Jul 12, 2019, 09:15 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Another way to visualize scale-appearing speed:

Just think about/remember how fast a plane that's doing 350-400+ MPH goes by on a low pass during an airshow, if you've got a front-row seat. It's a dot, a few seconds later it's in your face, a few seconds later it's a dot again.

Now...emulate that with your model, so that it traverses your field-of-view in the same period of time as the full-scale, at the distance where it appears to be the same size (occupies the same number of degrees of your field-of-view) as the full-scale screaming by. That's scale-appearing speed.

Turns out that a 1/2-scale model should fly at ~70.7% full-scale speed. A 1/3rd-scale model should fly at ~57.74% full-scale speed. A 1/4-scale model should fly at 50% full-scale speed. A 1/8th-scale model should fly at ~35.36% full-scale speed. A 1/10th-scale model should fly at ~31.62% full-scale speed.

Take this from fast fighters to, say a 150 HP PA-18 Super Cub that has a cruise speed of 115 MPH:

A 1/2-scale would cruise at ~81.3 MPH. A 1/3rd-scale would cruise at ~66.4 MPH. A 1/4-scale would cruise at 57.5 MPH. A 1/8th-scale would cruise at ~40.66 MPH. A 10th-scale would cruise at ~33.36 MPH.

See? That doesn't sound unreasonable at all, does it? It's only when RCers start discussing scale speeds of fast stuff that people argue against the standard scale-appearing speed formula.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 12, 2019 at 09:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2019, 10:50 PM
Does it have invasion stripes?
Heres a beach flight with the Jug...

Ute's Sunday P-47 Jug Fly 2 (6 min 24 sec)
Jul 12, 2019, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoUteFan
Has anyone here used the T-28 1.2m 3-blade prop on the 1.2m P-47 or the 1.2m Corsair?

Been using the T28 prop on my 1.2m P40 for awhile now. Great thrust, quieter, and less P factor on takeoff. I like it much better than the stock 4 blader

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jul 13, 2019, 12:21 AM
Does it have invasion stripes?
Nice. Did you paint the tips yellow instead of the white/red?
Jul 13, 2019, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoUteFan
Nice. Did you paint the tips yellow instead of the white/red?

I did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jul 14, 2019, 04:50 PM
I have the Spektrum GPS unit in mine and with full throttle pass from straight and level with stock plane and 3s 3300mah battery it is reporting 65 mph over the ground. Plenty fast for me.
Jul 18, 2019, 07:18 PM
Frank's
Greetings fellow P-47 flyers! This is one of my most beloved models! It's the first warbird I flew larger than the ultra micro FMS 800mm wingspan birds! Been a while since I had this one out, and forgot how much more sensitive the controls are compared to my 1400s. Here are clips of a few flights. Awesome flyer, and field handler!

Testing out the trim and balance before putting the RunCam 2 on
E-flite P-47D Razorback Flt 53 Tracking beautifully! Bugs around my leg! Fly with that big airliner! (7 min 43 sec)

Fun flying and racing the 6 cell powered Flex Innovations Cessna 170
(View from ground)
E-flite P-47D Razorback Flt 56 FI Cessna racing! Could have been better, I'll take it! (Grnd view) (9 min 45 sec)

(On-board RunCam 2 view)
E-flite P-47D Razorback Flt 56 FI Cessna racing! Could have been better, I'll take it! (RC2 view) (9 min 40 sec)

More fun flying and loops with the Flex Innovations Cesna 170
(View from ground)
E-flite P-47D Razorback Flt 57 FI Cessna 170! Hello again! On your 6! Hot on its' tail! (Grnd view) (8 min 32 sec)

(On-board RunCam 2 view)
E-flite P-47D Razorback Flt 57 FI Cessna 170! Hello again! On your 6! Hot on its' tail! (RC2 view) (8 min 26 sec)
Jul 18, 2019, 08:58 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
aaah you beat me to it and glad to see that it hauls that 3S 3000 and still makes that speed

I have an rx with telemetry and a GPS that has been waiting to get installed for waaay too long, its been sitting here begging to be put to use since last summer lol

like everyone else I've been flying this 47 a fair amount and recently decided that just for goofin' around I am going to pull the stock rx out and install the telemetry gear and do a few test runs on a calm day, nothing super scientific, but one with the recommended (lightest) 3S 2200 with stock prop and then some more sort of like this (with the stock prop) and a couple other squadron favs but the same lipo lineup:

on the stock 10.5x8 4-blade
3S 2200 40C
3S 3200 30C
4S 2500 50C
4S 3600 50C

and then with a 3 blade and possibly a 2 if I get bored... will have to bench test with the watts-up meter of course before test flights
I'm curious what some WOT flat\level runs with the different lipos will be and then what the max climbing speed would be interesting to see too...

thanks for posting that speed run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyindy
I have the Spektrum GPS unit in mine and with full throttle pass from straight and level with stock plane and 3s 3300mah battery it is reporting 65 mph over the ground. Plenty fast for me.
Jul 22, 2019, 12:10 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
one thing that seems to happen ea time I fly a spirited flight with a few WOT low pass runs, climbs or dives is the canopy unexpectedly pops up, not completely off though. I can't say I have figured out when it actually happens but the canopy comes loose from the rear magnet end and is tilted up as though someone was lifting it off... I notice it on the flybys and land it, reattach and take back off but one day I'm skeer'd I'm gonna loose the canopy so I'll added a stronger magnet to the rear area... maybe along the L\R sides, not sure yet

is this happening to anyone else?

wonder if the air coming inside of the fuse from the cowl and pushing through the fuse and popping the canopy up or is the airframe torquing in a bendy way to break the connection of the magnet?

hhmm...

Jul 22, 2019, 03:33 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
added some magnets to the canopy hatch... will be testing it here shortly
Jul 22, 2019, 07:08 PM
Tyro of the Hudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy
one thing that seems to happen ea time I fly a spirited flight with a few WOT low pass runs, climbs or dives is the canopy unexpectedly pops up, not completely off though. I can't say I have figured out when it actually happens but the canopy comes loose from the rear magnet end and is tilted up as though someone was lifting it off... I notice it on the flybys and land it, reattach and take back off but one day I'm skeer'd I'm gonna loose the canopy so I'll added a stronger magnet to the rear area... maybe along the L\R sides, not sure yet

wonder if the air coming inside of the fuse from the cowl and pushing through the fuse and popping the canopy up or is the airframe torquing in a bendy way to break the connection of the magnet?

hhmm

Most likely the air pressure inside.
Jul 22, 2019, 09:08 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
ok, yeah, that's what I am thinking.... it must be a somewhat common occurrence then for a lot of guyz, at least for the ones that occasionally drop the hammer on their 47's and do power climbs, dives, loops and other frame stressing maneuvers heheh

though I don't recall this issue with my first E-flite razorback 'Deacon' .... maybe I didn't push it as hard as I am his replacement

the pilot said he is thankful he did not have to eject today, he stayed firmly and happily seated with the new and improved canopy hatch (earth mags)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelonSteel
Most likely the air pressure inside.
Jul 23, 2019, 01:07 AM
Quote:

hhmm...

Happened to me.

I was pretty nervous about losing it so I rushed the landing and ended up in the tall grass with no damage.

I was flying on 4S and making some spirited passes but Im not sure exactly when it popped up at the rear. I snapped it back down and flew the rest of the pack without issue.
Jul 23, 2019, 09:21 AM
Registered Cajun
Quote:

hhmm...

Happened to me with my T-28 on 4s...added magnets on it and then on my P-47 (flying 4s) after the T-28 incident (just in case).

T-28 1.2m 4s Canopy Fail 7-8-18 (2 min 38 sec)
Last edited by CLB63; Jul 23, 2019 at 09:56 AM.
Jul 23, 2019, 05:47 PM
Tyro of the Hudson
Quote:
ok, yeah, that's what I am thinking.... it must be a somewhat common occurrence then for a lot of guyz, at least for the ones that occasionally drop the hammer on their 47's and do power climbs, dives, loops and other frame stressing maneuvers heheh

though I don't recall this issue with my first E-flite razorback 'Deacon' .... maybe I didn't push it as hard as I am his replacement

the pilot said he is thankful he did not have to eject today, he stayed firmly and happily seated with the new and improved canopy hatch (earth mags)

I am no expert but you have cooling air flow through by design. Upping the power and speed might exceed the original magnet design thoughts. Youre getting extra air and pressure.

Quick Reply