Blade Theory Type W FPV Wing - Page 5 - RC Groups
Sep 25, 2016, 09:36 AM
Hey Snoopy,

I'm flying with the "E" version I believe... so it came with everything ready to go. I'm getting ready to go out to the field again today. I'll try to get some video and pictures today.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2016, 01:08 PM
Subscribed. Looks very attractive especially as I am a Blade enthusiast.
Q's:
Did someone say that 4s 1500 packs fit?
Is the möbius canopy included or extra?
Are the upgraded motors a purchase option or just buy and swap?
Laminating sound interesting but what about the extra weight?
Sep 25, 2016, 01:35 PM
I think you could fit a 1500 4s in there, maybe with a möbius... but it'd be tight. I've got the venom 4s 1300 75c pack in the attached picture. The plane comes with both canopy variants and 4 decal sets.
Sep 25, 2016, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the pic. How does the foam hold up in a crash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sep 25, 2016, 09:54 PM
So I've had one bad launch so far.... it was my first attempt at launching with the goggles on, didn't work out so well. I didn't have enough power to pull the plane out on take off and it nosed into the soft grass. The foam nose held up well, and I bent it back into place. Actually the picture I posted above was post incident. The foam on the nose isn't as smooth as it originally was but it has held its shape well.
Sep 26, 2016, 09:39 PM
I would like to know a comparison between the Manta and the Theory? They are both flying FPV wings doin 90-100mph. Whats the difference? So far, I see the Theory is cheaper with same capability. The Manta is a little bigger. Both run on 4S battery. What am I missing?
Sep 27, 2016, 11:40 AM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Just got one of the equipped versions in to demo and I noticed the vtx is powered directly off of the main battery. Typically I'm used to seeing a separate filtered supply powering the vtx either form a bec or distribution board.
Powered up the wing with a 4-cell pack and got a clear picture but upon throttle up and through to full throttle there was noise back-feeding into the vtx causing lines in the picture that grew worse with higher throttle probably from the esc. Tried different bands and channels and no difference. Not flyable like this.
Tried it with a 3-cell pack and the noise was a bit less but still not flyable.

Powered up the vtx with a separate battery and the noise was gone with a clear picture all throughout the throttle range.

Soldered up a 3300/16v cap and installed it between the battery and vtx and it did help lower the noise but not as clear as with the separate battery.

Waiting for a call back from horizon to discuss in more detail but at this point the esc is the culprit and I'm wondering if all of these new esc's are noisy.

I do like the new 1190-type camera with the built-in osd.
Sep 27, 2016, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Just got one of the equipped versions in to demo and I noticed the vtx is powered directly off of the main battery. Typically I'm used to seeing a separate filtered supply powering the vtx either form a bec or distribution board.
Powered up the wing with a 4-cell pack and got a clear picture but upon throttle up and through to full throttle there was noise back-feeding into the vtx causing lines in the picture that grew worse with higher throttle probably from the esc. Tried different bands and channels and no difference. Not flyable like this.
Tried it with a 3-cell pack and the noise was a bit less but still not flyable.

Powered up the vtx with a separate battery and the noise was gone with a clear picture all throughout the throttle range.

Soldered up a 3300/16v cap and installed it between the battery and vtx and it did help lower the noise but not as clear as with the separate battery.

Waiting for a call back from horizon to discuss in more detail but at this point the esc is the culprit and I'm wondering if all of these new esc's are noisy.

I do like the new 1190-type camera with the built-in osd.
Another option is to put a ferrite choke on the camera to VTX line
Sep 27, 2016, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr
Another option is to put a ferrite choke on the camera to VTX line
Tried that as well with little effect.
Also tried tapping power out of the receiver to the vtx and still had the same amount of noise.
Sep 27, 2016, 02:03 PM
I can confirm that I'm getting the same noise as you describe, and it does increase based on throttle input, but it hasn't been so significant in that it isn't flyable.
Sep 28, 2016, 05:45 PM
Sky Soldier
Anyone using a Dx6i ? If so have you set it up yet
Sep 28, 2016, 07:19 PM

Test Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadalwannabe
I can confirm that I'm getting the same noise as you describe, and it does increase based on throttle input, but it hasn't been so significant in that it isn't flyable.
I can say this. I'm no FPV expert but I am an electrical engineer and I have a few Vortex quads, a Theory quad ,several racing wings and several FPV planes and the only one that powers the vtx from the flight battery is the umx Radian. All of the others use an outboard BEC, or a power distribution board to supply the vtx with clean filtered power and the picture transmission is crystal clear under all throttle positions .

The way they chose to power this is wrong. You are inviting any and all nose generated by the motor/esc to travel back on the battery wires and feed right into the vtx this way.
We should not have to install filter caps or a secondary bec to get a noise-free picture. Horizon needs to address this. Compared to my other planes/quads this is the worst out of the box for a noisy picture.

On a better note I took it for a test flight and on 4-cells it is fast !
I like the take-off flight mode. I'm not crazy about the safe flight mode but I feel the same about safe on any plane I fly. The normal flight mode is good,
With my filter cap installed the video was good but not as good as when the vtx is powered by a second battery. Let's get this fixed Horizon !
I think once this thing is laminated with 3 or 5 mil film it will be rock solid and ready to wack some gates !
A minor issue is with the canopy where the slot was cut for the antenna. Using the Spektrum vtx the antenna output is on the opposite side so when the antenna is bent over to come out the slot there is not much sticking up above the canopy. There should be a slot on the right side of the canopy so the antenna can come straight up and out .

Overall I think it will be a winner as long as this vtx power issue or the noisy esc issue is resolved.
Last edited by flyinwalenda; Sep 28, 2016 at 07:28 PM.
Sep 28, 2016, 07:27 PM
Sky Soldier
Just got off the phone with customer support said that it wasn't compatible wit the dx6i , said just go by new radio wasn't helpful or didn't know to much about this plane or could careless. Anyways hope to see some videos soon
Sep 28, 2016, 07:48 PM
Hopefully will have mine in the air tomorrow. Im frsky so pulled the spektrum rx and put in a d4r-ii. Also put in a Foxeer arrow v2 for the osd. The battery doesn't it in the velcro strap very well though and cant really find a good way to mount the unmounted strap without putting it on the side.
Sep 28, 2016, 09:49 PM
Sky Soldier
Like to see what mods people make