May 21, 2020, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTbond02
Maybe the batteries are the issue but all my 1S batteries are less than a year old. I have three Crack 1S 220mah 30-45c Lipo's that I use exclusively in the Yak 3D and I think they cannot be more than 6 mths old.
Once the weather improves I’ll try some new batteries, did an internal resistance test and the ones having a problem had the same reading as brand new ones
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2020, 06:00 PM
I would suspect batteries as well. I have batteries that are not that old, and perform well in my 1s fleet (2 Stearmans, P-51, Sport Cub S) but don't last as long in my Yak 54. With a strong 150 mAh battery I set my timer for 4 minutes. That leaves 20% or more at the end of the 4 minutes. Only my strongest batteries make it to the full 4 minutes. The ones that don't will still go strongly to 5 minutes in my Stearmans. The Yak 54 simply puts a higher demand on the batteries, and they sag much more under load than in an airplane that doesn't. I simply need to order a few new batteries for my Yak. Last year I was in this same situation and bought 5 new batteries. They all worked great going to the 4 minute timer. Same batteries today make it to about 3 minutes.

That has been my experience. I hope it helps!
May 22, 2020, 06:10 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Was getting interested in flying this again and charged up a battery to do a radio bind. Then did a test motor run and it went to LVC in 10 seconds!!! I'll check my other batteries, but they're all more than a year old, so I don't hold out much hope. I have some never-used old ones. Maybe they survived.

I ordered a pack of Tattu 220 45C batts. Afraid they may be a little heavy, but I saw people on the thread were happy with 220mah.
May 23, 2020, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
Was getting interested in flying this again and charged up a battery to do a radio bind. Then did a test motor run and it went to LVC in 10 seconds!!! I'll check my other batteries, but they're all more than a year old, so I don't hold out much hope. I have some never-used old ones. Maybe they survived.

I ordered a pack of Tattu 220 45C batts. Afraid they may be a little heavy, but I saw people on the thread were happy with 220mah.
I have been pleased with the Crack 220mah batteries. The Yak flies ok for my skill level even though it has also to contend with weight of the CF skeleton I had to add to help the Yak survive outdoors.

If the Yak is as sensitive to battery condition as has been suggested there comes reason to question whether to stop throwing money at the project. I don't know that buying a new stable of batteries is going to change amything long term. Let us know what happens.
Last edited by DTbond02; May 23, 2020 at 08:58 AM. Reason: clarity
May 23, 2020, 09:12 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Last nite I fab'd an adapter to hook 1S to an ISDT charger, charged all my dozen or so old batteries and then used the charger to discharge. Any battery that didn't yield 150mah got trashed.

Crazepony LiHV did the best. Only one of those got tossed -- because it got real hot during charge.

Hyperion LiHV did well. Less mah than the Craze's but they weigh a gram less, so fair enough.

All the MyLipos died. All the NanoTechs died. All the NitroNectars died.
May 27, 2020, 10:26 AM
Did internal resistance tests yesterday and found two batteries whose IR readings were 50-100% higher than the others, so those got discharged and tossed. Flew this morning and had sufficient power to climb out of a hover. First flight ended after 5 minutes when the motor began pulsing even though the battery read 3.84 volts left. Early in the 2nd flight a flock of small birds took interest and started flying extremely close, but not quite attacking it. One ended up hitting the plane and took some rear stab damage so no more flights w/ it today.

The flock of birds left when I broke out the UMX Sbach which could easily outdistance them.
May 27, 2020, 11:03 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Mine flies just okay on the good surviving used batteries but any climb out of hover would be marginal.

And the rudder flutters a bit in normal flight. This in standard AS3X mode which is the only mode I use. I guess it's not hurting anything, but I find it irritating. Since I can't decrease the gain I may see if some sort of damper will stabilize it. I had to put an o-ring damper on one of my 3D foamies and it worked very well. But these servos are different, so I'll need another approach.
May 27, 2020, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
Mine flies just okay on the good surviving used batteries but any climb out of hover would be marginal.

And the rudder flutters a bit in normal flight. This in standard AS3X mode which is the only mode I use. I guess it's not hurting anything, but I find it irritating. Since I can't decrease the gain I may see if some sort of damper will stabilize it. I had to put an o-ring damper on one of my 3D foamies and it worked very well. But these servos are different, so I'll need another approach.
Definitely can't climb like the UMX Sbach or Viking, both of those have loads of vertical power in reserve. I still really like the yak for what it is, since I got it my 3D and flying inverted skills have increased exponentially. A flight simulator is useful but limited compared to actually flight time, I had both the Sbach and Viking this morning comfortably hovering and doing high alphas 5-6 inches off the ground this morning. Used to be I'd be on pins and needles doing that or flying inverted a few feet off the ground. Now it's a breeze.
Aug 19, 2020, 01:37 PM
Newly back into the hobby, completely new to electrics...so anyone have an idea how long these motors should last? I have no clue. 60 flights now and today things seemed weak, with any battery.
Aug 19, 2020, 01:57 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
It varies. 60 flights could easily do one in. Some get more, some less. Does "any battery" include a new, quality battery?

Check Micro Motor Warehouse for an assortment of motors. Assuming they're still around. I haven't bought in a couple years.
Aug 19, 2020, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattSpurgin
Newly back into the hobby, completely new to electrics...so anyone have an idea how long these motors should last? I have no clue. 60 flights now and today things seemed weak, with any battery.
I always let my brushed motors cool for about 5 minutes in between flights. I just changed my motor only to find my problem was weak batteries. I had 268 flights on that motor! Wish I had bought the batteries first because I'd still be flying on that motor. I had 229 flights on my umx Stearman before replacing.
Aug 20, 2020, 03:50 PM
Thanks guys. Good info. Sorry, any battery was any of the 7 I use for this plane. Eflites 150 and Venom180, meaning it didn't seem to be battery. They are all new with this plane, so 60 divided by 7, don't think all 7 have gone bad in a couple of months. It was prolly just me, not enough coffee...
Jun 30, 2021, 03:09 PM

Motor

Can I get a list of possible motor upgrades burshless and not?
Nov 27, 2021, 12:39 PM
Tried 'Search'???
I got one of these, arrived yesterday at around 4PM and at 7 I was in the (small) Gym for our weekly indoor meet.

I had the AS3Xtra years ago but he motor died after 4 - 5 flights with no replacement available so I returned it and got a refund.

Fast forward to yesterday and this 'lil 'un rocked it. Capable of doing anything that I can in our 28 X 15 (1 basketball court) Gym at a slow walking pace, fun.

Smacked her into the floor twice and had a couple of 'wall-strikes' but she survived without any real damage. The only thing that I did have is that the covering slowly peeled off, starting at the corners of the elevator and then the outer corners of the ailerons so control at teh end was very poor and although she was still flying I would have had oto stop after 3 flights even if I had more Batts (which I don't).

I smeared some UHU Por on to the foam where the foil had lifted and once it was very nearly dry I pressed the foil back down and it stuck really well. Couple of small thin Blenderm stripes on each end and I have bomb proof hinges that will outlast the model.

Fun.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Nov 27, 2021, 05:38 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
It is still great fun, glad you like it Paul. I took mine to a indoor fly in recently and all 6 batteries lasted about 5 secs each, literally. Next time, I'll just use the 200s that I have. It will be a touch heavier but the 200's still work OK so perhaps I will get to enjoy it again for the first time since March 2020.

Quick Reply