Jul 01, 2018, 12:09 PM

Here's a VERY similar video of a Fokker E III "coming together"

Dear packardpursuit:

The PIPE Here again - here's a very similar "animated solid modeling" video to the Clerget "moteur rotatif" one...

Fokker E.III 3D Build Time Lapse (2 min 35 sec)

...of a Fokker E III Eindecker coming together!

For anyone wanting to do-up the best-known (AND most-produced subtype) of Fokker's pioneering fighter, getting a good look at this video CAN give one some good hints going towards a great "museum grade" flying OR static model of one!

Hope you find it informative!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2018, 12:30 PM

Howzabout those "house radiator-style" HAZET radiators for early German aircraft?

Dear packardpursuit:

The PIPE Here once more - and I've got some QUITE good detail info on the otherwise "mysterious house radiator"-style liquid cooling radiators used on the sides of the earliest German military aircraft, most often seen on the so-designated "B-series" unarmed German two-seat observation biplanes of 1914-15...and usually known by their name of the Hazet radiator !

There are a pair of photos and a SCALE DRAWING attached to the footer of this reply with some great detail info on 'em; and as they were "modular" radiators, capable of being assembled in varying formats of what seem to be at least six "element" sections per assembly, their "modularity" could be used to increase or decrease the assembly's cooling capability to match the need of a particular airframe/engine combination.

The scale drawing is entirely dimensioned in the metric system, AND includes scale drawings of the FLUID FITTINGS used with them...

,,,so one's even got just about all the details, if one wanted to, to actually to take a liquid coolant and cool-down a model engine fitted with, say, "clamped-on" cooling jackets, and using a compatible pump like a Perry fuel pumping unit (on the COLD side as per full-scale practice, of course!) to actually cool a model engine down in flight.

Here's hoping someone will also find this drawing useful for their project...I KNOW I will, when I can someday build a DFW B I "Fliegende Banane" two-seater in RC Giant Scale size!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Last edited by The PIPE; Jul 01, 2018 at 08:05 PM.
Jul 01, 2018, 01:04 PM
Thread OP
Pipe man,

Enjoyed E-III vid. Makes me want dimensions! Thanks much.
I have wondered why the E-III MG mounted off center? Now, I can appreciate that the installer apparently opted to leave centerline deck tube support, with main body of gun, sunken along side.

Radiator detail applicable to quite a few different German and Austrian WWI types. Thanks for that, too. Good show!
Jul 01, 2018, 03:35 PM

There's "also" the need for docs on the EARLY Spandau MG...the lMG 08!!

Dear Packardpursuit:

The PIPE Here yet AGAIN - and I've been saving THIS one for a "slack day", when it's simply TOO hot (about 90F/32C) to do ANYTHING outdoors...

...as thanks to one Dan Schexnayder (their original draftsperson) nearly six years ago, I managed to find a KNOCKOUT set online of JPEG drawings for the "original" style lMG 08 'Spandau" MGs as used on the production-line Fokker E I Eindecker through the early (D I and D II) Albatros single-seater fighters!!

Don't be "too upset" about there being no "measuring scale"on these drawings - it turns out that the mounting hardpoint locations between the lMG 08 and the later, VERY MUCH available-as-a-dummy MG kits, LMG 08/15 are an EXACT MATCH for each other, which can help in drafting out one's own set of drawings to fabricate a realistic-looking "dummy" example for their project.

The Windsock Datafile Special, the Fokker Eindecker Compendium Vol.1 from Josef Scott ALSO has quite nice drawings on this same MG, but as those ARE still readily available, I'm not quite "at liberty" to scan and attach those...

...but these ARE "here", so I hope they can be of help to someone!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
P.S. I AM working up my own DesignCAD drawings for the lMG 08 from these same raster-done ones...I may need those myself someday, already CAD-ded up for my own needs...!
Last edited by The PIPE; Jul 01, 2018 at 03:42 PM.
Aug 15, 2019, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
Racing pilots documentary:

Some great photos of the great racing pilots. Kind of disjointed but an EXCELLENT jumble of people and important historical aircraft. At 1:04 to 1:16 is a clear side view of Travel Air Mystery Ship, showing hardly any compound curvature in its "molded ply fuselage", And, lo and behold! at 3:27 to 3:32 overhead from rear quarter, shows views of Hall Springfield "Bulldog" racer, taking off. Which have finally convinced me Vern Clement's controversial understanding was/is indeed correct about that aircraft having swept wings!!!

These Daredevil Airplane Racers Were Like Hollywood Stars (11 min 48 sec)
Aug 15, 2019, 04:51 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Some nice pictures and drawings here : https://oldmachinepress.com/aircraft-engines/

Too much on one website to waste time posting here, but it's the ONLY site I have found with drawings of the R.E.P. fan engine. 7 cylinders in 180 degree configuration. A VERY ODD engine, but it was designed and built ( and flown ) by a Frenchman. So I guess, 'nuff said....
Interesting aircraft to look at, it would make a nice model at the right size. And you gotta LOVE that power output and top speed....almost a Merlin !!
Wiki here if anyone's interested : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REP_1
General characteristics

Crew: 1
Length: 6.85 m (22 ft 6 in)
Wingspan: 9.60 m (31 ft 6 in)
Wing area: 18.0 m2 (194 ft2)
Empty weight: 230 kg ( lb)
Gross weight: 507 kg ( lb)
Powerplant: 1 R.E.P. 7-cylinder two-row semi-radial piston engine, 22 kW (30 hp)

Performance

Maximum speed: 60 km/h (37 mph)
Aug 15, 2019, 10:34 PM
Thread OP
Some very odd and INTERESTING engines and aircraft histories! I greatly enjoyed the short XP-40Q story. Great photos. Thanks forthe heads up!!!
Jan 19, 2021, 12:18 AM
There was a time when you could go to one of the surplus stores on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena and buy plywood angle stock that was surplus from the Spruce Goose project. A friend of mine who designed and built sailplane (both man carrying and R/C) bought a quantitiy of it and used it in some of his aircraft. Neat looking stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit
This is fabric and wood structure from Hughes H-4 "Spruce Goose".

Quick Reply