Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Sep 06, 2016, 09:57 AM
Sky Soldier
82ndRCFLYER's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julezwatts
Video Aerial Systems and Team Legit are businesses as well but I don't see either of them selling their (Infinitely superior) racing wings at that price range.
I think Johnny sells his RTF wing at $ 479 is what i was told and VAS is probably the same. Although they are much superior wing i agree
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2016, 12:50 PM
Registered User
Shifteer's Avatar
You can laminate these small foam wings and they'll take a good deal of punishment. My laminated mini-skyhunter has taken all kinds of beatings and has never broken, even cartwheeling a half dozen times at high speed. As long as it's laminated and not weighted down too heavily, it just won't have the mass to break easily. Unlaminated though, this thing will break into ten thousand pieces on the first hit.
Sep 06, 2016, 04:13 PM
WOT and going nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifteer
You can laminate these small foam wings and they'll take a good deal of punishment. My laminated mini-skyhunter has taken all kinds of beatings and has never broken, even cartwheeling a half dozen times at high speed. As long as it's laminated and not weighted down too heavily, it just won't have the mass to break easily. Unlaminated though, this thing will break into ten thousand pieces on the first hit.
Big difference. The mini skyhunter is EPP. That foam is almost rubbery and can take a ton of abuse even just by itself. We're looking at an EPO, non laminated wing.
Sep 06, 2016, 08:28 PM
DFS#000178
Rampage's Avatar
I think it's kind of amusing that it has SAFE.
Sep 06, 2016, 09:27 PM
Sky Soldier
82ndRCFLYER's Avatar
i would like to see some reviews on this and more videos , before i pop on this
Sep 07, 2016, 04:17 PM
Blade Brand Manager
The_Steve's Avatar
Hey guys,

Steve Petrotto Here - Brand Manager for Blade.

Just to follow up on a few questions or comments I've read in this thread.

The type of foam on this wing is Z-Foam for sure. Would a more "durable" foam have been better? We don't think so. Why? we've hit trees, gates, concrete, and grass and kept flying. At Drone nationals in my first qualifying run, I hit a tree a 100 mph, went full nose in and flew it again next round. What you guys are missing is this thing is LIGHT. It is competitive with the larger and heavier wings out there too. We were putting out 450 watts at nationals and the rest of the pack was 700+ watts (850 was the limit). You sure as heck can laminate your wings if you want extra durability. Go for it! You have it do it with the other products mentioned in this thread.

It is designed with the same flight pack that everyone is using in the quad racing world (4s 1300). The goal was to make a product that is easy to transport with the removable wings, fast as hell and something that used the same electronics as quad guys are used to. The battery, motor and ESC are clear indicators of our mission. I can't tell you how many quad pilots have told me they don't like wing racing because they don't want to learn how to build a wing. These same people are really excited to try wing racing with something so easy to get into the air.

SAFE? Have you ever seen the comedy that ensues when a typical fpv wing guy has their buddy launch it over their head backwards? We saw numerous crashes on launch at nationals, several resulting in a crash or a dangerous situation. Not to mention, I can launch in the goggles, safely and be out in front of the pack around 60 yards before the next guy is in the air (and in control). For the beginner, he can stay in launch mode and learn to fpv, the advanced guy just as AS3X if he doesn't want safe.

As for the cost, it is a fully built, ready to go FPV wing. Perhaps those of you on this forum know exactly what to buy and how to build a wing, but I know many people in this market aren't looking to build or source FPV equipment. Convenience is worth something.

I normally don't post on forums because the negativity is so crazy its just not worth it. Especially when people jump to conclusions about something they haven't even seen. We made the worlds team with this airplane. I think it deserves a little more positivity! It is a really a great product.
Sep 07, 2016, 04:23 PM
RCGroups Editor
Matt Gunn's Avatar
Excellent comment, Steve.
Sep 07, 2016, 06:53 PM
WOT and going nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by spetrotto
Hey guys,

Steve Petrotto Here - Brand Manager for Blade.

Just to follow up on a few questions or comments I've read in this thread.

The type of foam on this wing is Z-Foam for sure. Would a more "durable" foam have been better? We don't think so. Why? we've hit trees, gates, concrete, and grass and kept flying. At Drone nationals in my first qualifying run, I hit a tree a 100 mph, went full nose in and flew it again next round. What you guys are missing is this thing is LIGHT. It is competitive with the larger and heavier wings out there too. We were putting out 450 watts at nationals and the rest of the pack was 700+ watts (850 was the limit). You sure as heck can laminate your wings if you want extra durability. Go for it! You have it do it with the other products mentioned in this thread.

It is designed with the same flight pack that everyone is using in the quad racing world (4s 1300). The goal was to make a product that is easy to transport with the removable wings, fast as hell and something that used the same electronics as quad guys are used to. The battery, motor and ESC are clear indicators of our mission. I can't tell you how many quad pilots have told me they don't like wing racing because they don't want to learn how to build a wing. These same people are really excited to try wing racing with something so easy to get into the air.

SAFE? Have you ever seen the comedy that ensues when a typical fpv wing guy has their buddy launch it over their head backwards? We saw numerous crashes on launch at nationals, several resulting in a crash or a dangerous situation. Not to mention, I can launch in the goggles, safely and be out in front of the pack around 60 yards before the next guy is in the air (and in control). For the beginner, he can stay in launch mode and learn to fpv, the advanced guy just as AS3X if he doesn't want safe.

As for the cost, it is a fully built, ready to go FPV wing. Perhaps those of you on this forum know exactly what to buy and how to build a wing, but I know many people in this market aren't looking to build or source FPV equipment. Convenience is worth something.

I normally don't post on forums because the negativity is so crazy its just not worth it. Especially when people jump to conclusions about something they haven't even seen. We made the worlds team with this airplane. I think it deserves a little more positivity! It is a really a great product.
Thank you so much for spending the time to share your comments Steve. It's extremely valuable to have someone who's actually worked on the project come and share their views. I think it speaks very highly of you and your team that you're taking the time to post here regarding the product.

Now that you explain the weight factor, I entirely understand how the Z- foam mixture may stand up as well as some of the other EPP wings that are so prevalent in racing (I'm a self- proclaimed VAS airplane fanboy). However, off the track when people are no longer flying a course with flexible fiberglass gates, they're going to be smashing this thing into trees and rocks, snagging on branches and metal posts. It's in these sort of off the beaten path situations where an EPP wing really proves how durable it is, and it's because of the primary behavior of the foam- EPP doesn't crush. It bounces. Even with a light wing I can imagine that after a few good smacks against a tree or a branch there is going to be compression along the leading edge. Granted I've not spent that much time with the Z foam mixture but I have never seen a foam that behaves the same way that EPP does.

I also entirely understand your point about SAFE and AS3X. For the beginner they're both great systems that make the aircraft so much easier to fly. However, at the competition level these systems, even AS3X, can seem like somewhat of an unfair advantage. I know that there are some who use flight control boards in their wings, but from what I hear having a stabilization or even a primitive autopilot system on a racing wing is somewhat frowned upon. Is there any chance that both the SAFE and AS3X systems can be disabled? If not out of the box, perhaps a programming update?

Again, thanks for chiming in. I hope that my comments don't discourage you from replying; I'm just hoping that we can get some more answers from the people who know the product best.
Sep 07, 2016, 07:39 PM
Blade Brand Manager
The_Steve's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julezwatts
Thank you so much for spending the time to share your comments Steve. It's extremely valuable to have someone who's actually worked on the project come and share their views. I think it speaks very highly of you and your team that you're taking the time to post here regarding the product.

Now that you explain the weight factor, I entirely understand how the Z- foam mixture may stand up as well as some of the other EPP wings that are so prevalent in racing (I'm a self- proclaimed VAS airplane fanboy). However, off the track when people are no longer flying a course with flexible fiberglass gates, they're going to be smashing this thing into trees and rocks, snagging on branches and metal posts. It's in these sort of off the beaten path situations where an EPP wing really proves how durable it is, and it's because of the primary behavior of the foam- EPP doesn't crush. It bounces. Even with a light wing I can imagine that after a few good smacks against a tree or a branch there is going to be compression along the leading edge. Granted I've not spent that much time with the Z foam mixture but I have never seen a foam that behaves the same way that EPP does.

I also entirely understand your point about SAFE and AS3X. For the beginner they're both great systems that make the aircraft so much easier to fly. However, at the competition level these systems, even AS3X, can seem like somewhat of an unfair advantage. I know that there are some who use flight control boards in their wings, but from what I hear having a stabilization or even a primitive autopilot system on a racing wing is somewhat frowned upon. Is there any chance that both the SAFE and AS3X systems can be disabled? If not out of the box, perhaps a programming update?

Again, thanks for chiming in. I hope that my comments don't discourage you from replying; I'm just hoping that we can get some more answers from the people who know the product best.
Totally agree with you on the foam. EPP will most likely survive even the craziest crashes where Z foam will take damage. The good news is that there are replacement parts available .

About SAFE/AS3X. It currently cannot be turned off. However, we flew in nationals and no rule was in place to prevent the use of AS3X or any other stabilization system. The worlds are coming up and there again is not a rule against stabilization. Frowned upon? we talked openly about it at nationals and some guys even said we were doing ourselves an injustice since the surfaces are more active which slow us down. That didn't turn out to be the case

I personally do not feel give an unfair advantage, but that could be argued, I suppose. I'll double check with James on the programming, but its likely it could be turned off with a program update in the future.

Horizon products have always tried to appeal to the masses and make it easy for people to enjoy parts of the hobby with little to no expertise in setup, building or otherwise. I think the theory W does just that!
Sep 07, 2016, 08:02 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
sparrow1717's Avatar
$99 for airframe only. Sprinkle in some of the FPV bits you might have laying around and you've got what appears to be a decent FPV wing to dip your toes in. hmm..5in prop. Wonder if a 2204-2300kv multi-rotor moto would work.
** just read through the actual specs. 2205s used. multirotor motors doable it seems. I bet quite a few of us have a spare 2204/2205 laying around.

Perhaps I can get some clubmates to get some and have some true FPV wing carnage!

Spar
Last edited by sparrow1717; Sep 07, 2016 at 10:26 PM.
Sep 08, 2016, 05:03 AM
Registered User
So how does this wing compare to the Blade Manta?
Sep 08, 2016, 09:30 AM
Registered User
Mac Smith's Avatar
I actually kind of like it.

It would need to be able to haul 4S 1550mAh batteries though to be interesting for me.
Sep 08, 2016, 10:16 AM
Sky Soldier
82ndRCFLYER's Avatar
Thanks Steve for comments, it does look like it has potential. I see where you guys are going with the motors , escs, Fpv camera & VTX. The price isn't to far i might pop on this one but when will it be available ? The launching of these wings is important i tried a hand launch on one of my smaller wings and got bit(finger) so i think its a nice feature to have for launches. Some of us guys do fly alone sometimes. Pre Order only?
Sep 08, 2016, 10:52 AM
Blade Brand Manager
The_Steve's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Smith
I actually kind of like it.

It would need to be able to haul 4S 1550mAh batteries though to be interesting for me.
those work
Sep 08, 2016, 11:05 AM
Blade Brand Manager
The_Steve's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ndRCFLYER
Thanks Steve for comments, it does look like it has potential. I see where you guys are going with the motors , escs, Fpv camera & VTX. The price isn't to far i might pop on this one but when will it be available ? The launching of these wings is important i tried a hand launch on one of my smaller wings and got bit(finger) so i think its a nice feature to have for launches. Some of us guys do fly alone sometimes. Pre Order only?
These will be available at the end of Sept for sure. They are being Aired in. production is complete.