New Products Flash Sale

RCGroups Coverage of the 2017 US F3K Team Selection

Mean Joe ran across the Team Selection event for the 2017 US F3K event at the AMA. Lets check out what he found!

Splash

The 2017 F3K US Team Selection Event

F3K is the FAI's radio control 1.5 meter max span hand launch glider event. Also known as DLG or Discus Launch Gliders. The weekend of September 1-3 they held the selection event for the 2017 US Team. At this years contest there were pilots from Florida, North Carolina, Maryland, California, Georgia, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, and Ohio.

The top 3 pilots will make up the US F3K team that competes at the 2017 F3K World Championship in Lviv, Ukraine next July.

At the world championships each nation can send a 3 pilot team and there will be individual awards for the top 3 pilots at the world champs and team awards for the top 3 nations of 3 pilot teams.

Whats Involved

The contest consisted of 26 rounds of F3K and this year 17 of the top F3K pilots in the country competed for one of the top 3 spots. To even qualify to enter this event a pilot needed to finish in the top 30% of a two day F3K contest held during the previous 2 years.

What Mean Joe got to experience on Friday was the pilots practicing a task called "all up last down". Where there is a buzzer and pilots have 3 seconds to launch. The objective is to be the last pilot to land but if after 3 minutes there are 1 or more pilots still flying it is then a "tie" and all other pilots scores are normalized off the winner.

I'm told that the best pilots pretty much always get to the 3 minute mark in an "all up last down" round. In an actual F3K contest the "all up last down" task will usually be flown, but also many other tasks will be flown. Typically a F3K task has a 10 minute window where scoring can occur and each task will have an objective. One task's objective might be to fly a 4, 3, 2, and 1 minute flight in that 10 minute window. Another might be to fly two 4 minute flights in that 10 minute window.

Results

Here are the results form this years selection event

The top three pilots that qualified for the 2016 US F3K team are

• Toby Herrera from New Mexico
  • Mike Maurer from Utah
  • George Morris from Arizona

Congrats guys and good luck!

Special Thanks

Mean Joe wants to send out a special thanks to Ryan Woebkenberg (rdwoebke) for explaining to me what was going down! Ryan captured some video of the event and his stuff can be found here:

F3K Team Selection Practice Day (1 min 35 sec)

All up last down practice f3k team selection (0 min 12 sec)

Thanks for all the info!

Photo Flood

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Sep 12, 2016 at 08:37 AM..
Old Sep 12, 2016, 09:02 AM
Find More Posts by ThomasLee
Very nice pics, thank you for sharing and for the coverage! Looks like there's something good to read during lunch break tomorrow!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vibe Assembly Instructions
Old Sep 12, 2016, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Panda Panda Panda Panda Panda
Joe you are quite the photographer. Those are some really cool photo sequences of launches.

Ryan
Old Sep 12, 2016, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by olgol
Oleg Golovidov
Thanks for the article and great pictures!!!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Follow me to sink!

Windup

Very informative pictures - especially those showing Toby at full windup, with tail-feathers almost touching the outstretched hand holding the transmitter. The Gorilla has muscles, but it's his peerless technique, flexibility, and timing that allow him to launch so high.

Pictures like these really motivate me to start stretching a bit more ...

RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by tom43004
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
I love the font choice in the title picture.

Old Sep 12, 2016, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by jfinch
hot air rises...
Nice pics!
Old Sep 12, 2016, 01:58 PM
Find More Posts by corsha99
launch height can't fix stupid
Very nice pics!! Had I known I or my plane was in so many of them, I would have hot dogged more.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by FlyingGorilla83
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla
Very cool!!!
Old Sep 12, 2016, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by elac2az
Overkill is underrated
BavarianCharles- "Pictures like these really motivate me to start stretching a bit more ..."

Ain't gonna help, Charles.

-Ed
Old Sep 12, 2016, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by elac2az
Overkill is underrated

To Joe Vermillion

It would be terrific if in the future you could get names and identify who the pilot is in the caption. OK, EVERYONE recognizes the Big "Gorilla", but there are other faces I don't have names for. Thanks!

-Ed
Old Sep 12, 2016, 06:47 PM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Panda Panda Panda Panda Panda
Quote:
Originally Posted by elac2az View Post
It would be terrific if in the future you could get names and identify who the pilot is in the caption.
Everyone's name is either Mike or John.

Ryan
Old Sep 12, 2016, 06:57 PM
Find More Posts by jfinch
hot air rises...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
Everyone's name is either Mike or John.

Ryan
...well anyone who matters.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by clintc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
...well anyone who matters.
That's right, Jon
Old Sep 12, 2016, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by dlgdude
Team Crunch Brothers
Quote:
Originally Posted by elac2az View Post
It would be terrific if in the future you could get names and identify who the pilot is in the caption. OK, EVERYONE recognizes the Big "Gorilla", but there are other faces I don't have names for. Thanks!

-Ed
Ok from the top - generally the most prominent in the picture;
Toby, Cory, Jon, Cory w/Frank, plane, plane, plane, plane, plane, plane, Cory, Cory, Cory, Cory w/Frank, Cory w/Frank, Cory w/Frank, Cory w/Frank, Clint, Oleg, Oleg, plane, planes, Oleg, Clint w/Mike M., numbers, video, video, Clint w/Mike M., Clint w/Mike M., Clint w/Mike M., Toby, Jon, plane, plane, plane w/blurry Greg, plane w/blurry Greg and blurry Skyer, Mike M., Cory, Cory, Toby, Toby, Toby, Toby w/Cory, Cory w/Oleg, Cory in front of Oleg, Cory w/Oleg, Cory w/Oleg, Cory launching after Oleg, Cory still has't let go of his plane, bigger picture of Cory still holding his plane (LeMon'ing?), Cory w/Oleg, Toby, Toby, Toby, Toby, Toby, Toby, plane, Mike M., Mike M., Clint w/Frank, Clint w/Frank, Clint w/Frank, Clint w/Frank, Toby w/Skyer and Frank, Jon, Toby, Toby, Toby, Toby, Toby.

That help?
Last edited by dlgdude; Sep 12, 2016 at 07:53 PM. Reason: blurry humans identified; Thanks Clint!