RBC Kits F-100 Super Sabre 70mm EDF - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 31, 2016, 09:59 AM
The stalling italian
Build Log

RBC Kits F-100 Super Sabre 70mm EDF

Hello all!

After a year break from RC planes, the bug bit me again, and I am starting to think I will never get rid of it!

At the beginning of 2013 I bought this kit from RBC of the "Hun" but life got in the way and I never got to open it. For some unknown reasons, while camping this summer, I decided that I really NEEDED to build it...immediately!
This is my second balsa build, the first being a scratch built Ugly Stick (which actually was beautiful!) which did not survive the maiden. Let's cross fingers for this one.

I have all the electronics already at home, except for the batteries, which I am waiting to buy until the build is done, so I can get the maximum capacity depending on the CG balance.

So, these are the components:

Motor : HK2836 2800kv
ESC: Turnigy Plush 60A
Fan: HK 70mm 6 blades
Servos: HK 939MG
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2016, 10:05 AM
The stalling italian
The kit appears to be really well made: the balsa planks are quite consistent and the CNC cut is very precise.

There is a CD in the box which I cannot read because my computer does not have a CD reader, but I suppose that it contains the instructions, which you can download from the website.

No markings or stickers though, which I imagined I would find in the box.

I started with the wing, as stated in the instructions, and this is what it is looking like:
Aug 31, 2016, 11:53 AM
Pro Hoarder
Very cool.. RBC makes great kits. and the Hun flys great from what I have seen. There is some old builds here on RCG. Your motor has a pretty low KV you will need to be 5s or 6s on the battery cell count. I will be watching your build
Aug 31, 2016, 12:45 PM
The stalling italian
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
Very cool.. RBC makes great kits. and the Hun flys great from what I have seen. There is some old builds here on RCG. Your motor has a pretty low KV you will need to be 5s or 6s on the battery cell count. I will be watching your build
Thanks Turbonut for your comment, I read your very knowledgeable comments everywhere on the forum and I am happy to have you following along!
Also, I only read positive feedback on their kits, I am super excited to dig in.

The motor is this one. It says 4S, for up to 1200g models, and I believed it
I guess that I will install it and see how it performs on the bench on 4S and take it from there.
Aug 31, 2016, 01:55 PM
Pro Hoarder
Depending on the load from the fan rotor it may be a bit low. But also low current draw for small batteries...My 70mm jets with low blade count fans like wemo pro or eflite I run 3600 kv for 4s but that needs a 4000mah pack which may be a bit large for this plane. I would think 3000 to 3200 would be a closer set up. But until you run the fan up to see how much load it has I am just guessing.
Aug 31, 2016, 03:09 PM
Hello Gio,

Thanks for the link and specialy starting the build of the Hun, I hope you will enjoy the build .
Will follow your every move on the build and look forward to many pics.

Ton
Aug 31, 2016, 04:41 PM
This will be interesting to watch..Subscribed.
Sep 01, 2016, 04:59 AM
The stalling italian
Thanks guys for jumping in!

Some more progress: the wings are done. Some mistakes here and there, but they came out straight and pretty symmetrical.
The fact that there are no ailerons made the build very easy.

Now I do not think I will have any more time until the weekend, but the fuse looks like it is as easy as the wing, so I cannot wait to start.
Sep 01, 2016, 11:40 AM
The stalling italian
In the meantime I am thinking about the finishing and the livery of the plane: I do not think I will glass it and paint it, it is not something I am particularly good at, and every attempt resulted in super heavy results; something I am much better at is applying shrink film, so unless some of you guys have some reasons for me not to go with film...I started to think about liveries.

I really like the aluminium finish, and Hobbyking has a really good roll of light silver which replicates the effect pretty well. Then i have some yellow, some red, some blue and some white, and ideally I would stick to those colours.

Some options I fancy are the following, but the ones I like the most are the 822 and 262, based here in France at the Chaumont A.B. in 1958.

For now it is a bit early to think about colours, but having a clear goal makes me work better...and faster!
Sep 01, 2016, 11:46 AM
Pro Hoarder
Nice work...I love these balsa builds...I like 822 i have been getting my K&A ready for that finnish
Sep 02, 2016, 12:38 AM
Been thinking about getting one of these myself. Be following your build for sure. FWIW, I like the SE Asia camo scheme. Glutton for punishment, cause if it goes down in the woods, Good Luck . They also tend to disappear on final approach...
Sep 02, 2016, 05:20 AM
The stalling italian
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335driver
Been thinking about getting one of these myself. Be following your build for sure. FWIW, I like the SE Asia camo scheme.

Yes, I really dig the camo too, and I especially appreciate the role the "Huns" had in Vietnam, but as you say it is not very practical (I prefer it on a static model) and because I am a sucker for the early jets era, the aluminium finish is something that I wanted to do for a while!
Sep 02, 2016, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335driver
Been thinking about getting one of these myself. Be following your build for sure. FWIW, I like the SE Asia camo scheme. Glutton for punishment, cause if it goes down in the woods, Good Luck . They also tend to disappear on final approach...
Yeah...that's what I'd be worried about. Although Silver tends to blend in with the sky too....I need contrasting bright colors so I always end up customizing what ever I am flying.. I try to stay true to the era and scheme of the aircraft so I look for color schemes they really did use. I had decided on either of these schemes for mine.
Sep 02, 2016, 11:38 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
erospawn, I like the first one white over red. Everyone has to do there own thing when it comes to visibility and keeping true to the era and plane. I myself have a thing with orange Always nice to pick your paint scheme ahead of time. When I get around to building my Yellow F-18, I'm going with this--
Sep 02, 2016, 06:08 PM
The stalling italian
Ok, so today I could spend some more time on the Hun and I quickly whipped up the skeleton of the fuse and of the tail section. Maybe too quickly because I have the impression that the tail is a bit crooked.

Now I have to slow down a lot because the instructions (generally very clear) lack infos about the installation of the pushrods in the tail section. Referring to the plan it looks like I have to bend the rod twice and insert it through the fuselage, but I am not sure what holds it in place? Tomorrow I will post a picture to better show what I mean.

In the meantime I closed off the bottom of the tail section, and started sanding it. It is looking pretty good, except that the two top-rear stringers, which are supposed to hold the tail fin, are not really straight and I am afraid that the tail fin will be tilted to the left
I know it is not too late (even if the two stringers are glued) and that means that the whole tail section is a bit crooked, but I figured that the most important thing is to get the tail fin and horizontal stabs as perfect as I can, and that I can do by cheating a bit.

Is there a way you guys make sure the fin is vertical and the stabs parallel to each others and to the wings?