This thread is privately moderated by 1nspectorGadget, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 01, 2016, 08:25 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Upair One 2K 5.8ghz FPV - My Honest Unfiltered Experience

I have been chronicling my experience with this quadcopter with video reviews and tests. This is my real-life unfiltered opinion over the span of my usage and ownership of the quad. I do not plan on doing any modifications until the quad has matured and I am ready to move on to the next GPS quad, so everything will remain stock until that time. So, you will see how this thing performs and holds up over time and learn as I learn along the way.
Episode #1
UPAIR One - Episode #1 - Unboxing, Setup & Flight Test (36 min 28 sec)
Last edited by 1nspectorGadget; Sep 06, 2016 at 11:30 AM. Reason: better titling
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2016, 08:25 PM
Thread OP

Episode #2

Installment #2 in my series of videos called, "The Road Back to Trusting GPS Quads Again." In this video, I test out the visibility of the monitor in sunny conditions, familiarize myself with the OSD info, test the IOC/Headless mode (albeit inadvertently), and attempt to calibrate the compass using the ALTHOLD clockwise rotation recommended in various forums/blogs.

Still not convinced it worked, but I did notice after flying the quad around for awhile that it held its position much better. But it is still a 'drifter' nonetheless. I'm still fairly pleased with the quad because the camera/gimbal combo puts out very smooth footage.
UPAIR One 2K Sunny Day Flight Test - Episode #2 (26 min 3 sec)
Sep 01, 2016, 08:31 PM
Thread OP

Episode #3 - Camera Test

First off, I am really starting to like this quad! I am getting more comfortable with it due to repeated successful failsafe engagements (RTH accuracy, low voltage RTH, etc.). If I don't bring it in before the battery gets low, it will come back home itself. It's also supposed to do that when transmitter signal is lost.

It still drifts while hovering, but I noticed that it seems much more stable at higher altitudes. This raw footage from the integrated 2K camera and the 2-axis gimbal keeps the video very smooth. The pictures I snapped are crisp. The camera does not record sound, so we don't get to hear the therapeutic sounds of the motors. I'm ok with that. Not too many people are around at school right now, so I thought I'd fly around there. The FPV monitor is awesome! It allowed me to frame all of my shots exactly how I wanted. This is definitely the way to go for aerial photography.

First flight I got about 13-minutes out of the smart battery, second about 18-minutes (see Episode #2) and this one about 16-minutes. I did give it a bit more altitude this time and the FPV signal remained solid throughout with occasional yet brief static. I'm having a lot of fun thus far.
UPAIR One 2K Camera Test - Episode #3 (7 min 39 sec)
Sep 01, 2016, 08:34 PM
Thread OP

Episode #4 - FPV Range Test (Stock vtx)

Tested the FPV range just on a horizontal plane to see how far the picture on the monitor remains visible. Since I am fairly new to GPS quads, super long distance flying is not very attractive to me yet. I am more comfortable with keeping the quad within line of sight and using the monitor to frame shots.

With that in mind, I figured pushing out to about 400 feet (which translates into about 120 meters) would provide a good reference point. 400 feet is also the altitude maximum set by the FAA. At 131 meters, the picture remained fairly solid and visible though there was some static on the screen. I am very happy with the results.

I did have a pleasant discovery on flight #4. I was more cognizant of waiting for the flashing satellite icon to go solid before launching. I believe it stops flashing once you have 7 satellites and while I am about 99% sure I had at least that many prior to launching on former flights, I didn't specifically check for it. I did this time and hover stability was GREATLY improved!

So, after flight #4, the UPAIR One has proven to be a GPS quad I can trust. I have tested all of its functions and they all work perfectly.

The next thing to do is to overcome my hesitancy to take it to higher altitudes, so that's the next frontier. I still want to explore Altitude Hold mode and Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC Mode) more as well.
UPAIR One 2K FPV Range Test - Episode #4 (12 min 27 sec)
Sep 01, 2016, 08:36 PM
Thread OP

Episode #5 - Flying Higher

Flight #5 and I finally have the courage to take the Upair One up high. The sun had set so it was a bit dark, but the camera performed well in these conditions. I did notice that the video feed got pretty fuzzy at about a hundred meters up and 30 meters out. Next flight I think I'll purposely test how far away the video feed remains visible at a high altitude. All in all, another successful flight.
UPAIR One 2K Flying a Little Higher - Episode #5 (2 min 51 sec)
Sep 01, 2016, 08:38 PM
Thread OP

Episode #6 - Controller Battery Test

So I wanted to find out what would happen when the battery in the controller gets weak. Would the controller just cut off and render me helpless? The Upair One has a solid failsafe that is triggered when signal is lost from the controller. But do you get a low voltage warning from the controller is the question?
Upair One 2K Low Battery Test - Episode #6 (5 min 19 sec)
Sep 29, 2016, 10:51 PM
Thread OP

Upair One 2K - My Best One Yet!! - Episode #7

Upair One 2K - My Best One Yet - Episode #7 (3 min 4 sec)

Quick Reply