Feb 23, 2017, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodizio View Post
Interesting. Really looks like no watchdog or watchdog not properly implemented.

Maybe an old brushed motor with worn down brushes also generates enough arcing? Would be easier for testing than running large gas engines.
There IS a watchdog and it works. The issue is also not with the main cpu, that still works fine. The issue is with the RF receiver (separate chip) that is locked. This chip does not reset OR does reset, but lost the setup config that is fed from the main cpu during startup.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2017, 09:13 AM
"cheap, small, lightweight"
If there was a properly implemented watchdog functionality, stuff like that wouldn't happen. The stm32 could easily check to see if the cc2500 is still doing what it's supposed to do, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Design mistake, or not properly implemented watchdog, however you'd like to call it.

Do we really know that this is the issue? I mean, it surely makes sense, but without internal Frsky knowledge or reverse-engineering the firmware it's hard to tell what's really going on.

Have tested with a X8R and a 230V 500w powerdrill (brushed motor) im the meantime, could not make it crash. But only tried for a minute, got annoyed by that powerdrill noise
Feb 23, 2017, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodizio View Post
If there was a properly implemented watchdog functionality, stuff like that wouldn't happen. The stm32 could easily check to see if the cc2500 is still doing what it's supposed to do, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Design mistake, or not properly implemented watchdog, however you'd like to call it.

Do we really know that this is the issue? I mean, it surely makes sense, but without internal Frsky knowledge or reverse-engineering the firmware it's hard to tell what's really going on.

Have tested with a X8R and a 230V 500w powerdrill (brushed motor) im the meantime, could not make it crash. But only tried for a minute, got annoyed by that powerdrill noise
The issue is not a watchdog itself but the relationship between 2 separate chips. I think they never realized the RF could be impacted that much by RF noise.
Feb 27, 2017, 01:17 PM
How close are the receivers to the ign module that are having a problem?
Not overly keen on putting my 100cc Er in the air until its sorted, but my 8xr is 62cm away from the da ignition module and my x6r(soon replaced with l9r) is 100cm away.
Feb 27, 2017, 02:30 PM
Suspended Account
I would think that any interference would be contained inside the braided jacket and metal casing around the plug housing. Now, if those were damaged too, but that would usually be easy to see.
Feb 27, 2017, 03:05 PM
I've been flying X8R for 3 years and no sign of any glitches. I've been around forever so I'm carrying on best practices from the 72 mhz days.

Other than an IBEC, on my giant scale planes, my reciever is always in the back of the cockpit area, same with the power boards. My telemetry stuff is up front, and my ignition is located in the cowling on top of the engine box, with lots of ventilation.

So that means, over 18" space between the receiver and the ignition.
Feb 27, 2017, 05:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighcopter View Post
I would think that any interference would be contained inside the braided jacket and metal casing around the plug housing. Now, if those were damaged too, but that would usually be easy to see.
I wish that was the case.. but that is exactly what happened with me and why I started this thread... the arcing was inside the metal plug cap.. between the resistor and the spring that is suppose to make contact between the spark plug terminal and the resistor.. I had checked everything very carefully with an ohme meter.. so I have no idea how the noise got out.. but once I fixed the arcing.. problem went away.. now except for YellowBird having a problem with and EDF.. I though it would have been contained to ignition type engines.. I did not expect it to crop up in an electric.. but not surprised either..
Mar 08, 2017, 02:11 AM
New firmware is out for a couple of receivers: http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/
Mar 08, 2017, 02:23 AM
"Enhance anti jamming capability" Does this mean it will reconnect after the interference is gone? Specifically, I would like to know if I set the failsafe to engine off, will the radio reconnect?

Appreciate the post.
Mar 08, 2017, 02:24 AM
Or just increased resistance to totally crapping out?
Mar 08, 2017, 02:32 AM
Failsafe has always worked as normal as far as i know. I think the fix is only for the total lockout issue.
Mar 09, 2017, 11:03 AM
Did someone test these new firmwares? What's happen when you have these extreme interference?
Mar 09, 2017, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorp_jon View Post
What's happen when you have these extreme interference?
Failsafe and crash with the older firmware....
Mar 09, 2017, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadango View Post
Failsafe and crash with the older firmware....
I know with the older. But what about new one?

Will it reconnect?
Mar 09, 2017, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorp_jon View Post
I know with the older. But what about new one?

Will it reconnect?
Yes, that is the point of the new firmware. It might failsafe for a short while (no idea how long) but it should recover.

Quick Reply