Nov 05, 2016, 08:33 PM
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2016, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
Another one was just pulled, g'aahhhh!!!!! I can't wait to get them flying!!!!!
Need to finish a Vibe for a customer first and will start building my prototype Vibe 2. Boys at the SCSA Open will be free to try it out (after the contest maybe, hahaha).

Thomas
Nov 05, 2016, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
I still think a solid color for the graphics looks a bit better... what do you guys think?
Nov 06, 2016, 12:49 PM
I prefer the old honeycomb scheme, it looks awesome and it is very visible in the sky.
Nov 06, 2016, 05:38 PM
Only change to the old honeycomb design I would make would to add a 5-10mm stripe of paint along the leading edge. This would help visibility when flying back with a dark colored background.
Last edited by Roy_N; Nov 06, 2016 at 09:01 PM.
Nov 06, 2016, 06:13 PM
Charles Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by eitanro
I prefer the old honeycomb scheme, it looks awesome and it is very visible in the sky.
+1

Best DLG paint scheme ever!

Nov 06, 2016, 07:12 PM
Thread OP
Hey guys, honeycomb is certainly my fave as well. Has some problems with too many rejects a while ago so the factory didn't want to make that anymore, will need to see if I can convince them again.
Nov 06, 2016, 07:31 PM
honestly the one in the picture is a bit "meh" doesn't pop - looks like an afterthought or someone didn't plan the sizing correctly.

maybe trying to the too "cool"

the honeycomb was indeed awesome visually - especially at distance
Nov 06, 2016, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
sizing and placement is very intentional for ease of masking and removal of stencils. but I do agree the gradient looks sloppy, which was my concern when i first saw it. doesn't pop either as you said. in solid it looks quite good (we've tried this on the aerial 1.5), but i'm trying to find a way to incorporate the honeycomb while keeping it a little easier to mask/etc... will see what i come up with this couple days!
Nov 06, 2016, 08:18 PM
What about just using a larger honeycomb? That is, instead of a dozen little hexagons, how about 4-6 larger hexagons that have wider lines? Just a little more "bold", but still captures the essence of the original scheme?
Nov 06, 2016, 08:25 PM
aka: Pauly Knuckles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles
+1

Best DLG paint scheme ever!

+2
LOVE that honeycomb!
Nov 06, 2016, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
sizing and placement is very intentional for ease of masking and removal of stencils. but I do agree the gradient looks sloppy, which was my concern when i first saw it. doesn't pop either as you said. in solid it looks quite good (we've tried this on the aerial 1.5), but i'm trying to find a way to incorporate the honeycomb while keeping it a little easier to mask/etc... will see what i come up with this couple days!
the layout doesn't really work -it may be easier to mask - but its almost illegible. If you didn't know it said Vibe 2 - you'd be hard pressed to read it - all the letters cut off and all.

the thing I liked about the honeycomb was not just the shape - but the transition to a solid colour at the tip and it really stood out.

still - that's just my opinion.
Nov 06, 2016, 08:39 PM
Thread OP
I've also been playing with a derivative of the bubbles paint scheme, it's another one of those schemes that I've really liked, very easy to identify, and very very visible in the sky. What do you guys think?
Nov 06, 2016, 08:58 PM
Born to fly.
Thomas,

I like the orange honeycomb, too. The orange bubbles on my heavy Aerial have worked well. You're right, it's easy to pick the plane out in a crowd.

I picked up an XXLite and wanted a highly visible scheme, because the wing is smaller and I'd heard they can be hard to see at a distance. I went with orange/yellow gradient stripes and it has been amazingly effective. Several other DLG pilots have commented on how well it shows up. You could try orange/yellow gradient bubbles.

Hope this helps!

John

PS, don't forget white stripes on the bottom!
Nov 06, 2016, 09:00 PM
Sorry not a fan of the new scheme! Too plain and it gets lost with the color gradiation and letters running off the wing.

The vibe version ! with the newer scheme are too blahh for me as well-they look like they have a vinyl sticker "Vibe " on a plain wing.

Honey comb was awesome - the idea of a Bolder Honeycomb with more color is a good Idea.

I love the Stark 2 color schemes!

Take a look at Yuri's awesome color schemes on his X-Plane and X-Plane Plus in the High performance forums -Bright /colorful schemes-

I do understand you are aiming for light and fairly easy to paint schemes for a high production numbers plane.

Quick Reply