Sep 01, 2016, 07:31 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Fly-In

T.E.X., the Texas Electric eXpo: Thunderbird Field, Fort Worth, TX, Oct 22, 2016!

TEX, the Texas Electric eXpo, presented by the Fort Worth Thunderbirds at Thunderbird Field, Lake Benbrook, TX: Oct 22, 2016

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come join us for TEX ( the Texas Electric eXpo), one of the very best electric fly ins in Texas! Event location is beautiful Thunderbird Field, next to Mustang Park on the south end of Lake Benbrook. This will be the fifth TEX at our current field.

Thunderbird Field is one of the the top flying sites in AMA District 8. If you have not had a chance to fly here, do not miss out!

We have moved our event date up a couple of weeks, from the first Saturday in Nov to the second to last Saturday in October, Oct 22. We want to hold the event a little earlier and hopefully get some of the awesome North Texas October weather for our event.

Event hours are are 9am to 5pm. All types of electric models are welcome!

Full AMA required, this is an AMA sanctioned event. (our lease prevents the use of a Park Pilot membership...sorry)

We are going for minimal rules and hassle and maximum relaxed fun and lots of flying.

The landing fee is $20.00 and lunch for pilots is included.

Bring your mad money for the raffle.....we are going to give away a Spectrum DX9 and lots of other goodies

Sponsors list!

Sponsors:
Roy's Hobby Shop
JT's Hobby shop
and more to come

We are accepting donations for raffle prizes.

We will have lots of awards for the pilots and their models:

Awards for:

Contest Director's Choice
Best Civilian Scale model
Best Military Scale model
Best Sport model
Best EDF model
Best Aerobatic model
Largest Electric (weight in pounds x wingspan in feet)
The Joe Jopling Award for Technical Achievement in Electric Powered Flight

We have renamed our Technical Achievement award to honor a a club member that passed away recently. Joe Jopling was a great club member and a very innovative modeler and we want to use the award to help people remember him and his contributions to the Fort Worth Thunderbirds and to the R/C hobby. Bring something that you created. It does not ahve to be a model: it can be jsut about anything to do with electric R/c that shows technical innovation.

We are also going to do a Mass Warbird Launch around noon. This was a blast last year and was so much fun we are doing it again, hopefully bigger and better!. My goal this year is to get at least 20-24 electric warbirds up and lapping the field at the same time. All sizes of electric warbirds are welcome, but preference is for ones around the size of the Parkzone warbirds and similar.

We will also be doing electric profile warbird combat over in the heli/parkflyer area throughout the day. I will post details and a link about the requirements in a bit.

web site here:

http://www.fwthunderbirds.org/

I hope to see all the usual suspects there, as well as any interested electric flyer withing driving distance!

This year, I will personally rebate the entry fee to the person traveling the farthest distance to this event, so make sure you check in with me at the event if you have traveled from afar.

The entry to our area of Benbrook lake is off 1187, south of the lake. Turn north at Winscott Plover road, go north to the park gate and then after showing your AMA card, continue north to the first stop sign. Turn left there and the field is on your right, a few hundred yards down the road. Folks coming from east of I-35W have a shorter trip to T-Bird field than before, as you can simply head down I-35W south to 1187 and turn west.

There is controlled access to the park, where our field is located. At the gate, simply show your AMA card to the attendant and tell them you are here for the fly in at the model field.

They will give you a free pass that you tape to your windshield that allows access to the flying field area of the park.

Hope you can make it!

Please check in and tell us what you are bringing to fly!
Latest blog entry: My 2021 event schedule
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2016, 11:19 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
TEX is just a month away! Get those new models finished up and ready!

Don't forget about the Joe Jopling award for Technical Achievement in Electric Powered Flight. If you have something original, unique, or innovative, bring it out!
Oct 06, 2016, 03:55 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Getting closer! Two weeks and a day away! Have high hopes that moving it up two weeks from the first Sat in Nov to the third Saturday in October will yield us some better weather.

