Sep 01, 2016, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Flashing Opentx to Turnigy 9x

For over a year now I am happy with my Turnigy 9x (Quads, and Y6-Multirotor), but now I want to have more functions and an easier to use menu on my Turnigy 9x.
I have seen Opentx on some Radios, so I gave it a try.
Soldering the connector was easy.
But I do have some problems with flashing Opentx to my Turnigy 9x. I dont now what I am doing wrong, actually I do not really know what settings to use. But as usual learning by doing

I think I have the Usbasp drivers installed correctly.
Insinde Companion 2.1.8 I have selected usb as the "Schnittstelle" (guessing its "port" in english). And as Radio Typ I have selected "9x with stock board and m128 chip".

I was able to read the old firmware (at least I think). AVRdude was reading a long time, the display of my radio did turn of and now I do have a new file.

But when I want to flash AVRdude shows me this:

Code:
C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenTX/Companion 2.1/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m128 -P usb -U flash:r:C:/Users/Leonard/AppData/Local/Temp/1612-flash-check.bin:r
=================================================================================

avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e9702
avrdude.exe: reading flash memory:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 65.65s

avrdude.exe: writing output file "C:/Users/Leonard/AppData/Local/Temp/1612-flash-check.bin"

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.

=================================================================================
C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenTX/Companion 2.1/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m128 -P usb -U eeprom:r:/backup-2016-09-01-191111.bin:r

avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.

avrdude.exe: reading eeprom memory:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 2.00s

avrdude.exe: writing output file "/backup-2016-09-01-191111.bin"

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.

It just reads for a long time, but never wries anything

I hope someone can help me. Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2016, 03:34 AM
Thread OP

Got er9x working

I am now trying to flash er9x instead. But while flashing I got the message that AVRdude could not be finsihed correctly.

But later I was able to flash er9x with a new version of AVRdude I downloaded from here.
Inside the eePe installation folder I just replaced the avrdude.exe and avrdude.conf with the new downloaded versions. And everythig is working fine.

I am still working on getting opentx on my Radio. But for now I am happy with er9x (better than stock firmware).
Oct 01, 2016, 11:52 PM
Hi,

Just to tell that I have exactly the same problem.
I can read normally, but when I try to write, I have the same thing than you, it is doing something but it never write anything apparently because I still have the stock firmware
If someone has an idear...
Thanks

Edit : when we look at the log, it's always doing
-U flash:r:...
and -U eeprom:r:...

the r is only reading.
It never does w which is writing... so something is wrong in an option somewhere but I don't get it...
Last edited by shromilder; Oct 02, 2016 at 12:06 AM.
Oct 02, 2016, 12:25 AM
Back,

Well these time I was able to write OpenTX!
C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenTX/Companion 2.1/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m128 -U flash:r:C:/Users/SHROMI~1/AppData/Local/Temp/7052-flash-check.bin:r
================================================== ===============================

avrdude.exe: reading flash memory:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 66.10s

avrdude.exe: writing output file "C:/Users/SHROMI~1/AppData/Local/Temp/7052-flash-check.bin"

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

================================================== ===============================
C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenTX/Companion 2.1/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m128 -U eeprom:r:E:\Downloads\test/backup-2016-10-02-011628.bin:r

avrdude.exe: reading eeprom memory:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 2.05s

avrdude.exe: writing output file "E:\Downloads\test/backup-2016-10-02-011628.bin"

C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenTX/Companion 2.1/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m128 -U flash:w:E:/Downloads/opentx-9x128-fr-2.1.9.hex:i

avrdude.exe: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude.exe: erasing chip
avrdude.exe: reading input file "E:/Downloads/opentx-9x128-fr-2.1.9.hex"
avrdude.exe: writing flash (51156 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 28.46s

avrdude.exe: 51156 bytes of flash written
avrdude.exe: verifying flash memory against E:/Downloads/opentx-9x128-fr-2.1.9.hex:
avrdude.exe: load data flash data from input file E:/Downloads/opentx-9x128-fr-2.1.9.hex:
avrdude.exe: input file E:/Downloads/opentx-9x128-fr-2.1.9.hex contains 51156 bytes
avrdude.exe: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 25.83s

avrdude.exe: verifying ...
avrdude.exe: 51156 bytes of flash verified

C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenTX/Companion 2.1/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m128 -U eeprom:w:E:\Downloads\test/backup-2016-10-02-011628.bin:r

avrdude.exe: reading input file "E:\Downloads\test/backup-2016-10-02-011628.bin"
avrdude.exe: writing eeprom (4096 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 48.20s

avrdude.exe: 4096 bytes of eeprom written
avrdude.exe: verifying eeprom memory against E:\Downloads\test/backup-2016-10-02-011628.bin:
avrdude.exe: load data eeprom data from input file E:\Downloads\test/backup-2016-10-02-011628.bin:
avrdude.exe: input file E:\Downloads\test/backup-2016-10-02-011628.bin contains 4096 bytes
avrdude.exe: reading on-chip eeprom data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 2.05s

avrdude.exe: verifying ...
avrdude.exe: 4096 bytes of eeprom verified

What I changed is that I've specified a directory for the "Backup folder" in the setting, Radio profile tab, other settings section.
And I've specified a directory in settings, Application settings tab, Automatic backup folder
And I've disconnected and reconnected the USBasp just before clicking on the write firmware to radio button.
So what of those 3 thing made it work...? I don't really know.
Now I have to add some more options to my firmware :P

I hope that will help you
Bye, Shro
Oct 18, 2018, 01:55 PM

er9X works on Turnigy 9X instead of OpenTX

I bought a Turnigy 9X radio recently and wanted to upgrade it to OpenTX firmware, and ran into a lot of problems. I was using USBASP as my programmer.

Problem 1. Could not get AVRDUDE to work as it could not find the USBASP. This seemed to be fixed by using ZADIG 4.2 and asking it to install WCID driver, the second option on the list.
Problem 2. I installed OpenTX Companion 2.2.2 on Windows 10, no problem. Since I had the new "Green" microcontroller in my transmitter, I had to google a lot and then found out I had to select M128 as my option in the preferences. I then backed up the existing software. More about this later....
Problem 3. I installed 2.2.2 firmware. Transmitter is bricked. Lots of googling, I find out that 2.2.2 does not work with Turnigy 9X.
Problem 4. I install Companion 2.1 and install firmware. Transmitter is still bricked.
Problem 5. I try to load the backup software, but Companion 2.1 and 2.2 tell me my backup is not valid.
Problem 6. Install Companion 2.0 and 1.9. Niether works and my transmitter still bricked.
Solution 7. Google google google. Decide to try ER9X. Install software on PC, download firmware to transmitter, make sure to select M128, and transmitter works again!

I hope this info saves someone some time. It is provided to help my fellow modellers.

Quick Reply