Oct 16, 2016, 01:16 PM
Thread OP
All cameras have rolling shutter, except ones with "Global shutter" which are very expensive.

We have found some that are reasonable though.. this will be revealed in due time.

DJI cameras are not great for rolling shutter but that is ony one reason not to use them. Another reason is that you have to fly very slowly in low light and you still end up with quite a bit of noise.

Steve
Last edited by saabguyspg; Oct 23, 2016 at 05:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2016, 01:52 PM
Steve, is the A3 restricted by GEO?
Oct 16, 2016, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
I believe so but from what I know you can get geo unlocked.

For use the "upside down wedding cake" for class C airspace seems to work well and make sense for 90% of people out there.

I have not tried to unlock it tough... this is a good idea I should try.

Steve
Oct 16, 2016, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
I believe so but from what I know you can get geo unlocked.

For use the "upside down wedding cake" for class C airspace seems to work well and make sense for 90% of people out there.

I have not tried to unlock it tough... this is a good idea I should try.

Steve
I have received custom GEO unlocks in the past. My concern is that in the details of the unlock, it states that the unlock may not pass through to sdk apps, and the lockouts will remain even though an unlock was requested and received.

I have not yet tested this but if true could be a problem for probably a limited number of projects. Unfortunately, I am in preliminary discussion with a Port district to map a 1000+ acre airport and industrial park. Among all the other things I'm trying to put together, I'm not sure what will happen if I can't automate the image capture. I guess I would need to look outside of dji's ecosystem as thus far they are unwilling to remove GEO even for certified operators.
Oct 16, 2016, 02:07 PM
Thread OP
Well that will be an issue.

Last thing I would want to do it go back to "S*itshawk" just to fly inside class c

Keep us posted
Oct 16, 2016, 02:31 PM
Thread OP
I sent an email to [email protected]

They need to resolve this for permitted operators.
Last edited by saabguyspg; Oct 16, 2016 at 02:46 PM.
Oct 16, 2016, 03:32 PM
Quote:

DJI cameras are not great for rolling shutter but that is not usually the reason not to use them. The bigger reason is that you have to fly very slowly in low light and you still end up with quite a bit of noise.

Steve
Yes... even their micro 4/3 sensor has this problem, unfortunately. I fly mapping missions only with the sun out. The results are very sharp, even from 95 feet flying at 14 mph.
Oct 17, 2016, 07:02 AM
Since shutter are mainly electronic due to video embeded or longer shutter life, most camera use rolling shutter for video. But there is multiple system :
- Rolling shutter
- Global shutter on mechanical shutter
- Global électronic shutter

There is a huge difference between bad and good sensor readout.
The electronic curtain is likely rate limited by readout performance. So if you have a readout of 30ms (=1/30s) like there is in dji or gopro or yi camera or other small sensor with huge megapixel. Shutter with a sync speed of 1/30 exposing at 1/1000 will move a slit 30:1000 of the height of the frame across it. If the height has 3000 rows, then the size of this slit is 3000*30/1000 = 90 rows or 90 frame in one picture. That's why you could have shaky pictures.

If you try to make same data with identical flight and bad rolling shutter, it's impossible !
Oct 17, 2016, 08:58 PM
Thread OP
yes all true, I tested a Nikon camera attained horrible results then switched to sony and results were perfect.

Trust in me when I say our systems are tested and proven We have shown some data and will post more.
Oct 21, 2016, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
The predator hunts its prey....
Oct 23, 2016, 04:12 PM
Steve, how much is the Stryder RTK? And when you start the OBS Kickstarter will we be informed though the newsletter?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Oct 23, 2016, 04:14 PM
Thread OP
Hi Gunford, we are in talks with some distributors for Stryder RTK so we can't release pricing just yet.

As for OBS yes the newsletter is the best option to stay up to date.

If you follow us on twitter you can see all prior newsletters.
Oct 30, 2016, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Hi Gunford, we are in talks with some distributors for Stryder RTK so we can't release pricing just yet.

As for OBS yes the newsletter is the best option to stay up to date.

If you follow us on twitter you can see all prior newsletters.
I just received your newsletter. Is the "OBS ground control surveying system" necessary at all if flying a Stryder? It seems they are independent products, a Stryder being much more convenient, fast, better workflow, etc.

EDIT: We have a 1200 acre site to survey. It seems the Stryder would be much more practical.
Oct 30, 2016, 11:44 PM
Thread OP
Hi there, erkq.

Ok so Stryder RTK will have the ability to survey without ground control. However if you are really providing a survey product you should take some check shots somewhere on site. Just a few are required so that you can prove your data was accurate. OBS will be able to do this for you. Anyone providing any type of data to a client should have the ability to show that their data is within the spec being asked of by the client.

We continually get people saying "well my phantom data was within 5% of the the actual volume" well yes it may be that day but the next day when your autonamous gps solution on the drone is not as good... guess what your data is out to lunch and neither you or your client know it... until year end and all their volumes are out

Now if you are surveying without stryder RTK (phantom or inspire or M600 etc) then you will need to use OBS for both Ground control and check shots.

Hope that helps.

Ps we are trying to make the OBS base work with the Stryder RTK so that when you buy OBS you can then just add Stryder RTK and off you go.

Steve
Oct 31, 2016, 01:13 AM

4 times the price

I was super excited to hear about this, and the price seemed to be great, just got an email and its 4x that what you were aiming for

Quote:
Hi, we are aiming for a $950USD mark for the basic kit which will include:

2 obs Cubes (base and rover)
Case
charging system
post processing software (no subscription required as it was asked the other day)

I am not sure if we can include the alignment plate for setting up over known control but we have some tricks we may be able to try with that regard first.

To be honest we will use all funds to better the OBS unit. We have a good roadmap with some exciting features for OBS down the road too.

Steve

Quick Reply