Apr 10, 2017, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomon
That phased transition you speak of is why it's perfect for teaching the neighborhood munchkins. ...that and the crash survivability. It sounds like that second position would make it fun but manageable in breezy, turbulent conditions.

Rick
As others point out it isn't indestructible but the lack of weight and thus momentum means that it does survive pretty well. You've seen my landings and so far it has survived them
I did manage to fly it into a hawthorn bush last week but even that only resulted in dents (hot water fixed them)

Breezy turbulent conditions only up to a limit. Windspeeds of 10mph (4.5mps) do start it flying backwards so 9mph is about the absolute limit and even then I found diving down to shelter advisable. Gusts of those speeds are survivable in intermediate stability mode though I confess I found them difficult with my lack of skills. It is definitely a fair weather machine.

Thanks for the supportive comments from everyone on the video.
I hope I have the opportunity to get better.... I'll try anyway
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2017, 09:45 AM
This was my first rc plane. It didn't take more than a few flights before I bent the shaft (verticle nose down from 6 feet at high speed into a gravel path). I haven't been able to properly straighten it....The big negative about this plane is there are no dedicated spare parts...it makes sense to spend a little more and get something like a cub champ or sport cub s as first plane.

Finding spare batteries for this is also a bit of a pain....though by reading various threads I was finally able to find a compatible battery.

It was fun to fly while it lasted....

I paid about $50 for this on amazon around xmas time. The price there is now $75 and it is "listed" as $129. LOL! You can still get this on other sites for about $50.

btw, I didn't have the red nose cap/hub/cowl on at the time of the crash. That might have made a difference.
Last edited by superdow; Apr 12, 2017 at 09:51 AM.
Apr 14, 2017, 04:23 AM
I've managed to break something too which may or may not be something to consider for other flyers, including young or old beginners.
Trying to do two things at once I managed to drop the Tx onto soft grass which promptly sheered off the throttle stick very close to the base. If you look, the taper there is excessive..
My own fault, I should have been more careful and, as there is a plastic lanyard fitting, I know now that I should have been using one.
I've managed to bodge together a solution that gives me a mismatched replacement and it works OK but I thought worthy of mention.
Apr 14, 2017, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdow
This was my first rc plane. It didn't take more than a few flights before I bent the shaft (verticle nose down from 6 feet at high speed into a gravel path). I haven't been able to properly straighten it....The big negative about this plane is there are no dedicated spare parts...it makes sense to spend a little more and get something like a cub champ or sport cub s as first plane.
There are suitable gearboxes available that could be adapted. Here are some that could be used. According to the Banggood site, you need an 8mm motor, so the "A" option (820 motor) is the one you need. Use caution opening up the fuselage. If you need help with the gearbox swap, we're here to help.

If you're ready to move on, or you're just not interested in opening up the plane to make repairs, please don't throw away a broken plane. You could recover some of the purchase price by selling it here on the forum. There are plenty of guys like me who would love to make the needed repairs.

Rick
Apr 20, 2017, 07:35 AM
Too windy here to fly so just for fun I did a "walking range test" ( Friend held the plane and I walked away with the tx).
Now I know that these aren't entirely accurate but given it was done amongst housing with lots of wifi about I was pleasantly surprised to find that the controls operated out to 130m.
Given I couldn't even see the plane at that distance and correct functioning was indicated by hand signals that's more than enough imo.
This test was done in non-stabilised mode with the aircraft at 1m above ground.

Another good point to note though is that upon switching off the tx at that range the stabilisation kicked in and that may lead to the plane gliding for quite a way in a flying scenario. This is one of the reasons I have the plane mechanically trimmed to turn slightly left . 3 clicks of tx trim cures that before flying but TX trim seems to be over-ridden when out of signal.

NB this is the plane I have and, as reviews by others have noted, there is some variation in individual models
Apr 21, 2017, 03:34 PM
I am assuming this plane comes with a Mode 2 transmitter, but can someone confirm? Is it perhaps mode switchable to Mode 1, or has anyone been able to convert it to Mode 1?

Alternatively, does it use any of the well known protocols such as Flysky, which would enable me to fly it in Mode 1 with my Turnigy 9X?

In an earlier thread, someone noted that there appeared to be provision for control horns for ailerons. Has anyone opened it up to see what sort of electronics are in it? I'd assume at that weight that it probably has an "all in one" brick with two servos and an ESC on it, but I'd be interested to know whether there is a plug for a third servo, and whether the supplied TX is a three channel or four channel one.

