Mar 21, 2017, 12:45 PM
Thread OP
Hi everyone, we are still working hard on this concept however it has taken a back seat to the Stryder Geo plaform.

More news to come in the coming months stay tuned!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2017, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
A "check shot" is a shot of a known target, usually placed with high accuracy GPS equipment. It is used in the final map to determine the accuracy of the map by comparing what the map thinks the coordinates of the check shot are to the real coordinates when the target was set.
Thank you for your response! Would you then use the OBS in this situation for your check shot or how would you get this 'known target' location if you're in the back country?
Mar 22, 2017, 09:33 AM
Thread OP
Hi there yes that is what OBS was designed for.

You would have two modules, one sits in one location as a "base" the other yo move around placing it on your "check shots" and your "ground control points"

We have been working hard and improving the idea's and concepts that OBS and Stryder were built on... Things are changing and we hope to come out with some great stuff.

I can say that Stryder Geo will be in full blown test mode by the end of the month. OBS is about a month or more behind and to be honest as we develop Stryder Geo we are making some great discoveries that will translate into new products as well.

Stay tuned and thanks to everyone for ther support. If I have not replied to your messages off the website it is because we are 100% swamped working on hardware and software.

Steve
Mar 22, 2017, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg
Hi there yes that is what OBS was designed for.

You would have two modules, one sits in one location as a "base" the other yo move around placing it on your "check shots" and your "ground control points"

We have been working hard and improving the idea's and concepts that OBS and Stryder were built on... Things are changing and we hope to come out with some great stuff.

I can say that Stryder Geo will be in full blown test mode by the end of the month. OBS is about a month or more behind and to be honest as we develop Stryder Geo we are making some great discoveries that will translate into new products as well.

Stay tuned and thanks to everyone for ther support. If I have not replied to your messages off the website it is because we are 100% swamped working on hardware and software.

Steve
I really like the sound of what OBS promises! I understand why it has to be put on the back burner but I believe that having the option of OBS will be a game changer for many operators!

So help me best understand the workflow with the OBS: I would place the base station in it's location and leave it there (unless I am going more than 10 km away). Then I would take the second OBS to different locations around my survey site (less than 150m apart), wait three minutes for it to gain its position, pick it up and go to the next spot. Then after I fly the site, process the imagery, I would use my 'check shots' to find out how accurate my data is overall. I would use the coordinates from the different locations I placed the OBS to check my ortho map's coordinates to ensure the overall accuracy of my map.

Does that sound correct? And is that how I would use the OBS for my check shots?
Mar 22, 2017, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
yes all correct excpet the following

1) you would likely wait more lie 1-2 minutes in reality we are being safe with 3
2) you would also place marks on the ground for "ground control" this is what will make your data accurate, the check shots are essentially the same thing but not input into the software to correct anything just to check data after it is processed.

We are actually working hard on solutions right now to remove the ground control part of the equation for everyone shhhhh but the check shots will always be required.... but wait... we are working on a way to make even this much easier... more to come.

Steve
Mar 22, 2017, 10:49 AM
Quote:
yes all correct excpet the following

1) you would likely wait more lie 1-2 minutes in reality we are being safe with 3
2) you would also place marks on the ground for "ground control" this is what will make your data accurate, the check shots are essentially the same thing but not input into the software to correct anything just to check data after it is processed.

We are actually working hard on solutions right now to remove the ground control part of the equation for everyone shhhhh but the check shots will always be required.... but wait... we are working on a way to make even this much easier... more to come.

Steve
...you know it's not nice to tease people, right?!

Very interested in what you guys are doing and how you're doing it! Like that it's not just shooting from the hip!
Mar 22, 2017, 11:53 AM
Thread OP
How we are doing it... sorry can't say... other than with a LOT of time and money.

I better get back to work....
Mar 23, 2017, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Here is a small example on how to insert check shots.

You can't see it but we put a GCP at the four corners of the site and one at the high point on the only pile we were allowed to climb.

The two check shots are between GCP locations and there was no point to put a check shot at the top of the pile next to the GCP because data near a GCP is ALWAYS shown as accurate because the program will force the data close to the GCP into accuracy.

In Photoscan Pro check shots are not used to scale and reference the model.

BTW Photoscan has always been the most accurate but dang it's gotten even better over the past year.

This was done with Stryder and an X3 (not direct Geo)

We have an interesting site we did with Stryder along a highway and a real camera we will share next.
Steve,
May I use this photo for a STEM presentation? It will be to middle schoolers who participate in the STEM program in Idaho Falls, Idaho. There is no commercial angle to this request. But from a quick Google search, this image is more closely aligned with what I want to cover during the 20 minute presentation.

Matt Balderree
Mar 23, 2017, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
yup thanks for asking, have a good presentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbaldy
Steve,
May I use this photo for a STEM presentation? It will be to middle schoolers who participate in the STEM program in Idaho Falls, Idaho. There is no commercial angle to this request. But from a quick Google search, this image is more closely aligned with what I want to cover during the 20 minute presentation.

Matt Balderree
Mar 24, 2017, 10:00 AM
Quote:
yup thanks for asking, have a good presentation
Thanks!
Mar 27, 2017, 10:56 AM
Quick question for the gurus here: What vertical accuracy can I expect with RTK GPS. I know that with the right system, I can get +/- 2 cm on the X/Y axis but what about the Z axis?
Mar 27, 2017, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbaldy
Quick question for the gurus here: What vertical accuracy can I expect with RTK GPS. I know that with the right system, I can get +/- 2 cm on the X/Y axis but what about the Z axis?
A little more difficult to quantify using photogrammetry. It depends on the terrain and vegetation if you're looking to present a DSM of your client, and even with DTM, the wind blowing long grass could make a difference.

I'm sure someone else will be more 'scientific' in their response than I've been.
Apr 19, 2017, 10:08 AM
Hey Steve, with the summer at our doorstep (well, "relative summer" here..) is there any news you can share with us at this time concerning the OBS system and what it has grown in to?
Cheers,
Koen
Apr 19, 2017, 10:41 AM
Thread OP
Hi Squawk thanks for checking in.

With the advent of some other competitors knocking at our door like the Emlid single frequency setup linked below we have had to re-think OBS.

While OBS would be superior in many ways (dual frequency etc.) people today are just looking at bottom line price so we re-thinking.

Currently we are in full testing mode of Stryder Geo and thus 100% of our focus is there for financial and manpower reasons.

http://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/emlid...rX4aAnXO8P8HAQ
Apr 20, 2017, 01:16 PM
Say it ain't so, Jack!! Er, Steve! ;-)

Quick Reply