Mar 15, 2017, 06:24 AM
Waste my good wiskey?

BTW, just noticed something on that photo. The fets on the AIOF3 are labeled A08K and then 32 sideways. On the donor fets from the original flight controller, they are labeled A08K and then I think 33 on the side. No idea of its meaning or significance, but apparently, they are not identical.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2017, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Just wondering - how many hours should the brushed stocked motors last?
varies.. had 2 sets of stock motors, lasted 2.5 hours the second set 3 hours. 3 minute flights, no hard crashes, some minutes cool-off between flights.

Trying chaoli brand now but only flew 1 hour with them so far.
Mar 15, 2017, 08:42 AM
Firstly, thanks again to everyone who is contributing to this thread. The learning curve is really steep but all the info is in here. I've done up a quick video of where I'm at:

QX95 Apartment (1 min 53 sec)

Things I have learnt as a complete RC beginner flying mainly inside:

* The prop guards are really cheap and really useful for taking the impact of walls/chairs/doors/wife.
* Buy a lot of ladybird props anyway - you will chew them up even with a guard.
* For a beginner, tune the rates right down to make it less twitchy.
* Get a small tip for your soldering iron, and a magnifying lens. You'll need it. Copper solder wick is great stuff for cleaning up.
* You can solve the light leakage issues that cause the strange patterns in the video on the stock camera by covering the camera and VTX PCBs in electrical tape.
* Apply hot glue to the base of the antenna (where it joins the PCB). This will help prevent you snapping the PCB where the antenna joins.
* Apply hot glue to the antenna top where the spars come out. This will help prevent you breaking the top off.
* The EF-01 camera doesn't quite clear under the props with any sort of double sided tape under there despite saying it's compatible. On a related note, the VTX can easily be destroyed by a propeller.
* If you connect a camera with the wrong polarity, a small amount of magic smoke will come out and it will get a lot of interference from the motors. ity eroo
* The TX01 camera is a good replacement - cheaper than the standard and doesn't suffer from light leakage.
Mar 15, 2017, 08:58 AM
For a "complete RC beginner", thats pretty impressive flying!

As for you list, TX01 (and 03) can also suffer from light leakage. For some reason, eachine used a transparant glue or sealant on the camera lens assembly. Sometimes it will leak light, sometimes it wont.

And a few extra tips for your list:
- close toilet lids when flying near it (dont ask)
- dont leave buckets with 10 cm water in them straying in the house. You couldnt possibly land in them if you wanted to, but I just crashed in one, the day after I crashed in to a toilet bowl! Luckily this time, no damage. Maybe its time I plastidip my boards .
Mar 15, 2017, 11:16 AM
I've forgotten what gyro update frequency and pid loop frequency these can run on betaflight - I have the frsky version with the spracingf3evo fc. I think it's 4k for gyro and 4k for pid, but i just can't remember, considering this is for a brushed setup.

I also have the ex110 with an spracingf3 fc (not evo) - can this handle 4k for gyro and pid too?

Thank you for any help.
Mar 15, 2017, 11:19 AM

QX95 intergrated frsky Taranis Compatability

I've just purchased a new qx95 with intergrated frsky rx and was planning on getting a new x9d tx but as i'm in the UK i can only buy the EU version and if i've understood correctly the qx95 is a d8 rx how do you guys in the Uk get the thing to be compatible, sorry for what is probably a silly question.

Thanks in advance Rob.
Last edited by canicant; Mar 15, 2017 at 11:26 AM.
Mar 15, 2017, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canicant View Post
I've just purchased a new qx95 with intergrated frsky rx and was planning on getting a new x9d tx but as i'm in the UK i can only buy the EU version and if i've understood correctly the qx95 is a d8 rx how do you guys in the Uk get the thing to be compatible, sorry for what is probably a silly question.

Thanks in advance Rob.
i have the eu lbt xjt firmware on the internal module of my taranis. I also have the latest open companion and bootloader on my taranis.

i see d8, d16 and lr12 available.
Mar 15, 2017, 11:46 AM
Quote:

Thanks in advance Rob.
Not a silly question at all, the situation is mightily confusing. Just flash the international non EU version of opentx on your radio, and D8 will be available and should work fine.

On a side note, if you are going to buy D16 receivers inside the EU, they should also work. But if you plan to buy D16 receivers from outside the EU, or older ones, you will either need to flash the receivers to the EU firmware, or I believe, flash your radio module (not just opentx). But you should probably ask details about that in a taranis thread if it comes to that.

But yes, your EU taranis will work with the qx95, just need to flash non EU opentx to enable D8.
Mar 15, 2017, 12:18 PM
Here and there...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomNBoom View Post
Waste my good wiskey?

BTW, just noticed something on that photo. The fets on the AIOF3 are labeled A08K and then 32 sideways. On the donor fets from the original flight controller, they are labeled A08K and then I think 33 on the side. No idea of its meaning or significance, but apparently, they are not identical.
No, this is a date code or fab code...
Mar 15, 2017, 12:20 PM
Today I updated both of my brand new X7 radios (one was EU LBT and the other FCC).

I used the nightly build rc12 of opentx 2.2 via the companion program. I then updated the bootloader by copying the firmware file to the sd card on my radios and flashing again via the 'firmware' option in the taranis menu.

Finally, I copied the most recent EU XJT firmware from the frsky website to the sd card and 'flashed internal module' to update this too.

Now I have D8,D16 and LR12. The internal XJT module is definitely EU version. As far as opentx on the taranis, I didn't see an EU file, and didn't click on the eu tick box under the opentx companion settings either when I flashed that way at the beginning.

All works.

If I think back to my X9 radios (I have two of these too) -I remember following similar steps, but think I did select EU under the options in the opentx companion program. I will double check later.

edit: just to mention that my X9 Taranis radios (which I have updated as explained above) do work with my EU LBT version x4rsb receivers from my other quadcopters. Whether this means that I do have the EU version of opentx on my radio or not, I'm not sure -I'm just happy everything seems to work :-) !
Last edited by Rishi; Mar 15, 2017 at 01:16 PM.
Mar 15, 2017, 12:31 PM
Thanks Rishi and ZoomNBoom. I'll get one ordered and have already had a look at open tx companion just got to figure out the options when the time comes

Rob.
Mar 15, 2017, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Thanks Rishi and ZoomNBoom. I'll get one ordered and have already had a look at open tx companion just got to figure out the options when the time comes

Rob.
Welcome and yeah , just go for it!
Mar 15, 2017, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomNBoom View Post
BTW, I just saw this little frsky receiver on bg:
http://www.banggood.com/Mini-FrSky-8...ampaign=fd1000

Full range "1Km", telemetry, ULF antenna connector, and yet only 1.5g. Almost sounds too good to be true? I ordered one, along with the old style flight controller with integrated nothing. I'll lose the OSD, but at least I will be able to replace flight controllers without throwing away a perfectly fine receiver each time, I'll get a full range receiver and the square mosfets aerospacer says never fail.
Thanks for linking that receiver. I had not seen it before. It looks to have similar specs to the FuriousFPV LR1000. I hope it works well.
Mar 15, 2017, 01:46 PM
silently addicted..
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefarr View Post
Firstly, thanks again to everyone who is contributing to this thread. The learning curve is really steep but all the info is in here. I've done up a quick video of where I'm at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMtGg2VBJJs

Things I have learnt as a complete RC beginner flying mainly inside:

* The prop guards are really cheap and really useful for taking the impact of walls/chairs/doors/wife.
* Buy a lot of ladybird props anyway - you will chew them up even with a guard.
* For a beginner, tune the rates right down to make it less twitchy.
* Get a small tip for your soldering iron, and a magnifying lens. You'll need it. Copper solder wick is great stuff for cleaning up.
* You can solve the light leakage issues that cause the strange patterns in the video on the stock camera by covering the camera and VTX PCBs in electrical tape.
* Apply hot glue to the base of the antenna (where it joins the PCB). This will help prevent you snapping the PCB where the antenna joins.
* Apply hot glue to the antenna top where the spars come out. This will help prevent you breaking the top off.
* The EF-01 camera doesn't quite clear under the props with any sort of double sided tape under there despite saying it's compatible. On a related note, the VTX can easily be destroyed by a propeller.
* If you connect a camera with the wrong polarity, a small amount of magic smoke will come out and it will get a lot of interference from the motors. ity eroo
* The TX01 camera is a good replacement - cheaper than the standard and doesn't suffer from light leakage.
Good job seefarr and welcome.
Throttle management is one of the first tricky things to tackle and you have it covered as far as I can see in your video.
Keep up the good work.
Mar 15, 2017, 02:06 PM
Quote:

Thanks in advance Rob.
My advice...

get a non-EU Taranis - far less messing around with EU/non-EU firmwares on both the radio and the receivers. And, you'll be able to get it cheaper from China than the EU versions you will get in the UK.

I live in the UK, and I just got a non-EU Taranis X9D+ from Banggood (with an extra 8% off with code toysho). I love it . I have it already modded with a 4in1 multimodule, so it has now replaced my Devo7E as my main radio.

If you are concerned about delivery times from China, I selected Priority Direct Mail, which was no extra charge for that item, and I had it within 7 days. Although, admittedly I may have just gotten lucky with that shipment, priority mail usually takes 10-14 days for me.
Last edited by Temporal Flux; Mar 15, 2017 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply