FrSky Horus HW and FrTX OS discussion - Page 2 - RC Groups
Sep 12, 2016, 08:53 PM
The .bin files are the OS firmware only. The .DFU files also contain the bootloader. Either is fine if the radio is running FrTX at the time of flashing but you will need the .DFU files if coming back from openTX , a major change which includes the bootloader or a serious crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgantz
As a mac user, I don't have access to a beta version of Companion 2.2 so, in order to update to the latest version of the FrSky OS, while I'm waiting for OpenTx and Companion 2.2, I just put the FrSky updated firmware .bin file in the firmware folder on the SD card and held down the Enter button while powering on. The radio then took it from there and gave me directions to restart, etc. Why is anyone resorting to using Companion to load the FrSky updates when the complexity of using the dfu files with the beta version of Companion 2.2 can be avoided? IE why mess with drivers, beta software and all that when you can just copy the .bin file to the SD card and let the radio run the upgrade process?

If you mount the SD card on a mac, you should also use one of the "clean eject" type utilities to make sure you aren't leaving any unnecessary files behind that could confuse the FrSky OS.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2016, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robomort
The .bin files are the OS firmware only. The .DFU files also contain the bootloader. Either is fine if the radio is running FrTX at the time of flashing but you will need the .DFU files if coming back from openTX , a major change which includes the bootloader or a serious crash.
That makes sense.. I wish I could be in the position where I was coming back from OpenTX. I wouldn't come back, would just like to be in that position since the Mac users seem to be left out of all the beta "fun"
Sep 12, 2016, 09:06 PM
A couple of options for you.
Companion is is just a graphical frontend to the real flashing software so if you are comfortable with a commandline it should be possible to flash the radio.
You can buy windows tablets dirt cheap these days and are ideal field programming devices.

Quote:
That makes sense.. I wish I could be in the position where I was coming back from OpenTX. I wouldn't come back, would just like to be in that position since the Mac users seem to be left out of all the beta "fun"
Sep 13, 2016, 12:06 AM
Quote:
As a mac user, I don't have access to a beta version of Companion 2.2 so, in order to update to the latest version of the FrSky OS, while I'm waiting for OpenTx and Companion 2.2, I just put the FrSky updated firmware .bin file in the firmware folder on the SD card and held down the Enter button while powering on. The radio then took it from there and gave me directions to restart, etc. Why is anyone resorting to using Companion to load the FrSky updates when the complexity of using the dfu files with the beta version of Companion 2.2 can be avoided? IE why mess with drivers, beta software and all that when you can just copy the .bin file to the SD card and let the radio run the upgrade process?

If you mount the SD card on a mac, you should also use one of the "clean eject" type utilities to make sure you aren't leaving any unnecessary files behind that could confuse the FrSky OS.
Agree, it's really easy to update without the using Companion.

Make sure to put a card into the Horus before and it will create two folders...1) FIRMWARE 2) LOGS

Download the V1.2.12 firmware update first. You'll use the .bin file folder.

Take the card out of the Horus and connect it to your computer. Copy the appropriate .bin file over to the FIRMWARE folder on the card. Just the file, not the folder. I used the mode2_frtx.bin version for my U.S. Mode 2 radio. (Bold below)

U.S. Version

mode1_frtx.bin
mode2_frtx.bin

European Version

mode1_LBT_frtx.bin
mode2_LBT_frtx.bin

Eject the card as you normally would. Insert into Horus and then hold down the ENTER (round wheel on the right between SYS/MDL/RTN/ TELE) and turn on the radio.

The radio will enter a flashing mode, access the firmware file, and you'll get the following info on your screen.
Last edited by Davidpe; Sep 14, 2016 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Modified incorrect information
Sep 13, 2016, 12:10 AM
BTW, I just noticed there's a "Flash Contents-Horus X12S" download but didn't have time to check it out.

What's this update? Model images, etc? Sounds?
Sep 13, 2016, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidpe
BTW, I just noticed there's a "Flash Contents-Horus X12S" download but didn't have time to check it out.

What's this update? Model images, etc? Sounds?
I don't think it's an update, just the original contents of the flash memory for those who didn't back theirs up and later run into problems.
Sep 13, 2016, 12:20 AM
Quote:
I don't think it's an update, just the original contents of the flash memory for those who didn't back theirs up and later run into problems.

This is a Beta update 1.2.12 -- first TX shipped with 1.2.6
http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/vie...e-Horus%20X12S
Sep 13, 2016, 12:26 AM
Quote:
http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/vie...s-Horus%20X12S

This is not an update.
Sep 13, 2016, 12:46 AM
Not quite right. You only use a single file.. The one appropriate for the location and mode of your TX. How is the radio supposed to know what file you need?

Quote:

Make sure to put a card into the Horus before and it will create two folders...1) FIRMWARE 2) LOGS

Take the card out of the Horus and connect it to your computer. Copy the 4 .bin files over to the FIRMWARE folder on the card. Just the files, not the folder.

Eject the card as you normally would. Insert into Horus and then hold down the ENTER (round wheel on the right between SYS/MDL/RTN/ TELE) and turn on the radio.

The radio will choose the file that it needs and you'll get the following info on your screen.
Sep 13, 2016, 12:49 AM
If that is the case Scott judging by the version numbers it would appear FrSky themselves are now spreading FUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
Sep 13, 2016, 12:50 AM
This is the best set of instructions for flashing I've seen. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=950

Very easy ... step by step..

Quote:

Take the card out of the Horus and connect it to your computer. Copy the 4 .bin files over to the FIRMWARE folder on the card. Just the files, not the folder.

The radio will choose the file that it needs and you'll get the following info on your screen.
Quote:
Not quite right. You only use a single file.. The one appropriate for the location and mode of your TX. How is the radio supposed to know what file you need?
Sep 13, 2016, 01:06 AM
Quote:
All four were in my FIRMWARE folder and it picked it fine for me.

Mode2_LBT_frtx.bin.

It then promptly erased that file from the 4 when flashing was complete. The other 3 remained.
Sep 13, 2016, 01:16 AM
If it did indeed load Mode2_LBT_frtx.bin. then you have just loaded the european standard into presumably a US radio. LBT stands for look before transmit. It is restricted to 25mW and will not bind with a non LBT RX.
Like I said you need to pick the correct firmware according to the location and mode

Quote:

Mode2_LBT_frtx.bin.

It then promptly erased that file from the 4 when flashing was complete. The other 3 remained.
Sep 13, 2016, 02:44 AM
Last edited by raydar; Sep 13, 2016 at 02:56 AM. Reason: wrong link
Sep 13, 2016, 02:50 AM
Quote:

When refined this is exactly the sort of simple instruction that should be stickied to the start of THIS thread for non opentx users to use for straightforward stock firmwares, no mention of opentx or companion are needed.

One page of information that is easily found and read that upgrades stock firmware and gives no other information to confuse the issue.

Jet flyers guide to flash opentx and back is great but confusing for non opentx lovers. It should be stickied to the start of the OTHER thread. Even downloading companion will be difficult or to much trouble for some which is fair enough.

Both should be hosted on frsky website clearly indicating which is a basic frsky os firmware upgrade and the other advanced users opentx firmware migration upgrade.
Last edited by raydar; Sep 13, 2016 at 03:39 AM.
Sep 13, 2016, 05:14 AM
The summary you are commending is not only half the story but is factually incorrect. See my comments a few posts up for why it is wrong.
That is why the approved document is a few pages long not a simple 5 line summary.
A little knowledge is dangerous.
Assumption is the mother of all stuff ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydar
When refined this is exactly the sort of simple instruction that should be stickied to the start of THIS thread for non opentx users to use for straightforward stock firmwares, no mention of opentx or companion are needed.

One page of information that is easily found and read that upgrades stock firmware and gives no other information to confuse the issue.

Jet flyers guide to flash opentx and back is great but confusing for non opentx lovers. It should be stickied to the start of the OTHER thread. Even downloading companion will be difficult or to much trouble for some which is fair enough.

Both should be hosted on frsky website clearly indicating which is a basic frsky os firmware upgrade and the other advanced users opentx firmware migration upgrade.
Sep 13, 2016, 06:46 AM
Quote:
The summary you are commending is not only half the story but is factually incorrect. See my comments a few posts up for why it is wrong.
That is why the approved document is a few pages long not a simple 5 line summary.
A little knowledge is dangerous.
Assumption is the mother of all stuff ups
That's why I stated when refined in my post as I knew it was not 100 % correct yet.

A little bit of tweeking and it is a very simple instruction that can be followed without being a IT guru.

A simple set of instruction with the easiest way to upgrade stock firmware may juse save the need for a " help I bricked my Horus thread" .

I will be updating my Horus tonight to the latest frsky firmware but won't be touching companion.

Don't get me wrong the manual Jet flyer wrote is excellent and I will need and use it and companion when I go to opentx.

It's just my opinion and I have stated it so I will drop the subject as of now.
Last edited by raydar; Sep 13, 2016 at 07:05 AM.
Sep 13, 2016, 08:35 AM
Quote:

Mode2_LBT_frtx.bin.

