Sep 09, 2016, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
Help!

O.K., I have a fiberglass hull, now what?

I bought a fiberglass hull, shrimp boat, now what? I've never built using a fiberglass hull so I'm not sure just what to do next. I have material and drive shafts and I've built a Midwest shrimp boat kit, but . . . what do I do to attach the deck to the hull etc., on this fiberglass hull?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2016, 01:46 PM
Pretty good example of what to do here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2719482

Sep 09, 2016, 02:08 PM
Thread OP
Tim,

Thanks, that was great! Now I have a fair idea about what to do.

Bob
Sep 09, 2016, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
tghsmith,

Oh man, more great information to read through! Thanks a lot!!!

Bob
Sep 09, 2016, 02:49 PM
RCTugger
Hey Bob...I sent you a PM...Dave
Sep 09, 2016, 03:07 PM
The photo's below, with the commentary, should help.
I have only built 2 wood hull's, in 40 years. Everything else, has had a fiberglass hull, and most are fiberglass and plastic, for the deck and house, also.
Sep 09, 2016, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblubaugh
Tim,

Thanks, that was great! Now I have a fair idea about what to do.

Bob
Welcome !

Longbike has a Huge resume of glass hull builds, he has posted them all here in detail and he shows his work.

Sep 09, 2016, 03:22 PM
Excellent !
Sep 09, 2016, 04:44 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
A few shots of how I do it. Pretty much the way the real thing is constructed.
A more complete log of cabin construction & other details at:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2231847
Sep 10, 2016, 11:46 PM
Hey Bob I had a similar experience with a 42" fiberglass PT hull I had laying around. The biggest problem was the flex of the hull. So I cut and epoxied plywood bulkheads to firm it up. Next I laid a flat plywood deck and fiberglassed it. The rest I am leaving to imagination. Right now she's a hint of a modernized Vietnam War era Swift Boat. But it will ultimately be my young daughter's RC boat, and she wants it to be a marine mammal rescue boat, so I will probably have to lose the guns in the end
Sep 11, 2016, 10:17 PM
Thread OP
Thank you everyone for your reaponses, I have read them and read each of the links left, good information, answered most of the questions I had about worining with the fiberglass hull I have. I was most concerned about correctly attaching the main deck to the hull, preping the fiberglass to attach the deck support strip and concern about the beam.

DF, your "marine mammal rescue boat" looks great; even they may need a gun from time to time to protect the endangered animal from a predator, shot across the bow sort of thing.

Bob

Quick Reply