Blade Theory Type W FPV Wing

A great entry into the fast paced world of wing racing.

Blade Theory Type W FPV Wing

A Ready-to-Race Flying Wing

Just like quad racing, wing racing has gained traction quickly, albiet a little bit behind the established multirotor race scene. Blade has recognized the surge in popularity of small and fast flying wings that conform to racing league standards, and developed the Theory Type W. This 29" Z-Foam wing sports 9g metal-geared servos, a race-friendly 200mw VTx, and with a 4s LiPo in the 1300mAh range, can top out around 90mph, which is fast enough for entry level racing.

The Theory Type W retails for $299.99 and is currently on pre-order.

Features:

• AS3X Stabilization with included AR636 receiver
  • Modular removable wings
  • HD camera ready
  • 700TVL camera and 200mw 5.8GHz VTx
  • Three custom decal kits

CLICK HERE for more info on the all new Blade Theory Type W FPV Wing

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Sep 01, 2016 at 12:14 PM..
Sep 01, 2016, 03:53 PM
I'd like to know more about the race gates in the photo. Does Horizon make race gates? My search didn't show anything in the USA.
Sep 01, 2016, 04:27 PM
Thelongranger
I'm thrilled to see more people taking an interest in fixed wing fpv. To me it's a lot more fun. But I think this will not be for me.
Sep 02, 2016, 09:26 AM
The Zfoam is great for airplanes, but wings that hit gates, trees and the ground a lot need not be made of Zfoam.
You will spend more time fixing than flying.
Speaking from experience here.

I do like the design.
Sep 02, 2016, 12:00 PM
Corrupt Member
Manual up & looking good:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/BLH03055_Manual_US.pdf

Nice to see a CCD cam from stock as well as support for Runcam ect & possible 8 min fights.
Sep 02, 2016, 12:50 PM
Team Legit pilot & DFWC Prez
Looks good for traveling and fun flying but yeah not so much for racing. You need a laminated EPP plane unless you're only doing pylon racing.

For gaps, gates, and trees, lammed EPP is the only way to go. Hit a gate or flag with the Theory W and you can expect a confetti party.

That said, I AM VERY GLAD HORIZON IS PUTTING THIS OUT!!! I heard these flew awesome at Drone Nationals. A step in the right direction Horizon!!!!
Sep 02, 2016, 04:25 PM
aRCee Moloko [YT]
Nice canopy design, for the rest it looks like a scaled down (or to hot washed) Skywalker Falcon

But 300,- on pre-order for a EPO wing with a basic FPV setup?
I find that rather overpriced. And as mentioned above EPP is the way to go for wings like this.

Good thing is that it looks like they used a HS1177 camera, but a FPV setup like that is normaly around 65,- bucks including everything you need. So 235,- for a basic EPO flying wing, with a nice canopy setup..

And a 1300mAh lipo for a FPV setup does not look that attractive either.

Same as with the Blade Manta FPV, these products are almost an insult to the FPV community at these price points.. sorry but simply can't be anny more positive about this.

.. Although I have to say it's nice they starting to use XT60's
Last edited by Justapoke; Sep 02, 2016 at 04:31 PM.
Sep 03, 2016, 11:34 AM
May be its made for people that dont hit race gates and trees?
Sep 03, 2016, 09:07 PM
Team Legit pilot & DFWC Prez
Quote:
Originally Posted by fATAL
Sounds like you don't fly race wings
Sep 04, 2016, 02:11 AM
No, but they pylon race in RL without dying, minus the occasional mid air collision..... perhaps these courses should be set up properly. People are being negative ... It may be challenging to race ... If you cant hack a rally race, dont spend 150k on a rally car ... you know ...
Sep 04, 2016, 02:15 AM
aRCee Moloko [YT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fATAL
They sure don't advertise it for the typical "slowflyer". ?

Blade Theory Type W FPV Equipped & FPV Ready BNF Basic (2 min 29 sec)

I think it's more made for people that still think it's hard to buy and install your own FPV setup. Or for those that somehow still think you get higher quality when going with this brand.

There will always be some who buy it, but at this pricepoint it's never gonna be populair. Same as with the flopped Manta, hardly anny post about it on rcgroups, and the few post you find are not positieve either.

To bad, I do like the looks of it. Sell it as a KIT for 60,- / 70,- bucks without powertrain and servo's, and I might actualy buy one at some point.

But still a lot other options in that low price range.

You can get the bigger Multiplex Xeno for example, that also has the better quality EPO and comes apart for transport.

The Sonic FX seems to be nice and even includes everything for that price.

The Skyfun is still very populair even as it's EPS foam, but with some work it's one of the best flying airframes.

And than there are a lot of other options in EPP.. I just don't understand what Horizon is trying to do with these wings, at these crazy high price points. It simply has nothing that justifies spending 300,- bucks on this.
Sep 04, 2016, 02:28 AM
aRCee Moloko [YT]
Whoops.. something goes wrong. Never mind...
Last edited by Justapoke; Sep 04, 2016 at 02:32 AM. Reason: dubbel post
Sep 05, 2016, 02:45 PM
Same Day Delivery
Horizions business model is to price at the highest sellable point......To Make Money, As Much as Possible. If they don't sell at this point, they will discount them! They are a business.
Sep 05, 2016, 04:03 PM
WOT and going nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976
Horizions business model is to price at the highest sellable point......To Make Money, As Much as Possible. If they don't sell at this point, they will discount them! They are a business.
Video Aerial Systems and Team Legit are businesses as well but I don't see either of them selling their (Infinitely superior) racing wings at that price range.
Sep 05, 2016, 11:03 PM
The end of it becomes "How long can you wait for business".