Uh, oh... Well, that's not the one I chose manually. I chose mode2_frtx.bin because I'm located in the US and will only fly in the US. In the update .zip file that I downloaded from FrSky, I noticed that mode2_LBT_frtx.bin has the earliest creation date. I wonder if that's got anything to do with why the radio "chose" that one when you gave it access to all 4?
Sep 13, 2016, 09:11 AM
FJH
FJH
[QUOTE=Robomort;35712335]If it did indeed load Mode2_LBT_frtx.bin. then you have just loaded the european standard into presumably a US radio. LBT stands for look before transmit. It is restricted to 25mW and will not bind with a non LBT RX./QUOTE]

LBT stands for Listen Before Talk and it's not restricted to 25 mW at all, it transmits with 100 mW.
Sep 13, 2016, 09:36 AM
Quote:

Mode2_LBT_frtx.bin.
Quote:
If it did indeed load Mode2_LBT_frtx.bin. then you have just loaded the european standard into presumably a US radio. LBT stands for look before transmit. It is restricted to 25mW and will not bind with a non LBT RX.
Like I said you need to pick the correct firmware according to the location and mode
In other words you might have buggered your radio. Try and bind to a receiver to tell if "it picked it fine ". LBT May lock your radio into only LBT format thereafter - although I don't think that is the case yet. (not going to try)

NOOBS! If you don't have Experience with Companion flashing OpenTX then leave your radio alone until the kinks are all straightened out. This is a new product and in truth there is no firmware available for it that is stable, bug free, and not in beta.

If you must tinker FOLLOW JET_FLYER instructions. He is the Chief GURU of the Horus. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=950
Sep 13, 2016, 09:56 AM
Absolutely correct. I stand corrected. LBT was a Freudian slip but I can't account for the ERP error. Probably too much exposure to 5.8GHz equipment.

[QUOTE=FJH;35714031]
Quote:
If it did indeed load Mode2_LBT_frtx.bin. then you have just loaded the european standard into presumably a US radio. LBT stands for look before transmit. It is restricted to 25mW and will not bind with a non LBT RX./QUOTE]

LBT stands for Listen Before Talk and it's not restricted to 25 mW at all, it transmits with 100 mW.
Sep 13, 2016, 04:03 PM
Quote:

So I followed this instruction above to flash stock frsky os to the latest frsky firmware on their website, and it was so simple and easy to do its unreal.

Only issue I found was the radio would not create a "FIRMWARE" folder but only a "LOGS" folder on the sd card so I manually created a new folder on the sd card when it was mounted on my computer and called it FIRMWARE.

I also downloaded the beta firmware from the frsky website to my computer and when opened only selected and dragged the one "bin" file of the four that was applicable for my needs to the Firmware folder on the sd card.

Followed the rest of the instruction above and the update is done and it was painless, took five minutes.

I then just out of interest selected the lbt firmware and flashed that, then back to world wide firmware and bound a non lbt x8r with no issues.

Had my Horus over week and shamefully that is the first time I have bound a receiver lol.
Last edited by raydar; Sep 13, 2016 at 04:19 PM.
Sep 13, 2016, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raydar
So I followed this instruction above to flash stock frsky os to the latest frsky firmware on their website, and it was so simple and easy to do its unreal.

Only issue I found was the radio would not create a "FIRMWARE" folder but only a "LOGS" folder on the sd card so I manually created a new folder on the sd card when it was mounted on my computer and called it FIRMWARE.

I also downloaded the beta firmware from the frsky website to my computer and when opened only selected and dragged the one "bin" file of the four that was applicable for my needs to the Firmware folder on the sd card.

Followed the rest of the instruction above and the update is done and it was painless, took five minutes.

I then just out of interest selected the lbt firmware and flashed that, then back to world wide firmware and bound a non lbt x8r with no issues.

Had my Horus over week and shamefully that is the first time I have bound a receiver lol.
One other folder you might want is MUSIC for Mp3 files that can be played with the built in mp3 player. The only fly in that ointment is the inactivity alarm comes on if I just have it playing music on the workbench. -- ya, sort of an expensive music player - but it's already there and the speakers aren't bad.
Sep 13, 2016, 08:02 PM
No bounce, No play.
From flashing document:

"16. Two File Explore windows will open.

17. Select the SD card drive and delete the system folders from the SD card CONFIG, IMAGES, SOUNDS and SYSTEM."

My SD card drive was F when in PC getting firmware copied to it.

When Horus was plugged in the F appeared again with Firmware, Logs, and Music folders.

Drive G appeared with CONFIG, IMAGES, SOUNDS and SYSTEM folders.

I did not delete any folders.
Sep 13, 2016, 08:12 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36
From flashing document:

"16. Two File Explore windows will open.

17. Select the SD card drive and delete the system folders from the SD card CONFIG, IMAGES, SOUNDS and SYSTEM."

My SD card drive was F when in PC getting firmware copied to it.

When Horus was plugged in the F appeared again with Firmware, Logs, and Music folders.

Drive G appeared with CONFIG, IMAGES, SOUNDS and SYSTEM folders.

I did not delete any folders.
I the beginning of the process before OpenTX is flashed we make copies the flash memory folders and put them on the SD card for a backup. We do this just as a backup incase something happens to the flash memory drive folders. After FrTX is restored you no longer need the old backup files because as you make changes to models they would no longer be current.

Mike
Sep 13, 2016, 08:15 PM
No bounce, No play.
Perfect, I never made those so they were not there to delete.
Sep 13, 2016, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
I the beginning of the process before OpenTX is flashed we make copies the flash memory folders and put them on the SD card for a backup. We do this just as a backup incase something happens to the flash memory drive folders. After FrTX is restored you no longer need the old backup files because as you make changes to models they would no longer be current.

