This thread is privately moderated by Jim.Thompson, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 02, 2016, 05:37 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP
Discussion

Glider launch dolly for aerotowing.

I've been deliberating for months on how to build a dolly for launching gliders when aerotowing. I finally got around to making one, this is the result.
It needs a bit of adjustment to provide a slightly increased angle of attack to lift the glider off the dolly positively.
Some form of suspension would also be good; it would prevent the possibility of the glider being bounced off the dolly prematurely due to the bumpy ground.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2016, 10:24 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP

Rubber suspension.

I added some rubber cushioned suspension to the dolly. Hopefully, this will reduce the shock to the glider on run up and also to minimise the chance of the dolly bouncing up and hitting the glider after separation.

There has been some discussion about separation problems with dollies. It puts a new meaning to the term "separation anxiety"!
Sep 06, 2016, 05:50 AM
AMA 79169
These are always tricky to work out.
My four-wheel dolly was not very successful with the problem being directional reliability.

I could roll it down my driveway just fine. Put a motor glider in it and physics was invented anew. Maddening.

I wish you luck and let us know your results - good or bad - we all learn from it.

-=Doug

Quick Reply