Some of you are probably guessing that I'm interested in what possibilities there might be for repurposing the electronics, and yes, you'd be right. At present my favourite brick is the WLToys F929/F939 one, but I'm always looking for other contenders.
Last edited by 1auriec; Apr 21, 2017 at 03:40 PM.
Apr 24, 2017, 06:47 AM
As far as I know the TX only comes as mode 2. Could be converted having had a quick peer inside

As to protocols I haven't tried as, for what it is, the system it comes with seems adequate.

As for the possibilities of making it 4 channel, some early TXs came with dual switches on top (though mine came with only one on the right) and whilst I haven't yet peered inside the plane (I'll do that when I break it) there are definitely mounting points on the wings and ailerons for servos/horns and gaps under the wings for cabling, possibly rods
I hope the uploaded pics help
Apr 24, 2017, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didactylos4
there are definitely mounting points on the wings and ailerons for servos/horns and gaps under the wings for cabling, possibly rods
Yes, exactly this plane could be easily updated to 4ch, would be awesome, but I don't know if it's worth the effort.
Apr 24, 2017, 10:31 AM
I would have added pictures of the inside of the Tx but having struggled to get it apart and back together once, I've vowed never to try it again unless I have to. Those who have one should look at how the front/back join runs right around the carrying handle. Add to that the fact that the blank/plug for the second top switch is a loose interference fit and it has the propensity to reduce even experienced dismantlers to swearing.

May 09, 2017, 07:43 AM
Well I too have managed to bend the prop shaft but it has been bent back to very nearly true Way less than a millimetre out at prop-tip length.
If still flies OK but I'll have to replace the motor/gear unit at some point. There's no binding or slackening on the drive cogs at this point.

My own fault. I was trying low level flying in about a 5mph breeze and got caught out by a BIG gust. It stalled and nosed in quickly
It happens especially to beginners like me.
I was too keen to fly and didn't exercise the appropriate caution. It's been really windy here for weeks
I suspect that when I try my next 3 channel bird I'll get a pusher

Typically just afterwards the wind died to nearly zero but that did allow me to test the repair.
May 09, 2017, 07:56 AM
I have "upgraded" mine Just got a larger V767-1 Firstar, no gyro on this one, fast 4000KV brushless motor, 2S LiPo, I shouldn't have flown it before thunderstorm in crazy wind, I can say that it was really though

VolantexRC V767-1 Firstar 758mm Wingspan Power Glider Review - Part1 (11 min 25 sec)
May 26, 2017, 04:36 AM
Well mine does still fly but given the local weather I'm not getting much stick time. As a result I have purchased a second spare battery so I can maximise the weather windows
It's a Giant Power 180Ma 20C which I got off Amazon (It was part of a larger order) but is available slightly cheaper elsewhere and has the Losi connector for convenience.
It's slightly too fat to fit in the battery bay but a slim foam insert and velcro fixes that (or the rubber band solution suggested elsewhere) You could even open the bay width slightly as it is pretty close to fitting as is
It's really tiny though so doesn't affect the CG or the ability to fly which other larger batteries can do ime

It's only had a couple of flights though and whilst, as new, it gives equivalent performance to the original I'm not yet going to recommend it.
I'll only do that after a dozen flights or so
Youtube indicates that this plane is quite popular in spite of it's flaws
May 26, 2017, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didactylos4
Youtube indicates that this plane is quite popular in spite of it's flaws
Yes it is popular due to the gyro option, I really like mine, but the weather is driving me crazy as well, every weekend when I have free time we have thunderstorms, rain and so on.
Jun 21, 2017, 01:35 PM

followup on volantex mini trainstair

I previously reported that I had bent the shaft and complained that I couldn't fix it. Upon further investigation the shaft wasn't bent...the entire motor frame had shifted a bit from the crash. I cut an access hole to the motor and realigned it and was back flying. Unfortunately, at some point later on I bent the prop and didn't realize that it simply screwed off (my plane didn't come with instructions for some reason and it was my first rc plane so I didn't realize that most props are screwed on). I tried to pull it off and eventually simply "melted it off" with a hot butter knife. In the course of that operation I melted a small part of the wing. It looked like it still might fly. So I took it out this morning and away she went, up up up, and out of control. It circled above some nearby thick woods and came down somewhere, undoubtedly stuck in a tree. At any rate I may buy a new one. For now I'm going to concentrate on my RTF "Spirt of St. Louis" by Rage that just arrived today. Very nice plane for $99. About that size of a champ. 22 " wingspan. There's another thread on this plane.
Jun 23, 2017, 06:20 PM
Mine dislodged the geared shaft but not the motor mount.
And it was bent, not excessively though and was easily fixed. Not perfectly but close enough .Still not getting much stick time though as the winds here have been too strong almost permanently.
I too am looking to move on now (and started a thread on here looking for advice).
But I'm keeping the little plane because the problems I've had with it have been purely pilot error and it's still fun to fly when I get the chance.

Quick Reply