Mar 28, 2017, 07:35 AM
I'll add to that as well
I'm up to 8 flights now, more if you count the multiple 'landings', and it is still behaving well and taking the inevitable knocks from clumsy beginner flyer without any problems.
It is very small and being white disappears against any cloud or mist even relatively close in (which doesn't help an old man with his orientation).
As a result I can confirm that it loses bind at about 100m (It's virtually a dot by then though so it is probably enough.)
I was in stab 2 mode (middle position) and had it trimmed slightly to turn left so it spiralled down relatively gently and though it bumped a bit, it had no damage (longish grass) and has flown fine since.
The stabilisation continued to work and was still working when I retrieved it. I'm not sure if that is a good thing though
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2017, 01:31 PM
That battery plug is a popular quadcopter battery plug. I shouldn't be hard to find a battery that fits. Here's a 150mAH, and here's a 180mAH, but there are many out there, so shop around.

Rick
Mar 29, 2017, 01:20 PM
There are plenty of the right power and connection. The dimensions are the problem The original is 42 x 11x 5mm and fits quite snugly into the battery bay.
That battery bay is of fairly thin walled foam and setting a wider battery into it will be a problem. Fitting it externally would be possible but slightly precarious given the position and the need to retain CoG. It can definitely be done * but getting an efllite/mcx of very similar dimensions would be better if the connection problem can be sorted.

* It will actually carry the 380ma battery from my ancient Hubsan 107 but the weight is a problem as is getting it to stay attached to the plane
Mar 29, 2017, 01:47 PM
OK, now I understand the problem. If you can't solder up an adaptor, I could make one for you.

Rick
Mar 29, 2017, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the offer (genuinely)
But I think that I can still manage that myself
I had just vaguely hoped that someone was producing them ready-made.
Mar 30, 2017, 06:28 AM
No sense in opening a new thread if there is one already

My full written RCG Blog review with lots of pictures and details about the V761-1. You will also find there a discount coupon to shave a few more bucks of it's price.

Here is my review (part 1 only - for now) with unboxing, details, component inspection, transmitter functions overview and gyro stabilization demo showcase.

Volantex RC V761-1 Trainstar 400mm Wingspan 6-axis Gyro Airplane - part 1 (10 min 14 sec)
Mar 30, 2017, 10:50 AM
I've found it easier to connect the battery first and then secure it in place.
I'm not the first to try this next idea (I've seen it on youtube and hardly believed my eyes) but if you have a small breeze you can actually launch this plane inverted and if it is in stab mode it usually recovers.... (2 times out of three for me)

I really didn't think it was possible without ailerons
Please note I am not advising doing so and anyone that does try it does so at their own risk but it really made me laugh

I haven't got video but this at 5:44 does
Mar 30, 2017, 12:29 PM
This Little plane is growing on me.
Youtube is a big part of that!

Tommy
Apr 07, 2017, 03:35 AM
Flight test, I really like it, but in all fairness I also need to say the cons about it:

- needs a lot of space to take a turn (in stabilized mode)
- the motor shaft is kind of easy to bend (and bend back), you will see in the video
- a bit underpowered

The pros:
- long flight time, 10-15 minutes easy
- easy to fly on stabilized
- relatively slow and it won't stall easy
- good crash resistance (frame, wings, etc.)
- flies well outside even with a bit of wind.

Volantex RC V761-1 Trainstar 400mm Wingspan 6-axis Gyro Airplane - part 2 (4 min 33 sec)
Apr 07, 2017, 12:56 PM
It does turn wide especially in the fully stabilised mode. I tried adding rudder authority by moving the servo rod outwards on the rudder horn which does work (after a fashion) but makes it twitchy in the middle stab mode and very twitchy in the unstabilised mode.
I'm currently playing with throttle and elevator control to almost stall turn but I'm not very consistent yet. It does turn tighter in the mid stab mode though which I mostly use

I think I've fixed the spare battery problem (or rather a suggestion from a non-flying friend did).
Creating a packing piece for the battery bay with velcro strips (backed up with rubber bands) makes a nice size flattish space on the bottom of the plane for batteries up to 250ma.
There's a bit of loss aerodynamically but it seems to cope

So far I haven't bent the prop or the drive rod, though I have made and fixed some minor dents in the wings and fuselage.
Last edited by Didactylos4; Apr 07, 2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Apr 10, 2017, 07:47 AM
Because I said I would, I will give you all the chance to mock both my flying and my inability to speak coherently whilst attempting to fly
My only defence is that I am not a reviewer, am new to flying planes and simply not used to posting videos

1st filmed flight (11 min 55 sec)

I don't even know if this link will work
Apr 10, 2017, 09:20 AM
Nicely done! I've been flying R/C since 1969, and I still haven't quite mastered flying and talking at the same time. Were the loops performed with the gyros on? I know you said you weren't going to turn them off, but I thought even in intermediate, the gyros would prevent inverted flight.

Rick
Apr 10, 2017, 10:13 AM
The loops (such as they were) were performed in the 2nd level of stabilisation (the middle switch position) which gives you more control of the elevator
And (on mine) reduces the mixing of rudder elevator giving you the ability to turn slightly tighter if you don't mind losing a bit of altitude
It also allows you a stall turn (not a roll turn as described it in the video )

It's very good in that mode if you feel a little more ambitious but not ambitious enough to fly completely unstabilised.
As such the three modes allow quite a good phased transition for a beginner like me between levels of confidence

When the wind here dies down to below 15mph again I may give it another go just to prove I can fly in all 3 modes (probably)
And also to show the inverted launch trick
I may need to find a place or a time with fewer friends walking their dogs
Apr 10, 2017, 12:00 PM
That phased transition you speak of is why it's perfect for teaching the neighborhood munchkins. ...that and the crash survivability. It sounds like that second position would make it fun but manageable in breezy, turbulent conditions.

Rick
Apr 10, 2017, 12:09 PM
@Didactylos4

Nice video and nice flight

Quick Reply