Get those new models ready, bring something interesting for the Joe Jopling Technical Achievement in Electric Powered Flight Award.

Will have at least one warbird mass launch around noon or so, so bring those warbirds!

If you are coming, please touch base here and let yak now what you are bringing.
Oct 12, 2016, 12:52 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
I had an inquiry about if it was ok to bring stuff to sell.

Absolutely! Feel free to bring anything you want to sell and consider this event to also be a tailgate swap meet. Visitors are also allowed to sell.
Oct 17, 2016, 07:37 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Just 5 days away. Have started setting out the raffle prizes to pack in my wife's SUV.

Current weather forecast for Saturday is outstanding! Clear, no chance of rain, high of 77, winds light at 5-10 mph!

Get those aircraft ready!
Oct 18, 2016, 03:09 AM
Lost in the Sky
This Saturday!
Oct 18, 2016, 06:30 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Ok, folks. I have some awesome news!!!

We have upgraded the DX9 radio that we are giving away.

Our grand raffle prize is now a DX9 Black Edition, with an AR9020 RX, the special DX9 Black Edition TX case and the Black Edition neck strap!!!!!
Oct 21, 2016, 09:12 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Last chance to get those planes ready! I have a few to work on tonight to get ready. Going to try to repair the broken wing spar on my Rocsky Pterodactyl so everyone can get a good
laugh at it's aerial antics tomorrow.

We are expecting a big turnout with the great weather forcast. The Thunderbird Grill and it's dedicated crew are getting ready to turn out some great burgers for the pilots and visitors.

We will have the club 12v charging tables set up for anyone that needs them

Don't forget to bring something that you have done or created that is unique or innovative and interesting to be considered for Joe Jopling Technical Achievement in Electric Powered Flight award.
Last edited by Thomas B; Oct 21, 2016 at 09:18 AM.
Oct 21, 2016, 05:09 PM
Lost in the Sky

Large ARFs for sale at TEX

I will be bringing several hard to find large ARFs to sell at TEX:

DZ ICON A5 Seaplane 71" Foamie $275. Foam only, no motor or servos. Build threads here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1246722 https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ght=DZ+ICON+A5

Nitroplanes (Fly Model XY-226) CL-415 Seaplane ARF $275. 80.7 Wingspan. Fiberglass fuselage and nacelles and built up wood surfaces for glo but has been converted to electric successfully. No motor or servos included. Includes new Parkflyer Plastics clear cockpit canopy molding. Build thread here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=cl+415

Hanger 9 Piper Pawnee 40 80 ARF $275

These would be great subjects to have for the FWTB Winter Float Fly on Sunday November 6: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2758350 You would have to add floats to the Pawnee but I'll bet you'll have the only one there.
Oct 21, 2016, 06:42 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Finished up fixing the Pterodactyl a little while ago. It appears to be capable of flapping tomorrow, so it should fly.
Oct 22, 2016, 03:43 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
We had an awesome day at TEX today. Great weather with a touch of wind.

Here is the lineup in the pits around lunchtime. Lots of planes!

More details to come.
Oct 23, 2016, 09:01 AM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
I had a great time at T.E.X. Winds generally going straight down the runway at 15mph while winds aloft would gust to 24mph! (That is according to my stuff...) It really knocked my FTExplorer around. It did much better when I switched from manual mode after takeoff to autopilot.

There were a lot of great electric RC aircraft and some great pilots. My personal favorite thing to do was slip into a landing with about zero roll-out!

Below is a video from my FPV flight. The beeping that you hear is the telemetry data being sent down the audio channel to my antenna tracker.

FT Explorer Flight at Texas Electric eXpo (6 min 2 sec)

According to my OSD the headwind on the ground was 15-16mph

24mph Tailwind!

Below is the telemetry data used for my antenna tracking system imported into Google Maps so you can see the flight path.

Ricky
My RC Hanagar
Last edited by rickgode; Oct 23, 2016 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply