughts too Jack and I will leave things as they are with the 100... my previous Aces all did have an OS 120 Surpass up front and weight of that engine without mount is 1 kg so no difference there if maeby those OS's did have a tad more power...
Sep 12, 2016, 01:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590
I really don't feel that either of those engines are correct for that airframe Reg. Kind of long and they just won't sound correct.

Those engines are tough to get now as well.

Bill
Cannot agree here Bill... that engine does look just great in the airframe, I wanted to use that FS cowl at first but then felt it would be a shame to hide that engine, and frankly when looking at some video's the sound is ok and even surprised me since both pistons move in the same direction... as for rarity I do'nt really care... I may possibly sell that 200Ti
Sep 12, 2016, 01:53 AM
Thread OP
forgot to ask... does anyone know what kit that is of the peanut with American flag painting... would like to buy one
Sep 12, 2016, 06:28 AM
I think the engine with no cowl looks great. A shame to hide the metal work of art. Besides, no over heating with no cowl. Jack
Sep 12, 2016, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald
forgot to ask... does anyone know what kit that is of the peanut with American flag painting... would like to buy one
sterling made a peanut scale kit that could be it
Sep 12, 2016, 11:19 PM
The peanut model is a SPAD French WW1 fighter.
Easybuilt do a kit and there is a plan by Walt Mooney available.
Sep 13, 2016, 12:26 AM
This might be it Reginald, though not a peanut http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...roducts_id=696
Nice work on the Lazy Ace.
Sep 13, 2016, 03:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzlestik
This might be it Reginald, though not a peanut http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...roducts_id=696
Nice work on the Lazy Ace.
Yes that's the one ! I do have their Hall Bulldog. Thank you very much for finding it.

Quick Reply