Mike
Do you know if the STM32 bootloader is actually in the Tx firmware? I've been trying to flash OpenTx to my Horus & have had no luck at all, the computer doesn't "see" the Tx at all when it's off & USB cable plugged in, works fine w/Tx on, then plug USB in, Tx Firmware & SD contents pop right up so I believe the the USB port & cable are good, when Tx is off, USB plugged in I have nothing showing in DeviceManager, when I start Zadig & show all devices there's no STM32 listed, reading some on it it said the driver is actually on the device & Zadig helps load it from the device to the PC, is this correct?, if so can the this file be missing/corrupt in my Tx?, if that's possible would installing the FrSky update possibly include the STM32 driver, if anybody knows?
I'm using Windows 10 latest version, all current drivers etc, used zadig before & never had any problems w/it or my X9E but the Horus has been stumping me for 2 solid days now!
Sep 13, 2016, 09:30 PM
Mike (Jet Flyer), I have a suggestion for your very good instructions: move the step #9/10 regarding going to Companion settings and setting Radio Type to Horus to the beginning of #7. When I followed the instructions step by step (last week) the STM 32 Bootloader stuff didn't work because at least at the time I did it the "default" Radio Type was a Taranis and I hadn't done step 9/10 because I was "stuck" on step 7/8. I tried a half dozen cables, and all the ports on two computers. Eventually someone told me to change the Radio Type to Horus and then Step 8 worked as it was supposed to. I had read the instructions completely several times, but in the moment I was just being careful to do everything in order. Perhaps others have gotten stuck for the same reason. Other than this, things went very smoothly.
Sep 13, 2016, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
Mike (Jet Flyer), I have a suggestion for your very good instructions: move the step #9/10 regarding going to Companion settings and setting Radio Type to Horus to the beginning of #7. When I followed the instructions step by step (last week) the STM 32 Bootloader stuff didn't work because at least at the time I did it the "default" Radio Type was a Taranis and I hadn't done step 9/10 because I was "stuck" on step 7/8. I tried a half dozen cables, and all the ports on two computers. Eventually someone told me to change the Radio Type to Horus and then Step 8 worked as it was supposed to. I had read the instructions completely several times, but in the moment I was just being careful to do everything in order. Perhaps others have gotten stuck for the same reason. Other than this, things went very smoothly.
U2, so what did u do, start Companion w/it set to Horus, then w/Tx off plug into USB & start Zadig & then STM32 showed up in devices in Zadig?
Sep 14, 2016, 12:01 AM
[quote=fjh;35714031]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robomort
if it did indeed load mode2_lbt_frtx.bin. Then you have just loaded the european standard into presumably a us radio. Lbt stands for look before transmit. It is restricted to 25mw and will not bind with a non lbt rx./quote]

a little knowledge is dangerous indeed...

Lbt stands for listen before talk and it's not restricted to 25 mw at all, it transmits with 100 mw.
Here's the good news. After the thoughtful help of this thread, I was able to reflash the correct firmware, bind to several rx's and all is good.
Sep 14, 2016, 12:15 AM
[QUOTE=Davidpe;35720188]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjh

Here's the good news. After the thoughtful help of this thread, I was able to reflash the correct firmware, bind to several rx's and all is good.
Excellent. I love it when a plan comes together.
Sep 14, 2016, 02:37 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
When I followed the instructions step by step (last week) the STM 32 Bootloader stuff didn't work because at least at the time I did it the "default" Radio Type was a Taranis
The radio type set up in companion has absolutely nothing to do with the driver install.
Sep 14, 2016, 06:21 PM
No bounce, No play.
Big fail on the front slider buttons. Just barely sitting on the metal bar. Really thin plastic with no friction device at all to hold them on. I can see them getting retrofitted with something else. Maybe fab up aluminum with set screw.
Sep 14, 2016, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Big fail on the front slider buttons. Just barely sitting on the metal bar. Really thin plastic with no friction device at all to hold them on. I can see them getting retrofitted with something else. Maybe fab up aluminum with set screw.
If you make something up let me know I'd be interested
Sep 15, 2016, 03:21 PM
dear Frsky

MP3 player doesn't play well 320 kbps music files, you are maybe not using the latest version of the Lame encoder ?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugenski
Just a heads up for playing MP3s, 320kbps doesn't play well. I'm finding under 200kbps plays best. 320 stutters and doesn't sound good for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosD
I don't think so, I have exactly the same issue on a SanDisk Extreme Plus UHS-I (95 MB/s) card with 320 kb/s.
Sep 15, 2016, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radikal
dear Frsky

MP3 player doesn't play well 320 kbps music files, you are maybe not using the latest version of the Lame encoder ?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2395
Deleted. Looks like I've been reported.
Last edited by dfrazier; Sep 17, 2016 at 04:47 AM.
Sep 15, 2016, 05:40 PM
No bounce, No play.
Winding my way through the menus saw more than 130 discreet pages for settings, is that close? There's a lot of flexibility there.

Will only be bench flying this winter so bugs have time to get worked out.
Sep 17, 2016, 04:17 AM

Horus gimbals now in stock

dear Frsky

we know your priority is selling the premium radio but you should make them affordable for the X9E owners. Taranis X9E = 320 + 60 + 60 = 480 U$
Sep 18, 2016, 11:02 PM
No bounce, No play.
For all the hoopla around the switch cover. Turns out it's a poor lanyard hook. Depending on where you put pressure on the radio it can flip open and closed. It's a great switch cover though.

Needs the portion sticking up with the loop to be just milled off. Then the inner trim buttons are easy to get at. Close when in use to access sliders.

I am good with the navigation buttons around the wheel now. Didn't like them at first. Got the knack of using them.

Manual is atrocious.

Should not need any extra sticks. Included ends adjust fine for me.
Sep 18, 2016, 11:55 PM
Quote:
For all the hoopla around the switch cover. Turns out it's a poor lanyard hook. Depending on where you put pressure on the radio it can flip open and closed. It's a great switch cover though.

Needs the portion sticking up with the loop to be just milled off. Then the inner trim buttons are easy to get at. Close when in use to access sliders.

I am good with the navigation buttons around the wheel now. Didn't like them at first. Got the knack of using them.

Manual is atrocious.

Should not need any extra sticks. Included ends adjust fine for me.
Agree with you on the switch cover as a lanyard attachment. I ordered http://www.t9hobbysport.com/horus-ne...p-support-arms . They arrived last week and they are really excellent.
Sep 19, 2016, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Agree with you on the switch cover as a lanyard attachment. I ordered http://www.t9hobbysport.com/horus-ne...p-support-arms . They arrived last week and they are really excellent.
I found out that Wayne will be carrying them but not sure when.
Sep 19, 2016, 05:30 AM
Quote:

...Should not need any extra sticks. Included ends adjust fine for me.
While you can sort of lengthen them by loosening them, there is no check-nut so when I do that they don't feel secure, they wobble a bit, and could eventually back themselves out all the way or tighten back up. I don't think they are considered adjustable.

Actually, I have just learned of the allen screw in the center that acts as a set-screw. So, yes they are adjustable which makes me much happier!
Last edited by kgantz; Sep 19, 2016 at 05:51 AM. Reason: New information has come to light!
Sep 19, 2016, 05:44 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Of course they are, the tightening system is the Allen screw that's at the bottom of the the center hole.
Sep 19, 2016, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Of course they are, the tightening system is the Allen screw that's at the bottom of the the center hole.
Ha! Never even noticed they were there.. Thanks!!
Sep 19, 2016, 06:59 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
..Allen screw that's at the bottom..
Struck me as "Old School". Used to be that was the way, then I saw mostly two piece knobs. Spin out the top and bring the bottom up to jam it back together.

This is much better set screw type, threads are twice as big as I used to see. Uses good size wrench that doesn't strip the first time you use it, old ones were tiny.
Sep 19, 2016, 07:00 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrazier
I found out that Wayne will be carrying them but not sure when.
Perfect. Only sensible way to hold this radio.
Sep 19, 2016, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Never thought to look there.
Sep 20, 2016, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrSky RC
High power transmitter modules have impact on the Horus. We will take a closer look for the reason and the solution.
Any updates? I am experiencing these issues on my Production Horus in 2016.
Sep 20, 2016, 07:05 PM
Hi Frsky RC, can the throttle curve editor move the curve points in x axis ? It's an important feature for me. Even my lower end tx Radiolink at9 can move curve points in x axis. Please add in this feature, thanks.
Sep 20, 2016, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasNerd
Any updates? I am experiencing these issues on my Production Horus in 2016.
In 2016?? The year?? You do know the Horus has only been on the market for a few weeks and they are more scarce than hens teeth - right?? FrSky and OpenTX still are working through issues with firmware - both have beta firmware available. You can download the latest Beta firmware from FrSky @ http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/vie...e-Horus%20X12S

If you're on OpenTX they are also in beta and you'd certainly know where to obtain that firmware.
Sep 20, 2016, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric FPV
Hi Frsky RC, can the throttle curve editor move the curve points in x axis ? It's an important feature for me. Even my lower end tx Radiolink at9 can move curve points in x axis. Please add in this feature, thanks.
If you want that sort of curve flexibility you might consider moving to the OpenTX firmware option - with up to 17 point curves and 16 different curves available for each model it's more flexible than a anorexic contortionist.
Sep 20, 2016, 09:25 PM
Quote:
If you want that sort of curve flexibility you might consider moving to the OpenTX firmware option - with up to 17 point curves and 16 different curves available for each model it's more flexible than a anorexic contortionist.
I tried latest Opentx 2.2 N357 and N358, there are still bugs , the curves points jumps around when you restart the tx. so at this point I am stuck with frtx os. also Opentx can not adjust screen brigthness using s1 pot like Frtx os. so I am stuck with frtx for now.
Sep 20, 2016, 10:29 PM

4s Charging cable for Horus

I just find out last night that we can charge the Horus using 4S lipo, I seem to have one xt60 to charger power plug laying around so I checked the polarity of the plug, outside negative, inside positive."please check your adapter plug polarity before you plug it in" I am not sure if there are reverse polarity charging protection in Horus. Charging current is about 0.23A,
Now I don't worry about running low on juice for my Horus.
Sep 21, 2016, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Up to 21 curve points will be supported in next release and up to 11 curve points in x axis can be edited as well.
Last edited by FrSky RC; Sep 21, 2016 at 12:42 AM.
Sep 21, 2016, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrSky RC
Up to 21 curve points will be supported in next release and up to 11 curve points in x axis can be edited as well.
Very nice!
Sep 21, 2016, 03:28 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Quote:
I tried latest Opentx 2.2 N357 and N358, there are still bugs , the curves points jumps around when you restart the tx.
If you are able to explain how to cause it then by all means do so! It can't be fixed if it can't be reproduced...
Sep 21, 2016, 09:25 AM

FrSky Horus HW and FrTX OS discussion

Quote:
If you are able to explain how to cause it then by all means do so! It can't be fixed if it can't be reproduced...
I read this and something popped my mind.

A friend of mine had a weird issue. When throttlestick is below 0, so under midpoint the values of it started jumping everywhere. Also when pulled the stick against the gimball endstop the values started to go crazy! We thought a defect hall sensor caused it. BUT. Back to FrSky OS the problem is gone! Back to OpenTX and problem is back. Even after multiple calibrations.

Maybe sort of the same issue?

Japie.G - RCGroups.com(405330) (0 min 57 sec)

Sorry, video in dutch, was part of a private conversation. But the effect is clear I think.
Last edited by Japie.G; Sep 21, 2016 at 09:32 AM.
Sep 21, 2016, 09:41 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Looks like he did not center the throttle at the first "center all controls" calibration step.

If not, can he look at the "Analogs" page of the "statistics" menu? And maybe post the model file (modelxx.bin, can see the number of the matching file at the bottom of the model select screen)?
Sep 22, 2016, 01:13 AM

Unfortunately the radio is already sent back for replacement. Also the right slider was totally dead in FrOS AND OpenTX.
Sep 22, 2016, 12:14 PM
On the production Horus my understanding is the IXJT module is updated w/the FrSky OS, how do we know when there is an update to the internal module in a particular update or is it updated each time?, reason for this question is I have a production Horus, started w/original FrSky OS, then updated to FrSky 1.0.12, then flashed OpenTx (358 now) & see there is now FrSky 1.0.14 (are there updates/improvements in the internal module in this update?). Running OpenTx it's been explained that to get the internal module updates you have to flash back to current FrSky update then back to OpenTx, not a problem but would prefer to do it only when there is an update to the internal IJXT module in the update, how are these internal module updates being handled/or listed by FrSky?
Apologies as I know this is a thread for the FrSky OS only but I asked on the OpenTx thread & was told since the module update can only be obtained thru the FrSky update process that it would be better to ask here.
TIA
Sep 22, 2016, 12:31 PM

Good question
Sep 22, 2016, 05:33 PM
Problem With My Horus (9 min 0 sec)
Sep 22, 2016, 05:51 PM
X-Ikarus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radikal
Read the Youtube comments its USER ERROR
Radikal you have such a Reverse opinion
Old Sep 22, 2016, 06:28 PM
Radikal
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while Radikal edits it.
Sep 23, 2016, 03:39 AM

Bug FrTX 14 Beta

i got a small bug on my Horus.

I created a model.
Named it: "WAR TORNADO"
edited it and used it.
Now i duplicated the model to use all made configuration within my second copter.
The copy got named: "WAR TORNADO copy"
i clicked modify to change the name to "WAR ZMX"
after finishing my changes i left the edit screen and got back to the main screen, there i now got three models:
  • WAR TORNADO
  • WAR TORNADO cop
  • WAR ZMX
The first and last model work fine. The second one displays an "error" and i can't delete it, nor change the name or anything on it.

Is there a way to get rid of this corrupted model? Maybe a safety check is missing against too long model names ?
Sep 24, 2016, 08:26 AM
Quick question,

Could I get myself a Horus, charge it up, set it up in a plane and go fly with it and trust it?

Without all the flash's, bashes, outloads or uploads?
Sep 24, 2016, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick K.
Quick question,

Could I get myself a Horus, charge it up, set it up in a plane and go fly with it and trust it?

