This thread is privately moderated by blckmn, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 03, 2016, 05:56 PM
Saved By The Lost Model Buzzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AILERON8
imho an OSD detracts from a quality FC. I'd rather have a buggy OSD sitting on my camera, VTx, or by its lonesome.
I tend to agree. It seems like the omnibus design works ok, but I'd just the same use one of the OSD/PDB combinations now. At least that way you don't need to do extra work to get a current sensor running on the OSD.

The Matek OSD/PDB is a great one.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2016, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Slater
I tend to agree. It seems like the omnibus design works ok, but I'd just the same use one of the OSD/PDB combinations now. At least that way you don't need to do extra work to get a current sensor running on the OSD.

The Matek OSD/PDB is a great one.
Point taken on OSD + current sensing. But I still love my omnibus and for current reading you just need to run a single wire vs 3 wires for OSD - FC connection.
Built in OSD has direct access to all internal data, so wouldn't it speed up development if you'd like to display some new data? Also, with all that extra CPU power, can you do graphic OSD same way or similar as in Brain FPV?
Nov 03, 2016, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klizmatron4ik
Point taken on OSD + current sensing. But I still love my omnibus and for current reading you just need to run a single wire vs 3 wires for OSD - FC connection.
Built in OSD has direct access to all internal data, so wouldn't it speed up development if you'd like to display some new data? Also, with all that extra CPU power, can you do graphic OSD same way or similar as in Brain FPV?
Good points
Nov 07, 2016, 01:53 AM
Team WarpSquad
Modular designs will always be better than all-in-one. Some people use an OSD, some don't, so if you made a board with a built-in OSD the cost would go up and your target consumer group would automatically shrink. Look at BrainFPV, it's not as popular as other f4 boards.

I'm really interested in 20x20 version, but please make it as light as possible (thin PCB). Considering the micro quad boom at the moment IMO it would sell better than a 30x30 board.
Nov 14, 2016, 08:35 PM
https://www.fpv303.com
Quote:
imho an OSD detracts from a quality FC. I'd rather have a buggy OSD sitting on my camera, VTx, or by its lonesome.
Why not keep the OSD, but uncheck all the options??? That way you can still tune with your goggles, but not get distracted by all that useful data?
Nov 14, 2016, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klizmatron4ik
Omnibus F4 with microSD and curr sensor but using an F7 sounds awesome!!!
Nov 14, 2016, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoboss
Modular designs will always be better than all-in-one. Some people use an OSD, some don't, so if you made a board with a built-in OSD the cost would go up and your target consumer group would automatically shrink. Look at BrainFPV, it's not as popular as other f4 boards.

I'm really interested in 20x20 version, but please make it as light as possible (thin PCB). Considering the micro quad boom at the moment IMO it would sell better than a 30x30 board.
I'd like to point out that the reason behind that likely has more to do with it being over $50...

Nobody's going to build a 3 board stack these days so integrating the OSD is a no-brainer. People that don't like OSD's can either disable it or disable all display data but still use goggles and transmitter to tune pid's at the field instead of having to use a laptop.

As far as people going bananas for the micro's, after a month or two buying motors, most people will stop and not go back unless they're cherry-picking points for multiGP.
Nov 15, 2016, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV303
I'd like to point out that the reason behind that likely has more to do with it being over $50...

Nobody's going to build a 3 board stack these days so integrating the OSD is a no-brainer. People that don't like OSD's can either disable it or disable all display data but still use goggles and transmitter to tune pid's at the field instead of having to use a laptop.

As far as people going bananas for the micro's, after a month or two buying motors, most people will stop and not go back unless they're cherry-picking points for multiGP.
I dunno, some of the newer 1306's can take a pretty long term beating. The Emax 3300's and T-motors come to mind. Those are designed for 4S and will give folks just as much mileage as their 2205 counterparts from what I've seen and experienced.

As for the integrated OSD, it's not that I'm against OSD's, I actually think they're great and use them in all of my builds. That said, they fail and get hot, because they pull more current than a flight controller. Quality OSD's are also busy, and I personally like a simple FC layout, and I know many folks do as well. OSDs are too personalized imo to place on a flight controller. Some folks like them with all the bells and whistles while others want VBat & a call sign. For $7 I can get an OSD that is better than many costing $35, and it's so tiny it fits on the back of any FPV camera. Why include it on a good FC?
Last edited by AILERON8; Nov 15, 2016 at 01:55 AM.
Nov 29, 2016, 05:47 PM
Quote:
I dunno, some of the newer 1306's can take a pretty long term beating. The Emax 3300's and T-motors come to mind. Those are designed for 4S and will give folks just as much mileage as their 2205 counterparts from what I've seen and experienced.

As for the integrated OSD, it's not that I'm against OSD's, I actually think they're great and use them in all of my builds. That said, they fail and get hot, because they pull more current than a flight controller. Quality OSD's are also busy, and I personally like a simple FC layout, and I know many folks do as well. OSDs are too personalized imo to place on a flight controller. Some folks like them with all the bells and whistles while others want VBat & a call sign. For $7 I can get an OSD that is better than many costing $35, and it's so tiny it fits on the back of any FPV camera. Why include it on a good FC?
I don't speak for everyone, but for me, I'd like to view voltage and be able to tune my pids from the transmitter which can't be done via a standalone OSD or PDB/OSD and since most boards take battery voltage these days, nothing is going to suffer from a lack of current. In the end, if you run an OSD, you're pulling current regardless. I guess I'm not familiar with the heat and failure issue as I haven't run into that with the omnibus line of FC's.

At any rate, I'd like to get back to this board and when Jason thinks it will be available and if what features it'll have. Any more info on the timeline and features? I'd love to see it have lap tracking on both sides that's compatible with trackmate.
Jan 11, 2017, 02:40 PM
I thought you were calling it the dragonfly? Did you opt for Nero because you are still fiddling while the drone burns?
Jan 11, 2017, 05:02 PM
Did you see that....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheredanine
I thought you were calling it the dragonfly? Did you opt for Nero because you are still fiddling while the drone burns?
I was - but it turns out there are other products out there using the same name - NERO is simple, and the idea being you burn it up (not the drone, but the track lol)
Latest blog entry: NERO - STM32F7 based FC
Jan 11, 2017, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckmn
I was - but it turns out there are other products out there using the same name - NERO is simple, and the idea being you burn it up (not the drone, but the track lol)
Make a change from escs either way
Cant wait
Jan 15, 2017, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckmn
Name Twins: https://www.cect-shop.com/it/nandan-f7-nero.html
Last edited by RePli; Jan 15, 2017 at 04:35 PM.
Jan 15, 2017, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RePli
There are so many cell phones out there these days, almost every name has been taken. Nero is a great name for this board, and I agree that it was a smart move to use Nero over dragonfly for sure.
Jan 16, 2017, 05:01 PM
He can call it the porridge for all I care, just get on with it mate

Quick Reply