Without all the flash's, bashes, outloads or uploads?
Yes you can.
Sep 24, 2016, 08:46 AM
No bounce, No play.
Just make sure it is not the original FrSky firmware. You should at least put the latest that is on their site. The process is dead simple. Put firmware on card, insert into radio, turn radio on.

There was a bad trim issue with original FW. Multiplied trims when switching modes using dual rates/expo? (don't quote me on exact working of that bug, details should be here somewhere in the various threads).
Sep 24, 2016, 08:57 AM
Thanks Joe, David.

Joe, you know who I'll be calling!! (chuckle, chuckle!)

And yes, I still plan on learning the open tx.

Was just wondering after reading about all this....
Sep 24, 2016, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick K.
Thanks Joe, David.

Joe, you know who I'll be calling!! (chuckle, chuckle!)

And yes, I still plan on learning the open tx.

Was just wondering after reading about all this....
No problem Rick, I'll be out this afternoon. Flying.

The only functons that you would run into with the original Frtx os is the glider menu, for your type of flying. For power the menu is fine and robust.
Sep 27, 2016, 11:00 PM
i just received my Horus today and follow the instructions to successfully flash the Horus to OpenTx ....however i would like to know what is the different between OpenTx and FrTx
..i am kinda confuse between these two...which one is better for my radio? anyone can give me some advise?
Sep 28, 2016, 03:29 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Just 2 very different ways to basically do the same in the end. The best for you is the one you understand better, nobody can answer that for you.
Sep 28, 2016, 03:42 AM
If frsky firmware could allow end point adjustment, stick position hold at curve position, adustment of curves and rbus telemetry on the same page that would be neat as it would be a dedicated servo match page.

I make the suggestion/request now with the realisation that it could be a very long time before you can even consider working on such a feature.

But as they say "if you don't ask you don't get".
Sep 28, 2016, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Just 2 very different ways to basically do the same in the end. The best for you is the one you understand better, nobody can answer that for you.
thx so much for your advise. i think i will stick with OpenTx since i came from Taranis Plus.
Sep 28, 2016, 07:49 AM
Is it possible to get a voltage warning if the voltage is 3s below a value? Didnt find this option in my horus.
Sep 28, 2016, 12:35 PM
How do I display numerical value for transmitter battery voltage with FrTx?
Sep 28, 2016, 12:45 PM
does FrTx support "The Linker"?
Sep 28, 2016, 01:48 PM
No bounce, No play.
I did the .18 update. Did a range check before and after. Did not see any difference.

RSSI seems to show more updates. Moves through lots of numbers instead of just jumping 15 or 20 at a time.
Sep 28, 2016, 10:50 PM
Someone please HELP!

1) just received it and reflash it to use OpenTX
2)create a new model and bind to X8R
3) the FC is Naza M v2

dont know why by defult it my Throttle stick becomes Elevator (CH2) and the Elevator stick becomes Throttle(CH3) show in Mixer.....

anyone can help? any proper way to create the model? please advise..

cant use the radio after i get it for 3 days.....pls help
Sep 29, 2016, 02:26 AM
Sounds like a simple stick mode issue. Have you checked what mode the Horus thinks it's in?
Sep 29, 2016, 06:44 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DH106
...Have you checked what mode the Horus thinks it's in?
And what default channel order is set right now? That can be changed to whatever you want.
Sep 29, 2016, 09:37 AM
Since you have a Taranis, you could compare how you set up sticks/channels and do the same. The screens are pretty much the same as you have no doubt noticed.
Sep 30, 2016, 10:11 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
I think there's a bug in FrOs. I set up ailevators with a 3 chan rcvr. Put elev on chan1 and elev2 on channel 2. Servos all work correctly and when I set up triple rates on elevator and aileron I got strange results. Rates work correctly on elevator but don't on aileron. Regardless of switch position, I only get what's programmed on Dr1 one. I'm sure I've programmed it correctly as another aileron channel works correctly in the monitor,
Sep 30, 2016, 10:24 PM
Perhaps you could use the screen save feature to show what you have done but I would not be surprised if there is a bug.
Sep 30, 2016, 11:02 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Quote:
Perhaps you could use the screen save feature to show what you have done but I would not be surprised if there is a bug.
I'll look into it when I get home. At a fly in rest of the week. I thought it strange that they use 2 elev channels rather than one aileron and one elevator. Other radios I've owned, including OpenTx do it that way.
Oct 01, 2016, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobed
I'll look into it when I get home. At a fly in rest of the week. I thought it strange that they use 2 elev channels rather than one aileron and one elevator. Other radios I've owned, including OpenTx do it that way.
You only need 3 channels if you have separate ailerons and elevators. Elevons only need two channels.
Tom
Last edited by Tomkfly; Oct 01, 2016 at 10:54 AM.
Oct 01, 2016, 07:49 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Well I have another requirement. Throttle.
Oct 01, 2016, 08:39 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Tom, could you program ailevators on your Horus using channels one and two and see if you get the same results?
Thanks.
Forgot to mention, FrOs not OpenTx.
Oct 02, 2016, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Tom, could you program ailevators on your Horus using channels one and two and see if you get the same results?
Thanks.
Forgot to mention, FrOs not OpenTx.
I was set up on OpenTX and had not done any programming with the FrSky OS.
However I have reflashed with FrSky OS and have set up a model on 3 channels.
CH 1 AIL1
CH 2 AIL2
CH 3 Throttle
And I added ELE, both values to +100, to CH 1
ELE -100, both values -100, to CH 2
( I thought FrSky OS is supposed to be easier than OpenTX)
The servo monitor behaves as I would expect. That AIL stick move both bars in the same direction and ELE moves them in opposition, which is correct for nearly all servo setups. (Drive taken off opposite sides of servos)

Tom
Oct 02, 2016, 09:45 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkfly
CH 1 AIL1
CH 2 AIL2
CH 3 Throttle
The servo monitor behaves as I would expect. That AIL stick move both bars in the same direction and ELE moves them in opposition, which is correct for nearly all servo setups. (Drive taken off opposite sides of servos)

Tom
1. You didn't use the ailevator function in FrOs.
2. The problem is not servo function, it's when you program multiple rates. Elevator rates work. Aileron rates do not.
Oct 03, 2016, 03:00 PM
As I said I haven't done any previous setups on FSOS, so This is a learning curve for me.
I tried the Ailevator function today and it seemed to be more difficult to setup than the way I did the Ailervaitors yesterday. Either way I could only get rates to work on either ELE or AIL but not both together, may need to play with it a bit more, but my battery ran flat. I will try again when the battery is charged and I have some spare time.
This setup would be so easy with OpenTX.

Tom
Oct 04, 2016, 07:20 AM
I've had another look at the Ailevators and haven't been able to sort it out. It just doesn't work as I would expect it to.
Any chance one of the beta testers that has been using FSOS have a look at setting up Ailevators for a two servo setup, with rates, using the Ailivator function as I'm pretty sure it isn't working the way it is meant to.
I know I would find this simple to set up with Futaba, Spectrum or Open TX , but this FrSky OS has me stumped.
Tom
Oct 04, 2016, 03:50 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Quote:
CH 1 AIL1
CH 2 AIL2
CH 3 Throttle

Tom
I programmed ailevators using the mixer in a way different from yours but the servos move properly and the rate/expo work properly. Like OpenTx, FrOs has more than one way to skin a cat. There's no doubt that there's a bug in the ailevator function.
Oct 04, 2016, 04:00 PM
Quote:
I programmed ailevators using the mixer in a way different from yours but the servos move properly and the rate/expo work properly. Like OpenTx, FrOs has more than one way to skin a cat. There's no doubt that there's a bug in the ailevator function.
There does seem to be something drastically wrong with the Ailevators function. I think they may have it set for multiple servo setups instead of a basic 2 servo one, but it should work with 2 servos.

Tom
Oct 06, 2016, 07:52 AM
Quote:
There does seem to be something drastically wrong with the Ailevators function. I think they may have it set for multiple servo setups instead of a basic 2 servo one, but it should work with 2 servos.

Tom
This is the same problem i have a while back trying to get my fpv flying, in the end i opted for a vtail function, swapped the ailerons to the rudder and the elevator as normal:

in the output menu:
channel 1:rudder
channel 2: elevator
On the receiver plugged one servo to channel 3
the other to channel 2
you might have to reverse the connections on the reciver IE: swap the two connectors over, I remember doing this with the early futaba radio to get the wing working.

Doing this way has allowed me to get all my rates and expo setup properly .
Well until they sort the bug out.
Oct 08, 2016, 02:10 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
I'm an OpenTx guy but thought I'd give FrOs a try. Seems like they've done a pretty good job and I set up a couple of basic planes very quickly.
Here's my problem. I'm setting up a gyro stabilizer and can't get there from here no matter what I try. Channel 5 needs to go -100-0+100 with a switch. I'm using sw B and it's not a problem. Where I strike out is channel 8. Also using sw B, need to be -100 at sw B up. No problem. Sw B mid and up needs to have a number between -100 and + 100 adjustable from the transmitter. Any ideas? On OpenTx, I just use a couple of Gvars adjusted with the throttle trim sw.
Thanks for any help. I hate to give up.
Oct 08, 2016, 08:49 PM
Your bug report does exist under NORMAL, it will be fixed in the upcoming FW. Please choose FLYING WING for your setup for now. Thanks bigbobed.
Oct 09, 2016, 12:15 PM
Can anyone tell me how to program Horus with FrOs to beep vario sound? I am able to play a value of ascending/descening rates but I prefer just listening to beeps
Oct 09, 2016, 10:53 PM
It will be optimized in the upcoming FW. Please use LOGICAL SWITCH for your application for now. Thanks tadamo!
Oct 10, 2016, 02:38 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Dear FrSky,

Just wanted to open a post with that and follow up with a compliment...I like your radio.